• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Metal...body?

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I offer proof that Elio's fit and finish are at least as good as VW's were back in the day....
_DSC4336 elio floats fit and finish.jpg

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the body is about there -- undercarriage, empennage (all the crap around the wheels), hood pins, that's about all there is left to tweak. Now it's time to go after body weight, squeeze another 25 pounds if they can (and I doubt they can).

You know, Jerome's slip-of-the-tongue, if that's what it was, keeps telling me that highway mileage isn't the problem, it's city mileage that presents the challenge.
Another 25lbs??? It's at 1229lbs now according to the website; are they trying to get to 1200lbs even?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the body is about there -- undercarriage, empennage (all the crap around the wheels), hood pins, that's about all there is left to tweak. Now it's time to go after body weight, squeeze another 25 pounds if they can (and I doubt they can).

You know, Jerome's slip-of-the-tongue, if that's what it was, keeps telling me that highway mileage isn't the problem, it's city mileage that presents the challenge.
But ever notice that the 84mpg seems to be all people talk about?
They leave out that Hwy mileage.
Very seldom is the 49mpg city is mentioned.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know for a fact that the old beetles would float. Pensacola, Florida, 1969: I got caught is a flash flood during a hell of a rain storm and didn't realize I was floating until the car rocked from side to side. I had the presence of mind to take my wallet out of my pocket and put it on the sun visor, then I opened the door. I felt the VW drop and next thing I knew I was up to my chest in water. Fortunately I was able to walk up an incline to dry ground with my wallet between my teeth. The best thing about the experience was that the car didn't belong to me. Whether you could do this in an Elio remains to be seen. Anyone want to volunteer their new Elio for a test?

Top Bottom