• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Quick Poll. Yes, Another Poll. This One About Transmissions.

Will you be buying a manual or automatic?

• Total voters

roy

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Slick roads, I'll take a standard trans every time - particularly up here in the north east; And, prudent driving should get more mpg with stick shift, n'est pas ?

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Slick roads, I'll take a standard trans every time - particularly up here in the north east; And, prudent driving should get more mpg with stick shift, n'est pas ?
n'est pas ? No. As far as we know, which I admit is just second hand reports, the trans options will be manual or an automated manual. An automated manual is from the drivers perspective just like driving an automatic.

The difference is there's no bulky weight gain or power loss. Assuming that the computer is properly programed it will shift perfectly every time. Assuming identical driving styles the driver with the automated manual will have equal or better MPG than the all to human operating the manual.

If you want to say the manual is just more fun that's fine, I get that.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wasn't referring to any automated manual when reading a tach. I was talking about a standard shift and looking at the tach to monitor the rpms that are best suited for the least amount of gas consumption in a specific gear and the preceding comment is yet another example of what a stick can do for you with regard to saving gas. But quite frankly at 84 mpg I think that I can afford the luxury of having an automatic. My 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara is a 6 speed and gets 24/25 mpg on the highway. While I love my Jeep and the stick shift, it is a vehicle that appeals to a special niche and driving preference. The Elio appeals to me as a second car for tooling around town and suburbia. If I want to Baja I have the Jeep. If I want to say hardy har har to the oil companies and keep money in my wallet I can purchase the Elio. Another Future Elio Owner had remarked here about a transmission that can be both a stick and an automatic depending on your spur of the moment driving preference. That type of set up is found in the Jeep Compass and it works very well. I believe that it would be a nice option for the Elio if possible.
True. It used to be the case the you could always beat the automatic slush box in mileage. I think that has changed now though as the computer can be programmed to maximize fuel economy with an automatic. I've been doing research and some automatic transmissions are better (within the same model of car) while some vehicles do better with the manuals. I was also searching for costs because, as Zelio pointed out, she doesn't want to have to pay a lot more just because she wants to avoid using the clutch. I found that some automatics are actually cheaper than their manual options. Let's just hope that whatever Elio ends up with, they publish good fuel economy numbers and give us a fair shot at getting what each of us want.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True. It used to be the case the you could always beat the automatic slush box in mileage. I think that has changed now though as the computer can be programmed to maximize fuel economy with an automatic. I've been doing research and some automatic transmissions are better (within the same model of car) while some vehicles do better with the manuals. I was also searching for costs because, as Zelio pointed out, she doesn't want to have to pay a lot more just because she wants to avoid using the clutch. I found that some automatics are actually cheaper than their manual options. Let's just hope that whatever Elio ends up with, they publish good fuel economy numbers and give us a fair shot at getting what each of us want.
Thanks for doing the research for me, Ty. I haven't bothered because frankly I probably wouldn't understand most of what is said in any reports other than it is good or bad. LOL Now if you want to know how to draft, cut, sew a garment. . . . . . . I'm your go to woman. LOL :-) Z

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for doing the research for me, Ty. I haven't bothered because frankly I probably wouldn't understand most of what is said in any reports other than it is good or bad. LOL Now if you want to know how to draft, cut, sew a garment. . . . . . . I'm your go to woman. LOL :) Z
Zelio, I just love your perspective on everything and you are one of the reasons I find this forum so entertaining.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Zelio, I just love your perspective on everything and you are one of the reasons I find this forum so entertaining.
Thank you. I guess I had better go fix and eat breakfast on that wonderful note or I may make the mistake of reading something else and end up with indigestion. LOL :-) Z

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I missed that article... Being a "Zonie" this is a big step... I have already been preparing to borrow someone's motorcycle to test just to have my motorcycle tag if the SB1201 doesn't pass... Waiting with fingers crossed... One never knows with AZ what will happen... Just saying...!

SB1201 on Gov. Brewers desk...............
Status
Action: 2014-04-17 - Transmitted to Governor
Text: Latest bill text (Engrossed)
HTML:
[/URL]
:)

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No question she is the kind of person I would like to meet in person some day. Her posts make you smile. Hmmmm any chance she's a dude posing as a woman to throw us off??
LOL Hey! I'm right here and I heard that. LOL Now the question is, should I tell you or not. Hmmm. I'll have to think about that. LOL :-) Z

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you want to say the manual is just more fun that's fine, I get that.

I believe the AMT are posting quicker 0-60 times of late in some of
the high performance cars.....
  1. Manual tranny takes another step into oblivion - Scion FR-S ...
    www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=142108‎Feb 24, 2012 - 22 posts - ‎13 authors
    “We're seeing a trend toward more manual-mode-capable, fun-to-drive ... delivers a 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds – a tenth of a second faster than the manual transmission time. ... With 0 to 60 taking 3.9 seconds, and a top speed of 184 mph, the ... on to another point related to the original post. one area that has :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom