• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Mature People Only?

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does that mean he won't want to borrow it???

Yeah, I'm thinking probably not. Although he delivers pizzas right now in his Mustang and I think he's starting to appreciate the value of good gas mileage. He complains when he gets home that he had a delivery 20 miles away and they give him a lousy tip. Doesn't cover his gas to get out there. Ah, to be young...

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm thinking probably not. Although he delivers pizzas right now in his Mustang and I think he's starting to appreciate the value of good gas mileage. He complains when he gets home that he had a delivery 20 miles away and they give him a lousy tip. Doesn't cover his gas to get out there. Ah, to be young...

As a side note, I would think pizza delivery companies would jump on these! Provided, of course, a large pie will fit in the trunk! They could make the whole rear compartment a pizza warmer.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a side note, I would think pizza delivery companies would jump on these! Provided, of course, a large pie will fit in the trunk! They could make the whole rear compartment a pizza warmer.
Considering the size of some of the people I saw getting into the back seat in the videos, I'd say a large pie will fit at least in the back seat if not in the trunk. :rolleyes: :-) Z

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My 17 year old son and most of his friends think this is one of the ugliest vehicles they have seen. They've threatened to pull my 'man-card' if I buy one. Laughing my way to the bank, I guess!
Hah! I like that! A 17 year old threatening to pull your "man card"?! He's not old enough to know what one looks like! As far as the Elio being ugly, well, I don't know about that, it's the function, ability and price that draw my attention! If that is penalty enough to lose the "man card" I say, let them have it, they'll be returning it in a few years. Amazing how, as the years go by, we end up looking like, well, Manly Geniuses!

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey just thought I'd chime in. I'm 23 and am more interested in the Elio than anyone in an upper age group that I've spoken with. For instance, I showed my 51 year old father the car and he just poked fun at me and my 45 year old uncle said 'I'm too old to be getting in and out of small cars!' Yet, my fellow young whipper-snappers are pretty excited about the car (mostly because of cost and gas mileage, which is what brought us all here in the first place. I think I'm the only one that has had the time for the look of the Elio to grow on me). I am part of the category mentioned earlier in this thread, I don't have 2 nickles to rub together on most days. But long term I think it'll be the best investment I've made thus far. I'm all about saving money and who knows, maybe one day my friends will get theirs and there will be a fleet of Elios running through the streets of Nashville. Point being, I think it's a matter of environment whether or not your Elio crowd will be older or younger. Here, my country family just isn't ready.
Maybe the older you get it's a combo of not caring as much what other people think and knowing what you like and then going for it! Which means you are way beyond your years! You are able to see and act on something because you see the value regardless of what prevailing culture dictates. I think perhaps that is what draws people to Elio, the inherent value of the machine. If it is just funky or stylish enough, that's a plus.

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, the obvious reason is that younger folks have a different agenda - typically saving money is not high on their list and they are not very familiar with costs of maintenance, insurance rates, etc. The biggest impact on this group will occur when the Elio is 1) paraded with stylish motorcycle fenders, and alloy wheels, and 2) contains a turbocharged engine
and becomes a pocket rocket - the most speed for the dollar on the planet. It shouldn't surprise anyone that Paul Elio's concentration is on things valued most by his and the generation before his. Only the economically depressed young would respond to Paul' message, and perhaps not many of them. The incredibly ugly two-tone paint job that has been adopted for the standard vehicle to save a few bucks on paint and make the supply system simpler is a good indication of how easily a few bad choices can turn off all those who value good looks. Paul needs to bring along examples with alloy wheels, motorcycle fenders and no black plastic wheel covers wherever he presents the vehicle. By not doing so, he is ruining the car's image. Casual passers by have no idea that the car's apppearance can be enormously improved via available options. Paul should hire, then listen to a stylist. For many a car, the difference between great sales versus OK sales is looks, pure looks. Looks sell, because people like attractive things, and cars have never been solely utilitarian objects. And it usually doesn't cost any more to build an attractive car than an ugly car.
There are a lot of articles out there covering this very question of age and buyers. It turns out that Millenials are not nearly into cars as much as most other generational groups. So, if the Elio can turn even some Millenial heads it opens up a whole new market that the Big Boys would like to tap more fully. It's not just that the older farts (sniff! What's that smell... wait, it's me.) are seen to be inordinantly drawn to the Elio, it may well be that the Ms just aren't drawn as much, to any car!

Top Bottom