• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Mature People Only?

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I check out most members information, and it seems to me, most of us are between 40-75 years old. Why is that? we need more "20 somethings" to get interested in this vehicle! Anyone have any ideas how to convince the younger generation that this, could be the next big thing in transportation? At 47, I feel out of touch with them, but if something in their world takes off in social media, it can go gang busters in a matter of days. Any thoughts?

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I check out most members information, and it seems to me, most of us are between 40-75 years old. Why is that? we need more "20 somethings" to get interested in this vehicle! Anyone have any ideas how to convince the younger generation that this, could be the next big thing in transportation? At 47, I feel out of touch with them, but if something in their world takes off in social media, it can go gang busters in a matter of days. Any thoughts?
Although it is true about mature people being in the majority, we are getting more under 40 people now and we have one young man who is 19. I believe he is the youngest - or at least the youngest that we know of. There are some people who don't list their birth year so we have no idea of their age, obviously. There is one advantage I have being handicapped - I make a point of addressing the young people I meet at stores, the YMCA and other places I go by showing them my bumper sticker or other materials I have printed out. I am always appreciative of their assistance and I let them know it. The young women I have spoken to were very interested in the idea of having a new car that got good mileage and only cost $6800. And they loved the Elio look! LOL :-) Z

Reaction score
Young folks have families and responsibilities. Well, I remember when I was in my 20 - 30's, I didn't have two nickles to rub together and if I did I treated the kids to a school lunch (not recommended now a days, their lunches suck now). I believe they are being more cautious then us 'old folks'. Plus, with our experience we know a good deal and we also have the time to research stuff. Just wait till they see us on the road with our elios, they will come around.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's not the younger are not interested in the Elio. It's they are not interested in this forum.
Talking with an EM rep in Columbus, he stated there is a different forum with ton's of young people on it. He could not remember the link.
That sounds about right. And too, I think the other principle site(s) is a bit more cantankerous than this one. For this one we seem to have a more long term picture of the Elio as a social question. As far as those others, Elioclub org is one. Elio3wheel com is another.
In the past I've been on EV groups, three wheeler groups, cabinscooter groups, Open Source Vehicle groups.
I find people can get very political about thier interests. Even to the point of losing any pretense to reasoned thinking. It sometimes happens here as well.
In the three wheeler groups for example, 3 wheelers are everything. They want 3wheelers to do everything from commuting to racing to maybe even being a van, truck, plane (or train?), even things they don't actually do well.
Eventually, people get comfortible with membership attitudes, or get ticked off and they get off it, or they go silent and just monitor as long as it's useful to them. Many many people have thier agendas, most think they'er are being helpful, some know they are just trying to force a point of view. I admit it, I too have an agenda.

My agenda isn't directly toward the Elio. Mine is to get something like the Elio out there.
I personally heard the marketing guy, Jerome Vassallo, say 'he didn't like three wheelers as such. He liked what the Elio can do'. http://www.3wheelers.com/einterview11.html
I like that as being dedicated to the vision.
My agenda attitude can put me at odds, in a position to be mis-understood. Most everyone is simply self interested to some level. What makes me back to more similar is this, I want one too, just for me to drive about in!

Last edited:

Daniel Kelly

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I am the 19 year old to which zelio referred. I can tell you that I have showed many of my friends and coworkers of similar age the Elio, and they all are interested in getting one. But it's true, you will see none of them on forums. The reason I joined this forum was to find people in AZ to start an Elio club with. So don't think that only older people are interested, because that's not the case. Though I do think that a lack of widespread marketing has contributed to younger people not finding out about the Elio. Once it gets on the streets, however, I am confident you'll see people of all ages driving them. It's one of those things that seems too good to be true, but is true.

olddog1946

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am the 19 year old to which zelio referred. I can tell you that I have showed many of my friends and coworkers of similar age the Elio, and they all are interested in getting one. But it's true, you will see none of them on forums. The reason I joined this forum was to find people in AZ to start an Elio club with. So don't think that only older people are interested, because that's not the case. Though I do think that a lack of widespread marketing has contributed to younger people not finding out about the Elio. Once it gets on the streets, however, I am confident you'll see people of all ages driving them. It's one of those things that seems too good to be true, but is true.

Welcome aboard Daniel, good to see ya here. I have family in Peoria, and I'm trying to get them to check out the Elio..Can I send you over to kick em in the butt, lol. I agree with you that once on the streets the Elio will be an attention getter and draw in lots of new owners.

golfsteve

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of the people who worked the Columbus showing were mostly in their 20's. One young man who was helping to get people in and out of the Elio, said he had opened that door 80,000 times ! (maybe) He and the other young people travel with the Elio to every stop. So I hope that shows some interest .

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A lot of the people who worked the Columbus showing were mostly in their 20's. One young man who was helping to get people in and out of the Elio, said he had opened that door 80,000 times ! (maybe) He and the other young people travel with the Elio to every stop. So I hope that shows some interest .
I think one of the reps said the boy at the car was his son, or the other way around.

Top Bottom