• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Luggage Trailer

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like it and would buy. However, your gap between car and trailer is too small. It is definitely a pinch point on a sharp turn and very difficult to back more than a car length.
Having the narrower rear would make a shorter turn radius possible without the pinch on the wider cars. But it would take some serious getting used to. I suspect I would just unhitch and move a trailer that light by hand.

But looking at the drawing again, you do need enough room to get to the hitch.

Last edited:

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like it and would buy. However, your gap between car and trailer is too small. It is definitely a pinch point on a sharp turn and very difficult to back more than a car length.
Yep, I knew that right as I started scribbling. I think though with the width of the Elio rear end the gap can be much smaller than most vehicles would need. Smaller gap should mean better mileage when towing. It's just a concept anyway.

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If Elio never approves a trailer I think it will be a matter if time before someone figures out how to do it. I think it is a risky proposition from a safety perspective. Human nature dictates that the trailer will be over loaded and with that weight pushing the back of the Elio with one tire worth of traction in a corner could be an accident waiting to happen. I could be wrong, but I think I will pass on any trailer. Just my 2 cents!

As long as there are motorcycle trailers being used safely (and there are), I see no reason something similar couldn't be used with the Elio...the trick will be in keeping the total trailer weight (weight of trailer plus the weight of its contents) as low as possible...

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, I knew that right as I started scribbling. I think though with the width of the Elio rear end the gap can be much smaller than most vehicles would need. Smaller gap should mean better mileage when towing. It's just a concept anyway.
Make a lightweight flexible "sleeve" to enclose the gap and smooth out the line.

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Make a lightweight flexible "sleeve" to enclose the gap and smooth out the line.
That thought crossed my mind, something like what they do on articulated buses. Flexible might mean it would flap in the airstream and that might be worse for aerodynamics. And the noise would just get obnoxious. But certainly an idea someone with more skill and knowledge about this stuff should at least explore.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would think this one would be perfect for towing behind the Elio...

These Harbor Freight trailers seem to be a favorite among the touring bike owners. IIRC, there is a list of "upgrades" folks have done with these to make them "outstanding" trailers for the $$.
My opinion...I want a much narrower trailer. Something that will fit in the "slipstream"...with only one wheel. ;):D

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
One thing I can see wrong with the HF Trailer is 8" wheels.
How fast are those little wheels spinning at 70+mph?

I like HF Trailers, I've got a 4'x8' I bought 10 years ago; I just got done completely rebuilding the box I built for it.
I also had to replace the wheel bearings once now; original ones were smoking going down the road at 4 years old (fully overloaded, and over rated speed; I can't understand how that happened ;) )

Other than that, I've never had a problem with it.

Top Bottom