• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Motorcycle Question

amwinkle

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Thank you to all for the comments. Here is what I am currently planning to get in my disposal for protection (ATGATT) and my hopeful future bike.

First and foremost i am not buying the bike until I get the Rider's Safety course under my belt (here in florida its required) and I feel its necessary for my well being and my wifes (seeing as she would live with the repercussions of whatever would happen)

Second I am planning on getting a 2014 Yamaha Star Bolt (900 cc)... its almost identical to the Harley Sportster but more bobber.
http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelhome/682/home.aspx

Thirdly, for the gear... here are my plans.

---- Full faced helmet (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shark-raw-soyouz-helmet)
---- Gloves with reinforced Carbon Knuckles (found them at the motorcycle outlet a few days ago for the Safety Course :) )
---- Leg armor for my hips and lower back (which is like under armor with CE approved shields and plates) (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-bionic-freeride-shorts)
---- Jeans on top of the leg armor that are Kevlar lined by JoeRocket (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/joe-rocket-rocket-denim-30-jeans)
---- Chest armor http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/spidi-defender-armor
---- kevlar lined riding jacket with elbow and shoulder inserts (CE approved)
---- Boots will be http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-ssc-bravo-d-wp-shoe
---- I also was wanting to get an airbag, but wasnt sure of the true positives for this with all the other stuff... none the less I will include in in the cost

Total for all the gear is about 1200.00

amwinkle

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I have been licensed 45 years, took a 20 year break from motorcycles to raise kids. I've ridden 30k miles this year (this year's big trip was CO> AK by way of FL and ME. What can I say? GPS told me to turn right...) and it's only August. I have experience but that in no way is meant to imply I'm an expert.

But I have to say, your post confuses me - you want to hear from those who wiped out, or nearly so, to convince your wife riding is safe? If they lived, it's ok? Pardon my bluntness, but your life is a serious subject!

Awareness is a necessity, but it's only the first of many. Trailing a buddy by about 75 yards through the twisties in April, we had slowed down for a tight hairpin when a deer came from BEHIND him, caught up and pushed him over. That deer was never in his field of vision so awareness wouldn't have helped. What saved him was ATGATT - All The Gear, All The Time. The face shield on his full-face helmet looked like somebody had taken a grinder to it after he log-rolled under the bike while it slid forward for what seemed like an eternity - 4 broken ribs, sprained knee, but no road rash.

On the other hand, we almost lost a rider in our HOG chapter (Harley Owners Group) last year - swerved to avoid a red-light runner but lost control and low-sided at low speed. Hospital cleaned him up and sent him home, 2 days later he was back with severe sepsis likely caused by all the grit/grime/debris embedded in his skin because he was riding in jeans and a t-shirt. He spent more than a week in ICU and damn near died - just now riding again after a year and a half. Are you prepared to wear full protective gear in the FL heat, all of the time, or are you willing to risk asphalt burns that can kill you through infections? Many do, but you have to be willing to acknowledge and accept the risks. To compound the issue, this particular rider had never taken any rider safety training, so had never done any avoidance training. Would it have helped? Maybe...

You mention riding with friends as a good thing. OK, are they skilled, are they responsible, can everyone resist the temptation to show off? In SCUBA diving, we talk about "trust me" dives - letting someone lead you to a dive that is beyond your training/skill/ comfort level - will your friends pressure you to follow, or slow for the least skilled rider? If there's pressure, will you resist?

Let's face it - riding a motorcycle is FUN but it sure ain't safe! Since I personally subscribe to Smitty901's adage - "You can't live life on the porch!", what can you do?

You can make it safer by awareness coupled with skills (Mr. Porter mentions MSF which is fantastic!), ATGATT, practice/experience, and good judgment. You just can't eliminate the possibility of a mechanical failure, though (ie, flat tire at speed), or a damned deer sneaking up on you from behind, so you'll never take risk to zero.

The cold hard stats (from a 2009 Insurance Institute for Highway Safety report):
- Fatality accident rates per 100k miles are 5 times greater for m/c's than for cars.
- Slightly fewer than half of all motorcycle fatalities were single vehicle accidents - nobody else's fault.
- Roughly half of those involved speeding
- Roughly 40% of those involved alcohol
- Roughly half of the multi-vehicle motorcycle fatalities were the result of another vehicle turning left across the bike's path (failure to yield followed by inability to avoid)

Sorry for sounding like such a jerk, and I'll get down off my soap box now, but I really, really, really want you to enjoy riding - and live to tell the tales!

Dan
To be honest in my mind I was asking a question as justification lol...

I really wanted to know anyone who had been out there a really long time and gone a while without laying down or getting hurt extensively.

