• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Options And Upgrades, Cruise Control, Etc...

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I listened to a radio interview with Paul Elio along with the VP's for sales and marketing. Paul had stated that they will keep with the basics for the base model vehicle. Power windows, power door lock, A/C, heat, traction control and abs (I might be missing something). I believe that they are installing power windows because the weight of the newer mechanisms are slightly lighter than the mechanical counterparts. The door lock is for them to easily integrate a keyless entry to either make it more appealing or to easily allow the option of a keyless entry as an option (why would you need a power door lock to unlock the only door which happens to be 2 inches from your hand anyways, has to be for keyless entry). Heat is an easy feature because the engine already has plenty of excess heat to keep you warm and if they didn't have it, it would kill there sales in the colder states. A/C is becoming a standard because it is used as a air drier for the interior cabin space. Chances are that anytime you have your defrost on in your current car the A/C compressor is activated. The A/C acts as a dehumidifier and removes moisture from the cabin of the car which helps facilitate more efficient defrosting of the interior glass. I'm not sure but it may even be a required feature on newer cars to help improve safety/ visibility. ABS and traction control are also standard safety features that I THINK are required on all new production vehicles. They are probably not required at all for an autocycle, but I believe that the engineers and executives at Elio Motors have much bigger dreams for the future and are trying to develop a platform that they can easily expand. Everything else will probably be an option. Why would they give more away than they have to? This will give them a strong platform and allow them to increase the companies profit through the additional sales of luxury options like leather, seat heaters, back up cameras, sunroof's, alternate fender/ wheel packages. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited:

ccryder

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
This pict shows the cruise control:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 560

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This pict shows the cruise control:
It also shows a docking station for a smart phone as we'll, but I doubt it will be standard equipment. How about the leather seats from the same P4? Definitely not standard. This car is similar to the over budget house that a realtor would show you. It's to generate excitement and hopefully will get people to make a purchase based on emotion rather than rationality. Just because it is displayed does not mean it is standard equipment.

Double D in Ohio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It also shows a docking station for a smart phone as we'll, but I doubt it will be standard equipment. How about the leather seats from the same P4? Definitely not standard. This car is similar to the over budget house that a realtor would show you. It's to generate excitement and hopefully will get people to make a purchase based on emotion rather than rationality. Just because it is displayed does not mean it is standard equipment.
Chris : I agree to a point, all the upgrades will be most likely done by Continental one of the suppliers..... They smart phone dock maybe standard....FB page I remember them saying they were toying with that idea. Generating excitement for new people looking at the car is probably one of the reasons that we are hearing some of the Options. Their are those of us on the site that have the opinion that the P3 body style is where they should have stayed. It had the EXCITEMENT going on on the outside as it looked sporty. However the exposed wheels and side headlights were keeping the 84 mpg HWY from being reached. You will find that most of us on here are thinking of this as Say a Goldwing Motorcycle , which I logged 35,000 miles on across the Eastern US. You had the Bike but the after market add ons were HUGE business. Most of us on here are to the point " Just start Building the dang thing" we will take care of the modifications our self. Just for a cost comparison a New Goldwing runs $20,000 to $22,000 the same is true with a Harley Electroglide Classic. Same price range. You can buy 3 Elio's for that money and have Heat and air conditioning too. Thank you for putting up the info on the Interview with Paul Elio. Just encase you didn't know the Elio FB page is a good place for info and If you have a suggestion or question they will respond to you.....Patiently waiting for my autocycle! Double D in Ohio

Blueskybob

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
+1 on Double D's comments about factory standard versus add ons.
One of the Elio blurps did state that standard would be an AM/FM radio, with a USB port. Also a 12 volt accessory outlet. Anything else you want may be available as an dealership upgrade, an aftermarket item, or a DIY.

Double D in Ohio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
+1 on Double D's comments about factory standard versus add ons.
One of the Elio blurps did state that standard would be an AM/FM radio, with a USB port. Also a 12 volt accessory outlet. Anything else you want may be available as an dealership upgrade, an aftermarket item, or a DIY.
Thanks, BlueSkybob....We all get tid bits of info here and there I appreciate your comments. Let me know if you see anything else.... I've been getting the emails but find FB page for Elio is about my best source. I think we all are chopping at the Bit to get our cars and then make them "our Own" with what ever is offered after market. Have A great Day. Double D

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good observations , DD, but am still looking forward to the IAV engine and drive train as an installed unit in the ELIO so real running tests can be conducted. Then will up-grade ! RB

Jerry Greif

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cruise control is a must have for me, if it is not available I will get an aftermarket cruise control. I have used them before. I was able to install the cruise control kit in an afternoon and they work great. I have used them on auto and manual transmissions without any problems. There are local shops that will also install them if you don't want to do it yourself.

Top Bottom