• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Motorcycle Vs. Car

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Here a document that explains the best practices from the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators. State DMV's apparently pay some attention, not sure if it's a lot but hope so, to the AAMVA. Anyhoo, the document explains nicely recommendations for defining autocycles, 3-wheeled motorcycles, how they could be registered, the type of license needed, etc.

Attachments

• 3 Wheel Vehicles BestPractices[1].pdf
    592.7 KB · Views: 364

ctfink

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I agree that a motorcycle classification will hurt sales. As it stands, I will not get an Elio when it is produced if I need amotorcycle endorsement to drive it. Not because I find motorcycles inherently unsafe, but because I am inherently unsafe on one. And to get a motorcycle endorsement on my license would require me doing a road test on an actual 2 wheel motorcycle.
BUT there is a third option. A few states have passed an "autocycle" bill. My Colorado is considering one. An autocycle classification keeps all of the benefits of not being a car with none of the drawbacks of being a motorcycle.
If this is the case, possibly acquire an Elio to take the motorcycle test if allowed.

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
None of this changes the fact the Elio is still a motorcycle. The skill set you need to operate it is why the requirement to have a license to operate a conventional motorcycle makes no sense. Some states allow the operation of specific types of motorcycles with a normal drivers license. They don't turn magically into cars...

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
None of this changes the fact the Elio is still a motorcycle. The skill set you need to operate it is why the requirement to have a license to operate a conventional motorcycle makes no sense. Some states allow the operation of specific types of motorcycles with a normal drivers license. They don't turn magically into cars...

You should have skill and training to drive anything on the road but I doubt that specific motorcycle training is relevant. The elio will behave more like a car than a motorcycle. You won't need to learn about counter steering, rear tire lock up, lean angle, etc. There are specific items such as choosing your line, scanning for potential problems, being aware of things around you, distances between you and other object, diminished capacities due to oil, water, etc. but this apply to all vehicles and not just motorcycles.

Ultimately it seems that once people get a license they quickly forget that they are piloting a vehicle that can and will do grievous harm no matter how many safety devices engineers build into them. Many folks on this forum seem to be older and hopefully they are aware of some of the incentives to take driving education classes. If such initiatives were actually required of all drivers maybe we would see safer roads with no one too busy texting, doing makeup, shaving, etc. and instead being safe out there.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ultimately it seems that once people get a license they quickly forget that they are piloting a vehicle that can and will do grievous harm no matter how many safety devices engineers build into them. Many folks on this forum seem to be older and hopefully they are aware of some of the incentives to take driving education classes. If such initiatives were actually required of all drivers maybe we would see safer roads with no one too busy texting, doing makeup, shaving, etc. and instead being safe out there.
As a former instructor for the National Safety Council Defensive Driving Courses I could not agree more. It is amazing to see how many people either don't understand the rules of the road or never learned them. Common sense and driver awareness is totally absent.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Knowing and understanding the rules of the road have nothing to do with the lack of common sense to drink and drive, text, receive or make a phone call (even hands free), eat, apply make up, shave, wrangle kids, or whatever else people do while driving a vehicle............rather than just being an aware, safe driver. People know not to do it, but choose to do it any way creating the risk of serious injury or death to others. Oh, nothing can happen to me as they run a kid down or crash into a family head on...............while under the influence, texting, or other stupid stuff while driving.

No amount of additional driver education or MC certification training will change that behavior.......laws and punishment don't even change that behavior. I often see licensed motorcycle riders, with hours of testing, showing the very same disregard for the safety of others.

Common sense tells me that I don't need a motorcycle endorsement to drive an Elio......I drive it not ride it, it's enclosed not open, has a steering wheel not handle bars, brake peddle not hand brakes, a seat to sit in not straddle, anticipated 5 star safety, etc.. O.K. I got that off my mind.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No amount of additional driver education or MC certification training will change that behavior.......laws and punishment don't even change that behavior. I often see licensed motorcycle riders, with hours of testing, showing the very same disregard for the safety of others.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this. I know that every time I take a class it causes me to re-evaluate my driving/riding skills. I know that when my parents took their senior driving education classes it alerted them to many of the bad habits they had fallen into as well as identified a number of things that they had either not thought of in a long time or simply were never exposed to.

I do have to agree that bone heads will likely remain bone heads but I retain hope that if more people were made aware of the bad habits they are doing and even failed a test or two that things would change for the positive.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this. I know that every time I take a class it causes me to re-evaluate my driving/riding skills. I know that when my parents took their senior driving education classes it alerted them to many of the bad habits they had fallen into as well as identified a number of things that they had either not thought of in a long time or simply were never exposed to.

I do have to agree that bone heads will likely remain bone heads but I retain hope that if more people were made aware of the bad habits they are doing and even failed a test or two that things would change for the positive.
I will agree that refresher drivers ed classes can be beneficial reminders and improve driving skills. I simply don't want to be required to take any class simply because I'm buying and choose to drive an Elio. If I am required by law to take classes because I've been identified as a bone head driver.................I'll take the class. If I buy a conventional motorcycle I would need the certification classes for my personal safety...............and take the class.

Top Bottom