I know there are three of my friends that are cruisers and they only do it to church, group meets, or out to get some groceries for the Mrs. Personally I am FAR from the stupidity range, and I know that I will never (if I need to) get on highway 41 .... I will always use the back less congested roads. I ride bikes avidly (road cycling). so I know where to ride and where is a good place with more conscious people (or so I think). I love being the analyzer so when I used to ride it was like a game to analyze my surroundings before I reached that location. Thank you so much for the words and time explaining everything. Its great to have a family of elio owners that can help me in my .... ummm... I dont want to call it plight but ... yeah plight.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
When I was 22 I managed to be lucky enough to walk away from an unfortunate encounter with a concrete barrier with only some cracked and bruised ribs and some minor road rash. A driver backing out of parking spot apparently did not see me and instead pulled out right in front of me which caused me to attempt to avoid them but instead I managed to find the barrier. At the time I was in the Army and getting ready for a combat deployment and these injuries actually delayed my departure which caused me a whole heap of trouble. After this incident, and all the trouble it caused, I did not ride for several years.

When I was about 28 I decided I wanted to fix the motorbike which had just been sitting in storage all that time. I had actually completed the MSF Basic Rider Course while in the Army as it was mandatory. I decided to take the MSF Advanced Rider Course and really loved it. It was great to be able to get a refresher on all the basic techniques all good riders should know as well as be reminded of what it takes to be a safe rider. I highly recommend some kind of rider training to all new riders or those starting to ride again after some time away.

Last edited:

MASCMAN

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Was riding home from a bike shop about 45 mins away from home after working the night shift...I had ridden home 25 miles, then the 40 to the bike shop. I should not have been riding this tired.

I turned my torso to make sure my load was secure on the seat and when I turned forward, a blast of wind hit me and threw me a little. I was headed into an S-bend and couldn't turn, went into somebodys front yard to avoid a telephone pole.

As soon as that tire hit grass it shot out and put me down hard...thank God it was grass and not the pavement.

Just need to be honest with yourself. I love to ride so much that sometimes I talk myself into riding on days that I usually end up very wet or very cold. Lol

Being a nightshift worker, I scared myself awake once...so tired I almost fell asleep! That sleep deprivation is bad!!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
glad you weren't seriously injured and do hope the bike repairs will be minimal .... back when I was younger, more gung-ho, and invincible, I managed to get off of a bike in most every way possible, all too many of those dismounts were unplanned ..:rolleyes: .. once I figured out that I wasn't as invincible as I thought, I ended up selling my bike .... with a back that is much happier when it isn't subjected to the jolts common to riding most bikes, I've been looking at a Stallion and have now found the Elio .... I'm most anxious for the opportunity for a test drive

Jim

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I started riding back in '82... But only dirt bikes racing motocross. I started street riding in 1995 on a CBR1000, then a CBR 1100XX, CBR 600F4i, back to a CBR1100XX, and now, my first cruiser, a Honda VTX1800C. I found that I ride much more conservatively on my cruiser than on the sport bikes... Is it the bike? Is it my age? I haven't laid a bike down ever. No deer strikes, no high-siding, nothing. Well, back racing motocross, of course I laid the bike down... a lot but that was expected and almost required.

Once when riding my CBR 1000, a big beetle or bird or bee... whatever it was, hit me in the right shoulder so hard that both eyes instantly watered so bad I had to pull over... I was wearing a full face helmet (and still do) but I very distinctly remember thinking that if that had hit me in the face without coverage... anyway, I'll never ride without one. Those scull caps get by the law but won't help much there.

I ride mostly as a commuter but it is 22 mile one-way trip for me about half highway. But, I rode every month in Minot, ND once I got my bike except one December and one February where the roads stayed icy all month. Oh, it was cold... very cold sometimes but, I didn't have THAT far to ride to work back then. (It wasn't really "back then" as it was March 2010-January 2004)

Ride safe.

Last edited:

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you to all for the comments. Here is what I am currently planning to get in my disposal for protection (ATGATT) and my hopeful future bike.

First and foremost i am not buying the bike until I get the Rider's Safety course under my belt (here in florida its required) and I feel its necessary for my well being and my wifes (seeing as she would live with the repercussions of whatever would happen)

Second I am planning on getting a 2014 Yamaha Star Bolt (900 cc)... its almost identical to the Harley Sportster but more bobber.
http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelhome/682/home.aspx

Thirdly, for the gear... here are my plans.

---- Full faced helmet (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shark-raw-soyouz-helmet)
---- Gloves with reinforced Carbon Knuckles (found them at the motorcycle outlet a few days ago for the Safety Course :) )
---- Leg armor for my hips and lower back (which is like under armor with CE approved shields and plates) (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-bionic-freeride-shorts)
---- Jeans on top of the leg armor that are Kevlar lined by JoeRocket (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/joe-rocket-rocket-denim-30-jeans)
---- Chest armor http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/spidi-defender-armor
---- kevlar lined riding jacket with elbow and shoulder inserts (CE approved)
---- Boots will be http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-ssc-bravo-d-wp-shoe
---- I also was wanting to get an airbag, but wasnt sure of the true positives for this with all the other stuff... none the less I will include in in the cost

Total for all the gear is about 1200.00

It is great you will be taking the class. Keep an open mind and get as much out of it as you can.

