• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Options And Upgrades, Cruise Control, Etc...

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi EMT,

The Elio is dirt cheap for a new car with a warranty. It may not be for you, but you can't cheat Uncle Sam (taxes), or the truck driver that has to deliver it to you. Really, buying a $10,000.00 Camaro or Mustang is no comparison. A sports car worth $10,000 is going to have about 80k-90k miles on it and needs some TLC to get it right. So now your $10,000.00 car has turned into a 13,000.00 car. But wait! It still has 80k-90k miles on it, and something else could crap out on it at any time. Oh, and you still have to pay taxes, title, and tag fees on the used car. The Elio is a pure economy car, and since you're young (you mentioned a 3 year old) it may not be what you're looking for at this stage in your life. Remember, $13.000.00 and a possible money pit, or $10,000.00 with a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty. Yeah, you'll spank an Elio's a$$ from hell to breakfast in a drag race. But we'll wave to you while you're filling up and we're driving by the gas station.
You just converted emt to a true believer! Well done!:D

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Joshua, try it this way: a 2016 elio built in the 4th quarter of 2015 (2015 mustangs ads on tv.)
(this is the way it will probably look on the purchased agreement)

$6995 14 months from now cost will go up $200 (maybe $7200)
+$795 auto Jerome said in OKC, they are trying to keep the automatic under $1000
+$250 cruise about right, might be $50 more
+$750 destination locked in stone but to where?
+$150 store prep. Your elio must be cleaned, inspected and gassed up
$8940 total price of your elio
-$500 a discount from elio motors
$8440 your final price
+$422 a 5% estimated tax, lic and document charge for your state, might be ,more or less.
$8862 total
-$1000 your down payment
$7862 amount you owe..cash, credit card or financing?

As a retired car salesman I did over 1300 of these in about 10 years. Probably hasn't changed much.
All of us who are really going to get an elio will expect these numbers for the auto/cruise elio.
The problem as I see it, is the number of $100 all in folks who when they see these numbers of over $9000 for the elio they want. How many will say "what happened to the $6800? " Will these folks buy or cancel?
Same with the refundables, will they be shocked and cancel..by the time we get to production late next year, will they change their minds. I'm afraid over 40% to 50% will cancel..I hope not!
Because of my experience with selling vehicles, I wonder if a lot of people would consider this to be a "bait and switch" tactic. It is close to it because of the $6800 makes people want to get a inexpensive vehicle.
Elio owners is the best site to keep everyone informed without the crazies in facebook screaming reserve no, or die, or it is vaporware..or even worse...we are practical people who need to know the score, good or bad right?

+$150 store prep. Your Elio must be cleaned, inspected and gassed up.

No it don't.
That sounds like something a salesman at a dealership would say to squeeze more money out of the customers wallet. Yes, for free if you want my return business.

Retired.
I knew you had to be a car salesman the minute you typed open your mouth on the other thread.:)
http://www.elioowners.com/threads/new-car-dealers-moving-to-online-sales.1421/

Last edited:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
+$150 store prep. Your Elio must be cleaned, inspected and gassed up.

No it don't.
That sounds like something a salesman at a dealership would say to squeeze more money out of the customers wallet. Yes, for free if you want my return business.

Retired.
I knew you had to be a car salesman the minute you typed open your mouth on the other thread.:)
http://www.elioowners.com/threads/new-car-dealers-moving-to-online-sales.1421/
Thank you Craig, I was really hoping someone else would say this first. The Elio is small enough even I will be able to wash it by myself. I can't wait to at least try. Even retired car salesmen can learn to think outside the box. It simply might take them longer. LOL :-) Z

emt1581

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi EMT,

The Elio is dirt cheap for a new car with a warranty. It may not be for you, but you can't cheat Uncle Sam (taxes), or the truck driver that has to deliver it to you. Really, buying a $10,000.00 Camaro or Mustang is no comparison. A sports car worth $10,000 is going to have about 80k-90k miles on it and needs some TLC to get it right. So now your $10,000.00 car has turned into a 13,000.00 car. But wait! It still has 80k-90k miles on it, and something else could crap out on it at any time. Oh, and you still have to pay taxes, title, and tag fees on the used car. The Elio is a pure economy car, and since you're young (you mentioned a 3 year old) it may not be what you're looking for at this stage in your life. Remember, $13.000.00 and a possible money pit, or $10,000.00 with a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty. Yeah, you'll spank an Elio's a$$ from hell to breakfast in a drag race. But we'll wave to you while you're filling up and we're driving by the gas station.

You do raise great points. And you are spot on with mileage, cost to repair/maintain, etc....as far as comparing the two.

