• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Made In America

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is a car built in Mexico Made in America? The answer is entirely based on politics and not common sense. Technically, all building of products in North and South America can be considered Made in America. We think it means Made in the USA. But the Elio has significant parts suppliers in Canada. In fact, I don't think we're close to 90% made in USA with the engine. Then, does final assembly in the USA make everything assembled, both foreign and domestic, made in the USA? Once again, a political answer to the basic question.

Whatever the political definitions, I hope production starts with as many Made in USA parts as possible as soon as possible. I eagerly await an announcement that the building of the E1f-w are underway. That is the next major milestone. The one after that is the ATVM loan or the Fleet build, depending on whether they have the funding for the fleet build without the ATVM.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Historically, the manufacture of low profit, easy to build items is relegated to the poorest capable nation... As each area increases their standard of living, that type of manufacturing moves to the next country. Making $1 a day would lower most of our standards of living but actually raises some people's standards of living. Let them have it... Think about where cheap goods came from .... Mexico, China, Korea, Thailand... It used to be that Korea only made shoes and textiles... moved to cheap electronics (Goldstar which later became LG)... cheap autos and finally, they are regularly seen as making good cars. We move the less profitable items to other areas and keep the profitable things here. It's been that way since the dawn of time and won't stop any time soon.

With an effective unemployment rate of zero, (4.9% is the actual rate) the value of labor is higher when we manufacture higher margin goods. There are only so many people willing/able to work in manufacturing and we need to utilize those the best we can.

Manufacturing in the US will continue but will probably continue to require fewer and fewer unskilled or mildly skilled laborers as we automate and become more efficient in our processes. It isn't that we can't make cheap cars here, its just that we can do other things with those same people that makes more fiscal sense. Yes, I want the Elio to be made here anyway. But, from a world-view, it may make more sense for it to be built elsewhere. This is a function of Economics and not some other word that ends in "...ics"

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000

Last edited:

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is a car built in Mexico Made in America? The answer is entirely based on politics and not common sense. Technically, all building of products in North and South America can be considered Made in America. We think it means Made in the USA. But the Elio has significant parts suppliers in Canada. In fact, I don't think we're close to 90% made in USA with the engine. Then, does final assembly in the USA make everything assembled, both foreign and domestic, made in the USA? Once again, a political answer to the basic question.

Whatever the political definitions, I hope production starts with as many Made in USA parts as possible as soon as possible. I eagerly await an announcement that the building of the E1f-w are underway. That is the next major milestone. The one after that is the ATVM loan or the Fleet build, depending on whether they have the funding for the fleet build without the ATVM.

Nothing to do with politics Marshall! If the cars rolls out of the assembly plant in the USA, then it's made in America. It does not matter how many foreign parts/materials was used in making it (those foreign parts can also be stamped say, licensed by GM but made in say Mexico, etc.). A Toyota car assembled in Mexico should say made in Mexico. On a related note, a pregnant "foreign" woman on an airplane suddenly gave birth as it entered the USA airspace automatically makes the baby US born thus automatic US citizenship.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nothing to do with politics Marshall! If the cars rolls out of the assembly plant in the USA, then it's made in America. It does not matter how many foreign parts/materials was used in making it (those foreign parts can also be stamped say, licensed by GM but made in say Mexico, etc.). A Toyota car assembled in Mexico should say made in Mexico. On a related note, a pregnant "foreign" woman on an airplane suddenly gave birth as it entered the USA airspace automatically makes the baby US born thus automatic US citizenship.
but if that same plane crashes in Canada, where do they bury the survivors?

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Under bureaucratic red tape....BAM!!!...back to politics. :eek::shocked: sorry Coss, couldn't help it:pop2:

cZXBqJy.gif

Top Bottom