• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Motorcycle Vs. Car

emt1581

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
So from the last replies what I'm getting is...Elio wants to have their cake an eat it to by creating a class all to themselves in regard to being an auto-cycle.

As I've said, auto or bike, I'm still good to go, but for my wife and (in the future) son's sake, not needing a special license would be important.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One important detail I was able to get clarification on directly from Joel Sheltrown just this past week. If you are legally licensed to operate the Elio without a motorcycle endorsement in your home state then other states will also honor your license and you can drive in states that do require their residents to have the motorcycle endorsement. Drivers licenses are generally reciprocal that way states honor each others licensing rules. You are however still required to follow all local traffic laws and helmets are considered a subset of traffic law so you would have to wear them in any state that requires them.
Thanks for that clarification. I was wondering. Not that I foresee ever taking it across state lines. Cheyenne is only an hour away, but I only ever go there for Black Friday shopping, and the trunk's going to be a little small to accommodate all those presents (the trunk and back seat of my wife's Versa is almost too small for that!)

Triggs

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I've had motorcycles in the past and have two now,love riding them,was looking at the can-am spider two wheels in front one in back much like the Elio, the dealership was asking 34,000.00 for the new 2014. This Elio looks like the better deal,I just have to learn not to lean in the curves. Keeping my Harleys too.

Last edited:

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One important detail I was able to get clarification on directly from Joel Sheltrown just this past week. If you are legally licensed to operate the Elio without a motorcycle endorsement in your home state then other states will also honor your license and you can drive in states that do require their residents to have the motorcycle endorsement. Drivers licenses are generally reciprocal that way states honor each others licensing rules. You are however still required to follow all local traffic laws and helmets are considered a subset of traffic law so you would have to wear them in any state that requires them.

This is true. However, if a state has additional restrictions on how you operate the vehicle those apply to your operation of the vehicle in that state. The most immediate concern to Elio drivers would be if they drive their Elio to a state that requires helmets for motorcycle riders and the state you live in licenses your Elio as a motorcycle. In such an instance I believe you would be required to wear a helmet.

Hmm... some states and municipalities restrict motorcycles from some roadways and parking areas. If the Elio is carrying a motorcycle license I wonder what those municipalities will do if you drive an Elio there.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
This is true. However, if a state has additional restrictions on how you operate the vehicle those apply to your operation of the vehicle in that state. The most immediate concern to Elio drivers would be if they drive their Elio to a state that requires helmets for motorcycle riders and the state you live in licenses your Elio as a motorcycle. In such an instance I believe you would be required to wear a helmet.

Hmm... some states and municipalities restrict motorcycles from some roadways and parking areas. If the Elio is carrying a motorcycle license I wonder what those municipalities will do if you drive an Elio there.

I would say you have to follow all local rules applying to motorcycles including helmets and road or parking restrictions. From what I have read licensing is a completely different area of the law and really does not have much to do legally with the vehicle itself or traffic laws.

Chances are you would get away with being in those areas anyway but you would be subject to the whims of law enforcement and as the vehicle is technically a motorcycle you would likely lose any legal challenge. Downtown Atlanta actually has an area of the city, Atlantic Station, where motorcycles are not allowed to park on the street or in the giant parking decks which exist there. My guess is Elios could get away with parking there anyhow as they do not look like traditional motorcycles.

Last edited:

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Chances are you would get away with being in those areas anyway but you would be subject to the whims of law enforcement and as the vehicle is technically a motorcycle you would likely lose any legal challenge. Downtown Atlanta actually has an area of the city, Atlantic Station, where motorcycles are not allowed to park on the street or in the giant parking decks which exist there. My guess is Elios could get away with parking there anyhow as they do not look like traditional motorcycles.
Depends. If it has a motorcycle plate, or is missing a front plate in a 2-plate state, that is going to be a dead giveaway. If I got a coin strap for my hard hat, do you think that would count as a helmet? :D

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm a little confused here. I read that some are saying that wheels are turning to change the laws...but what is actually changing?

Is it...

1. Elio is working to get their vehicle classified as a car and NOT a trike/bike?

2. Elio is working to get the helmet laws relaxed?

3. Elio is working to get classified as a motorcycle (for low insurance/standards/etc.) and at the same time relax the requirement for drivers and passengers to wear a helmet?

Or is it something different?...Maybe along the lines of a trike that doesn't need a helmet or motorcycle license?

The reason I ask is because if this is classified as a car that means higher insurance costs and safety standards which I'd think would mean a higher price-tag. If this is going to be a motorcycle it means lower insurance costs but then you need to look at helmet AND licensing laws which would seriously put a damper on the market by comparison to it being a car.

Again, I'm just trying to understand Elio's goal.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Saw this today. This is what the Elio government relations team is working hard for. Colorado is now another state where motorcycle license and helemt are not required for the Elio:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/05/prweb11859160.htm

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Top Bottom