• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Military Service

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Military service can be pretty lonely at times especially when the sense of isolation sets in
Jim, lonely wasn't the problem, I was one of 3 single women at BK with several hundred single GIs. 2 of us worked at the clinic. We didn't really associate with the other woman because of our shifts. At the clinic because of under staffing ( imagine that in the Military ) we worked 36 hrs on 12 hrs off. We got 1 weekend a month off.
It was a mad house in the EM club when we'd stop in to have a drink. After a few months, we got special permission from the base commander to go the NCO club. Imagine PFCs in the NCO Club!
Not that there was any sexual harassment but after a 36 hour shift the last thing we wanted to do was dance all night! We just wanted to sit, relax and have a beer. Sometimes the boys just wouldn't take no for an answer and we'd have to leave before things got out of hand. I say boys because I was 8-10 years older than most of them. I was a late bloomer, enlisted at 25, at BK I was 27-28.
However we did go to the EM club about once a month when we actually had a weekend off and danced with every boy who asked and some who were to shy to. We had a blast and never paid for a drink. We actually had to tell the bar tender to stop sending us drinks because we couldn't keep up even if we wanted to. Oh to be single and 25 again! LOL!

Reaction score
Jim, lonely wasn't the problem, I was one of 3 single women at BK with several hundred single GIs. 2 of us worked at the clinic. We didn't really associate with the other woman because of our shifts. At the clinic because of under staffing ( imagine that in the Military ) we worked 36 hrs on 12 hrs off. We got 1 weekend a month off.
It was a mad house in the EM club when we'd stop in to have a drink. After a few months, we got special permission from the base commander to go the NCO club. Imagine PFCs in the NCO Club!
Not that there was any sexual harassment but after a 36 hour shift the last thing we wanted to do was dance all night! We just wanted to sit, relax and have a beer. Sometimes the boys just wouldn't take no for an answer and we'd have to leave before things got out of hand. I say boys because I was 8-10 years older than most of them. I was a late bloomer, enlisted at 25, at BK I was 27-28.
However we did go to the EM club about once a month when we actually had a weekend off and danced with every boy who asked and some who were to shy to. We had a blast and never paid for a drink. We actually had to tell the bar tender to stop sending us drinks because we couldn't keep up even if we wanted on this forum veteranto. Oh to be single and 25 again! LOL!

Am I correct in thinking that most of the women on this forum are veterans? For that matter are most of us people on this forum veterans? What does that mean? Our age group? OK, maybe we should get little flags or stars on our avatars to show off who are veterans, Goofy.

nthawk68

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Military service can be pretty lonely at times especially when the sense of isolation sets in
Jim,
MIlitary service can be lonely, but there was always family wherever you went and the camaraderie made up for it. My first duty station was in the middle of the Nevada Dessert at a 200 man base, no women were allowed, boy that was fun..... AF used to ship women in for dances from vegas....

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Am I correct in thinking that most of the women on this forum are veterans? For that matter are most of us people on this forum veterans? What does that mean? Our age group? OK, maybe we should get little flags or stars on our avatars to show off who are veterans, Goofy.
How about hash marks / to show # of years of service. 1 hash mark for 4 years or 1 tour. Also there are a lot who served 20+ and I for One think their commitment should be recognized with a star or flag.

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Married my wife when she was in the Marine Corp.
Smitty901, met my wife while I was in the service. She had already gotten out. Fell slowly in love and when time came for reenlistment love won over duty, honor, country. Never regretted a moment of that decision. We finally married 29 years later and just celebrated our 1st anniversary.

nthawk68

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Smitty901, met my wife while I was in the service. She had already gotten out. Fell slowly in love and when time came for reenlistment love won over duty, honor, country. Never regretted a moment of that decision. We finally married 29 years later and just celebrated our 1st anniversary.
Congrats.

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
N
Amen, it will really be better with ID and an Elio ride.....:) Hopefully you can celebrate a belated 2nd anniversary at the Elio factory picking up your baby...
nthawk68, well are anniversary gift to each other was going " All in " on the Elio. Placed the reservation on the 29th, and anniversary is the 31st. Next year our production date falls end of November to mid December which means early Christmas present, so I'll have to spring for a real anniversary gift next year!

Top Bottom