• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Other Technologies That Will Need To Adapt

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I learned my lesson in High School, I was following too close behind the cars in front of me and didn't have time to avoid the dead dear in the road. Most of the time I stay far enough back so I have time to avoid nasty surprises down the road. It won't guarantee me missing road gators, bits and pieces that have fallen of uncovered loads, etc., etc. all the time, but it will give me a better chance. Still, it will be tricky sometimes to stay out of trouble with junk on the road with the three wheels, but mostly not. Continue to drive safely and your chances greatly increase that you will have many happy miles, with the occasional hiccup.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Studded snow tires should cure this.
Ive watched the winter driving video of the Elio, it appears to drive well on cleared hard packed snowy roads. What does it handle like in 4" slush, this is very common Maine. Being in Maine I am very concerned about this issue, I always drive with four studded snow tires. Switching over to the Elio I'm concerned about the tire sizes and options for studded snow tires and the resulting handling characteristics in winter months. Any knowledge on winter driving I should look at.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ive watched the winter driving video of the Elio, it appears to drive well on cleared hard packed snowy roads. What does it handle like in 4" slush, this is very common Maine. Being in Maine I am very concerned about this issue, I always drive with four studded snow tires. Switching over to the Elio I'm concerned about the tire sizes and options for studded snow tires and the resulting handling characteristics in winter months. Any knowledge on winter driving I should look at.

I suspect that it will be something like driving an old VW Beetle .... in that, it will do fine until the snow gets deep enough to pack up under it and lift the vehicle sufficiently to reduce traction .... at such times we will park the Elio and hop in one of our 3 4-wheel drive vehicles that have much more ground clearance .... on ice I don't see it being any better or worse than any other front wheel drive .... I wonder if there will be sufficient fender clearance to put snow chains on the front tires ..?

Jim

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
every since reading this and other related post I've paid much more attention to road conditions by looking for times I'd have to worry about the single rear of an Elio .... bottom line, the only times I've seen road conditions that concerned me involved chunks of rubber from blown/separated big rig tires .... pot holes in the middle of the lane simply haven't been an issue .... I know by writing this I'm dooming myself to have problems but from what I've seen so far, I don't expect it to be a major issue

Jim
We have serious pot hole conditions in Maine, bent rims, busted springs, bent frames and it's said around here the first plants to sprout in the spring are the muffler trees scattered along the road sides. I'm mostly concerned with the exhaust position and rear suspensions ability to take a good hit or two. Is there any data on this yet?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We have serious pot hole conditions in Maine, bent rims, busted springs, bent frames and it's said around here the first plants to sprout in the spring are the muffler trees scattered along the road sides. I'm mostly concerned with the exhaust position and rear suspensions ability to take a good hit or two. Is there any data on this yet?

Well, my opinion is that since the rear wheel is on a swing arm, impacting a pothole going forward will send the rear wheel along it's (the swing arm's) arc, just like a VW bug's front end...that's why they're so popular for off-roading. The front end is the one that concerns me in a pothole encounter. It's travel is vertical, which will make it more vunerable to longitudinal loads.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Keep the car, move to florida!

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score

All I know is, Jerome said (Rome, Ga.) that he was the one driving in the snow video. He said, "I got on it hard, and I couldn't get the back end to break loose, the rear end just follows the front." I am sure tho, there will be days when we will be better
off taking the "other car or truck," or just staying home. :)

Top Bottom