One great example of the benefits of these classes is my wife. She had been riding for more than a decade but when she jumped into the liter class bikes she realized she was now intimidated by the bike and felt she might need a brush up. She came out of the class talking about all the bad habits she had fallen into and that taking the class not only made her aware of those bad habits but also gave her new skills to replace the bad habits. After taking the class she rides her bike with a lot more confidence and enjoyment.

That is a nice list of gear and I wish I could say I wear that much armor but I currently limit myself to a flip style helmet, gloves, jacket with armor, and boots. I saw that ducatti has an air bag system but I'm still on the fence as to whether that is a good idea or not.

The one thing about the bike and gear is to be sure they fit you well. Helmets need to be snug and not slide on your head. Jackets and such need to have enough ventilation so that you can remain comfortable. Buying motorcycle gear instead of fashion gear will likely serve you well.

Bike selection is also very important. Consider not only how you fit the bike for touching the ground, reaching controls, whether you can stretch on longs rides, etc., but if you can, also try to see how well the bike fits your riding styles. Again back to my wife, the liter bike she bought that intimidated her was a BMW R1200. It had way more power than anything she had before and with the flat 4 the weight should have been low in the chassis to make it easier to handle. It even had abs brakes! She drove the bike for a few years before eventually shorting it by a couple feet when she collapsed the front end on the car in front of her. She had all the gear on and flew through the air but didn't get hurt but the bike was toast.

When she started testing all kinds of new bikes for a replacement she thought she wanted a sport touring bike. The fjr and a triumph were two of the bikes she tried and none of them met her needs. She then got on a first year model Victory Vegas and after that the smile never left her face. What she finally realized was that on the BMW the shift and power points weren't where she liked them so she was always fighting to be in the correct gear. She found the sport touring bikes to be similarly peaky in power as well as less comfortable for her. She found that on the vegas that the shear grunt you get from american v-twins suited her driving style best and that the more upright cruiser stance was the position she like to ride in. She also loved the lower weight that the vegas gave her.

To be honest in my mind I was asking a question as justification lol...

I really wanted to know anyone who had been out there a really long time and gone a while without laying down or getting hurt extensively.

I know there are three of my friends that are cruisers and they only do it to church, group meets, or out to get some groceries for the Mrs. Personally I am FAR from the stupidity range, and I know that I will never (if I need to) get on highway 41 .... I will always use the back less congested roads. I ride bikes avidly (road cycling). so I know where to ride and where is a good place with more conscious people (or so I think). I love being the analyzer so when I used to ride it was like a game to analyze my surroundings before I reached that location. Thank you so much for the words and time explaining everything. Its great to have a family of elio owners that can help me in my .... ummm... I dont want to call it plight but ... yeah plight.

I've ridden bikes since I could pull the starter cord on my first mini-bike as a pre-teen and I've been riding street bikes for about 35 years. Most of my accidents have been low speed issues dealing with riding on snow or ice in parking lots. I did however have on get off more than two decades ago when cruising up an off ramp at better than 50 mph in a group of riders.

The get off was related to a thin stream of some sort of automotive lubricant that went all the way up the ramp. I couldn't see it from the saddle but discovered it quickly when my rear tire started to shimmy and was quickly followed by the front tire letting go and me and the bike landing on the ground sliding up the ramp. I had all my gear on :) so I had no injuries aside from some significant scrapes in my leather. I got up with so much adrenaline that I walked over to my bike that was now laying in the middle of the ramp and lifted it like it weighed nothing all the time cursing that it threw me on the ground. It was at this time that I finally saw the streak of fluid that took me down and also looked around at the rest of my riding buddies to see the shock on their faces from watching me go down. I had to replace some parts but the bike lived to ride until I retired it from old age. In the end, I don't think there was a way to predict or avoid this one and having my gear on definitely saved my skin.

My suggestion for riding is to ride often. Riding is a skill that needs to be so well ingrained that scan, identify, predict, decide, and execute become as second nature as breathing. The more you ride your bike the more you will learn its capabilities and limits as well as how well you can use them to ride safer. Use the rider training course exercises regularly. Do the slow ride and hard braking exercises frequently if not every time you take your bike out. I'd suggest that you focus on smaller riding groups with only people whose skills and judgement you know very well. Large rides with a bunch of folks that take their bikes out occasionally can be very risky

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Once when riding my CBR 1000, a big bottle or bird or bee... whatever it was, hit me in the right shoulder so hard that both eyes instantly watered so bad I had to pull over... I was wearing a full face helmet (and still do) but I very distinctly remember thinking that if that had hit me in the face without coverage... anyway, I'll never ride without one. Those scull caps get by the law but won't help much there.

to me the old adage seems to still be true : cheap helmets are made for cheap heads .. ;)

Jim

Top Bottom