• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Mirrors And Other "cheap" Stuff

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I use RainX on both my vehicles and it works well if it is applied right. Just seems some folks are adverse to a little elbow grease. And as David knows that is the magic for using it. It can be a bit disconcerting the first few times you see it, but it is great.
I'm not adverse to elbow grease, Rain-X is like Zaino, just smears, no matter how much pressure you use, how long you wait, or the the temperature you apply Rain-X. I like Silbead, worked great. I say "worked" because they no longer manufacture it (at least I can't find it). I have used Dr. Beasley's (http://www.drbeasleys.com/glass-waxx.html). results better than Rain-X but not equal to Silbead. I now use Aquapel http://www.aquapel.com/ still comes in 2nd to Silbead, but very good. Rain-X windshield washer solvent(orange) clearly the best solvent I have ever used, great cleaning off salty windows. Rain-X in the yellow bottle, not good. Still looking for something as good, if not better than Silbead.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not adverse to elbow grease, Rain-X is like Zaino, just smears, no matter how much pressure you use, how long you wait, or the the temperature you apply Rain-X. I like Silbead, worked great. I say "worked" because they no longer manufacture it (at least I can't find it). I have used Dr. Beasley's (http://www.drbeasleys.com/glass-waxx.html). results better than Rain-X but not equal to Silbead. I now use Aquapel http://www.aquapel.com/ still comes in 2nd to Silbead, but very good. Rain-X windshield washer solvent(orange) clearly the best solvent I have ever used, great cleaning off salty windows. Rain-X in the yellow bottle, not good. Still looking for something as good, if not better than Silbead.
I agree. The yellow bottle was the old days, today I buy the rainx windshield fluid.

Last edited:

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I 'spect you'll be back...........? :)
Oh, I hope so! I took the position here to be a bit closer to Mom, she'll be 93 in July. We'll just have to see. Most of my friends have moved on in the 7 years I have been gone, I don't mind the heat and I won't miss the cold.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oh, I hope so! I took the position here to be a bit closer to Mom, she'll be 93 in July. We'll just have to see. Most of my friends have moved on in the 7 years I have been gone, I don't mind the heat and I won't miss the cold.

Understood. My Mom turned 90 this Feb., There will be a thriving Southwest
Elio club to meetup with when you do make it back. :)

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the airflow over the hood and windshield was a true laminar flow the wiper would be in the slipstream. I suspect this is not the case. Looks aside, the big reason for having it placed below the hood would be for going through a car wash and not getting caught up in the cleaning brushes. Most of us would probably wash our own anyway.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the airflow over the hood and windshield was a true laminar flow the wiper would be in the slipstream. I suspect this is not the case. Looks aside, the big reason for having it placed below the hood would be for going through a car wash and not getting caught up in the cleaning brushes. Most of us would probably wash our own anyway.
I agree. I may be going out on a limb, but I don't think I would risk taking mine through a robo car wash. The side brushes maybe be laser guided to keep a safe distance from the car but that's quite a distance to have to go around and the brushes will not hit the sides when going around the tires. JMO

Top Bottom