• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Other Technologies That Will Need To Adapt

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
we saw an aluminum ladder in the middle of one of the lanes on the interstate.

I'm in no way saying that there can't be "stuff" on the highway that could/would cause all levels of problems .... such things as you saw most certainly are out there .... if a person driving an Elio was to hit a ladder like you saw, it could be bad but with 3 wheels would hopefully not be in the same class as hitting it with a 2 wheeler

Jim

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On the way back from the Elio road show in Birmingham, AL we saw an aluminum ladder in the middle of one of the lanes on the interstate. Four wheel cars could drive over it fine, due to it's positioning. With an Elio, it might have caused the exhaust system to tear off, and possibly an accident once it hit the rear wheel. With a motorcycle, once dark, it could be fatal.

HHH,
I'm glad you made it home Safe.

I thought Atlanta was the Only place they threw unwanted ladders in the road!!!lol
As to 'Road Gaters' (thrown recaps by big rigs), it looks like the big rigs are using fewer Recaps than before, (no proof) because I see less of them now than before.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
HHH,
I'm glad you made it home Safe.

I thought Atlanta was the Only place they threw unwanted ladders in the road!!!lol
As to 'Road Gaters' (thrown recaps by big rigs), it looks like the big rigs are using fewer Recaps than before, (no proof) because I see less of them now than before.
Meeting all the forum members who attended the Summit showing was an enjoyable experience.
I too was cataloging road hazards on my drive home and saw at least ten tire carcass pieces, an unlucky fox, and some venison. Non of the items posed a hazard to anyone paying attention.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I caught a huge road gator on the 610 Loop - thrown up and out of sight by a flatbed ahead of me. I mentally calculated the trajectory, decided I was in real trouble, and nailed the brakes, only to have the carcass land on the road in front of me, neatly folded over and about a foot high. It took out a nice chunk of my front spoiler, but at least I didn't get it through the windshield. Those things could sure mess up the exposed suspension parts on the Elio.

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I caught a huge road gator on the 610 Loop - thrown up and out of sight by a flatbed ahead of me. I mentally calculated the trajectory, decided I was in real trouble, and nailed the brakes, only to have the carcass land on the road in front of me, neatly folded over and about a foot high. It took out a nice chunk of my front spoiler, but at least I didn't get it through the windshield. Those things could sure mess up the exposed suspension parts on the Elio.

My hat is off to you for doing the Right thing in this situation, for you and any passerngers you may have had.
As I read this, I see the main point being, You did not 'Panic' but dealt with it in an way to save your/others life.
You Done Good!!!

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lil4X --- I really don't know the reason for all the road gators on the Houston area expressways. I once counted 17 on my commute to work at IAH (25 miles) just on the southbound side of highway 59. Lots of heavy flatbeds hauling oilfield equipment I suspect. I also suspect the road crews aren't terribly punctual about clearing road debris. I lived in GA for many years and seldom saw debris in the road. Houston it's commonplace.

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lil4X --- I really don't know the reason for all the road gators on the Houston area expressways. I once counted 17 on my commute to work at IAH (25 miles) just on the southbound side of highway 59. Lots of heavy flatbeds hauling oilfield equipment I suspect. I also suspect the road crews aren't terribly punctual about clearing road debris. I lived in GA for many years and seldom saw debris in the road. Houston it's commonplace.

This is the first time I have heard the term road gator for tire tread. I like it. There are a couple of roads here in Fla. where the road gators have teeth.

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is the first time I have heard the term road gator for tire tread. I like it. There are a couple of roads here in Fla. where the road gators have teeth.

I can attest to that. The first one that comes to mind is the 'Alligator Alley'. Rode that several times, All's well until the sun comes and warms them 'Big Lizzards' up. They'll come out on the roadway to warm up some more. Those gaters have Very Large Teeth and I'm sure they know how to use them. We called them South Fla.'s Sick idea of Speed Bumps!!lol

Top Bottom