• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Motorcycle Vs. Car

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
If the Elio is classified as a motorcycle, it means that you are not covered in most states for "No Fault" coverage. If you are hit and the other driver runs, you are not covered! Imagine a car crash where you or a family member is hurt and your expenses are not covered. That includes surgery, hospitalization, medication, physician care, etc...

Without classification as a car, I cannot by one. That is the sad truth.

Elio needs to get this vehicle re-classified.

Best,

TOBASH
Welcome Tobash

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Motorcycle Vs. Car
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThHqrvjl8JKVkjDpxVqkoUZ5sN_NPbBfdlXxEh3M7dYXu5I8C9SA.jpg

I would call this a draw.
I would call that a really bad day.

emt1581

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I could care less how it's classified as I already have my M-Class license and have been riding for a few years now. Plus the insurance is dirt cheap compared to a car. But to insure it as a car would likely only be a few hundred more.

However, if my wife wanted to drive it...might be a no-go or really risky...not sure how getting pulled over would work and if it would end in a hefty fine or kinky matching bracelets...

-Emt1581

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Personally, I could care less how it's classified as I already have my M-Class license and have been riding for a few years now. Plus the insurance is dirt cheap compared to a car. But to insure it as a car would likely only be a few hundred more.

However, if my wife wanted to drive it...might be a no-go or really risky...not sure how getting pulled over would work and if it would end in a hefty fine or kinky matching bracelets...

-Emt1581
Is PA still requiring a motorcycle endorsement? If so, that could change by production. I'd be surprised if police even bother checking... But, I've been wrong before. Maybe they'll be wanting to check it out more often and just want an excuse to pull you over.

emt1581

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I called my insurance agent yesterday who was absolutely clueless on these. He got back to me and said they were being classified as a trike. What that would mean here is that all the motorcycle laws apply....including the requirement that those licensed (to drive a motorcycle) less than 3yrs need to wear a helmet.

With how horribly unproductive our lawmakers are, I can see this being a serious clusterfuck legally speaking. Can you imagine the retro-active rulings and penalties because the law was re-active instead of pro-active?!?

But, like you, I've been wrong and maybe our lawmakers will fool the hell out of us and address the issue before it becomes one. I just don't have that kind of confidence in Washington or Harrisburg (our capital).

As for wanting an excuse to pull you over. I guess you could say that, but so long as these are popular enough and Elio actually springs for a commercial or two on tv...that shouldn't last more than a month or two.

-Emt1581

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well I called my insurance agent yesterday who was absolutely clueless on these. He got back to me and said they were being classified as a trike. What that would mean here is that all the motorcycle laws apply....including the requirement that those licensed (to drive a motorcycle) less than 3yrs need to wear a helmet.

With how horribly unproductive our lawmakers are, I can see this being a serious clusterfuck legally speaking. Can you imagine the retro-active rulings and penalties because the law was re-active instead of pro-active?!?

But, like you, I've been wrong and maybe our lawmakers will fool the hell out of us and address the issue before it becomes one. I just don't have that kind of confidence in Washington or Harrisburg (our capital).

As for wanting an excuse to pull you over. I guess you could say that, but so long as these are popular enough and Elio actually springs for a commercial or two on tv...that shouldn't last more than a month or two.

-Emt1581
I don't think the license or helmets will be an issue by the time this hits production. The Elio team has been very active in working to get that area and have had laws already changed in mutliple states. THey are actively working on the remaining several states that it applies too. THe only State it failed in so far is in Arizona. And that was because someone added something to the bill (not related) that made the lawmakers vote it down. They are going to try again next session.

emt1581

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think the license or helmets will be an issue by the time this hits production. The Elio team has been very active in working to get that area and have had laws already changed in mutliple states. THey are actively working on the remaining several states that it applies too. THe only State it failed in so far is in Arizona. And that was because someone added something to the bill (not related) that made the lawmakers vote it down. They are going to try again next session.

That's good to know! I'm actually going to touch base with Progressive (my bike insurance co.) and see what they have to say about insuring it.

Sucks about AZ. That's a pretty common tactic though. If you want a bill to fail, attach something to it, and make it obvious/well-known, that will make people hate it. Also works if you want something passed...slip it in quietly and hope no one notices.

-Emt1581

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's good to know! I'm actually going to touch base with Progressive (my bike insurance co.) and see what they have to say about insuring it.

Sucks about AZ. That's a pretty common tactic though. If you want a bill to fail, attach something to it, and make it obvious/well-known, that will make people hate it. Also works if you want something passed...slip it in quietly and hope no one notices.

-Emt1581

Yep, typical politics. lol

But I know here in Texas, Lousiana, and several other states, they have succesfully gotten the laws changed. We all know there is a chance this won't take off, though I think most of us are very optomistic. Elio is working way too hard on things like changing states laws and such just to be a scam.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From Geico - "...Uninsured motorists coverage pays for your injuries caused by an uninsured driver or, in some states, a hit-and-run driver. In some states there is also uninsured motorist coverage for damage to your vehicle. Given the large number of uninsured motorists, this is very important coverage to have, even in states with no-fault insurance..."

I have never had problems with hit and run paying out, and I have been hit in one. I expect the coverage to be a bit more expensive than a standard bike, especially once they see it. But I still think it would be less than a car. Some companies only issue policies on bikes for part year coverage though. I once had a 'one year' policy that allowed 9 months use. (No coverage Dec-Feb). This might be a northern thing. My Geico policy has no limitation. Still, was only $99 a year for insurance (750 Honda).

olddog1946

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I own a 2001 Honda Valkyrie and a 2002 BMW k1200LTE, both big bikes built for the highway. Even being 68 years old I ride every chance I get. I seldom drive anywhere any more. BUT, that being said, even with heated gear for the cold weather riding, I have found that anything below 31 degrees is just too uncomfortable. Comfortable was my first though about the Elio, MY new winter ride. The more I see it and learn about it the more I can see me glued to the seat. One thing I especially like is that being classified as a motorcycle, the insurance will be less than a third of the cost of being classified as a car.

Top Bottom