I guess my main gripe is the advertising/claims that have been made. Don't tout that a $10K car will cost $6800. Tell me it'll cost $10K and we can go from there. Might seem like 6 in one half dozen the other but to me there's a big difference. Kinda like Wise does with their freeze-dried/survival food. They label an amount as a "year's supply" even though the caloric/nutritional content will pretty much have you starved around the 5-6 month mark at best...so you need more than they advise. It's the same gripe...don't advertise one thing and pride yourself on it if it will turn out to be something totally different at the end of the payment journey.

My other gripe at this point is that, yes, it is an economy car that is doing all sorts of great things to save me money at the pump and possibly with insurance. So it's not a Kia/Hyundai...totally different class/type of vehicle. So why include things like power lock(s?), windows, etc (not sure about the mirrors)...when they really aren't absolutely crucial for the enjoyment of a cheap yet comfortable ride? Seems like they could save a significant amount of money by leaving those manual. And if someone wants those options, totally fair to make them pay for each one.

Again, just what's rolling around in my brain at this point.

-Emt1581

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You do raise great points. And you are spot on with mileage, cost to repair/maintain, etc....as far as comparing the two.

I guess my main gripe is the advertising/claims that have been made. Don't tout that a $10K car will cost $6800. Tell me it'll cost $10K and we can go from there. Might seem like 6 in one half dozen the other but to me there's a big difference. Kinda like Wise does with their freeze-dried/survival food. They label an amount as a "year's supply" even though the caloric/nutritional content will pretty much have you starved around the 5-6 month mark at best...so you need more than they advise. It's the same gripe...don't advertise one thing and pride yourself on it if it will turn out to be something totally different at the end of the payment journey.

My other gripe at this point is that, yes, it is an economy car that is doing all sorts of great things to save me money at the pump and possibly with insurance. So it's not a Kia/Hyundai...totally different class/type of vehicle. So why include things like power lock(s?), windows, etc (not sure about the mirrors)...when they really aren't absolutely crucial for the enjoyment of a cheap yet comfortable ride? Seems like they could save a significant amount of money by leaving those manual. And if someone wants those options, totally fair to make them pay for each one.

Again, just what's rolling around in my brain at this point.

-Emt1581
From what I understand, the power windows are less expensive than manual ones. They (the mechanics) also take up less space and apparently are lighter in weight but I may be wrong in that. Paul Elio isn't just touting his $6800. He sincerely believes this can be done. I have the faith to believe in him and his dream. That is why I am here. I'm one of the low income people drawn by the price and the mileage. I am aware I may have to pay more for automatic so will decide that option when I see the price. I do want cruise control so it will be definite. My license, title, registration will come to $185 unless the state increases the rates next year. We don't pay sales tax so that is not an issue. So with that I will leave you with your negative convictions and get on with living toward my livable dream. Next year in my Elio. :-) Z

emt1581

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I understand, the power windows are less expensive than manual ones. They (the mechanics) also take up less space and apparently are lighter in weight but I may be wrong in that. Paul Elio isn't just touting his $6800. He sincerely believes this can be done. I have the faith to believe in him and his dream. That is why I am here. I'm one of the low income people drawn by the price and the mileage. I am aware I may have to pay more for automatic so will decide that option when I see the price. I do want cruise control so it will be definite. My license, title, registration will come to $185 unless the state increases the rates next year. We don't pay sales tax so that is not an issue. So with that I will leave you with your negative convictions and get on with living toward my livable dream. Next year in my Elio. :) Z

Negative convictions? That's one I have not heard before. Pessimistic, disgruntled, bitter to be sure...but negative convictions...that's a new one.

I can completely understand digital/electric being cheaper UP FRONT...especially in this day and age. However, the problem with electric items on an economy car is that, at least in my experience, they seem to burn out and require replacement just after the warranty runs out. That is, they work perfectly for a few years and then the wiring and/or motor can burn up and it means pulling the housing/door apart and completely re-wiring and re-placing the mechanism.

Not really the case with a hand cranks or thumb-motors (in the case of a mirror).

-Emt1581

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You just converted emt to a true believer! Well done!:D
Thanks Jetpack. This vehicle makes sense to me, but I can see that it's not for everyone. After this news:

"So from the 4th quarter of 2013, middle of 2014 , end of 2014, 1st quarter of 2015, now 3rd quarter of 2015, then what quarter of what year will be next?.."

I must say, I'm glad I'm only "all in" for $100.00. All things Elio will be put on the back burner for a while till something at the factory, or some other big news happens. I honestly don't think it's an intended scam, just a big dreamer (Paul Elio) biting off more than he can chew. Everyone (well, most) here are great, but I'm done for 6 months or so.

P.S.- Zelio, you're an awesome person and the worlds a better place with people like you in it!

Top Bottom