• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Results Are In!!!! Vote Early, Vote Often!

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree, there are so many reds :embarassed: and depending on the shade of red in both daylight and artificial lighting it changes. But the same goes for any color. There are some colors that look good in artificial light, but take it outside and it's so-so. I hope they have a red that's true to it's name; Red Hot :car:
I have owned one bright red car (an Opel Kadet), but I've noticed that red, at least as it used to be made, oxidized pretty quickly. I have the same worry about Creamsicle; in some lights, it looks cream-sickly!

Maybe modern paint technology has made that concern about red obsolete. But a dull, beat-up red is a lousy looking color. If Elio's red were a very deep, intense, red-black metallic, I'd be on it! Or candy-apple red, which is similar. None of the reds I've seen in on-line images of paint chips for Red Hot are really very red to my eye; as I said in an earlier posting, they have a ton of blue in them. If you want red to be hot, add yellow! If you want in intense, add a little black. But the Elio red has zero yellow in it, and that's why it looks kind of understated to my eye (and to my Photoshop color analyzer).

Part of the problem, I guess, si that you can't show gloss on a computer screen very well, even though the transmissive light source slamming into our eyes has more energy than any reflective light source ever will. So I guess we have to wait for the reality, see it in person, and judge then.

I've had a sky-blue Porsche 911, a copper Camry, a green-black Passat, a silver RX7, and a yellow Marcos. Oh, yeah, a maroon Renault, a sky blue Renault, and a forest-green Fiat 850 (what a dog!). No black cars, though, I don't like how hot they get and how dull they get without constant maintenance. I've probably forgotten half a dozed more; I've been driving my own cars since 1966.

If I could have any color, I'd go for the afore-mentioned black-red. But I'd also love a BRG color, with yellow trim. Or even a very sophisticated dove grey with black trim. Truly, I'd love to find a way to actually have one of Silas Sunday's designs come to life. But I'll never have the money for that without winning the lottery, especially after having my Elio retrofitted with a turbo! (Note my signature line: hasn't changed since the day I joined the forum, and maybe I'll actually have my wish list!)

Last edited:

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have owned one bright red car (an Opel Kadet), but I've noticed that red, at least as it used to be made, oxidized pretty quickly. I have the same worry about Creamsicle; in some lights, it looks cream-sickly!

Maybe modern paint technology has made that concern about red obsolete. But a dull, beat-up red is a lousy looking color. If Elio's red were a very deep, intense, red-black metallic, I'd be on it! Or candy-apple red, which is similar. None of the reds I've seen in on-line images of paint chips for Red Hot are really very red to my eye; as I said in an earlier posting, they have a ton of blue in them. If you want red to be hot, add yellow! If you want in intense, add a little black. But the Elio red has zero yellow in it, and that's why it looks kind of understated to my eye (and to my Photoshop color analyzer).

Part of the problem, I guess, si that you can't show gloss on a computer screen very well, even though the transmissive light source slamming into our eyes has more energy than any reflective light source ever will. So I guess we have to wait for the reality, see it in person, and judge then.

I've had a sky-blue Porsche 911, a copper Camry, a green-black Passat, a silver RX7, and a yellow Marcos. Oh, yeah, a maroon Renault, a sky blue Renault, and a forest-green Fiat 850 (what a dog!). No black cars, though, I don't like how hot they get and how dull they get without constant maintenance. I've probably forgotten half a dozed more; I've been driving my own cars since 1966.

If I could have any color, I'd go for the afore-mentioned black-red. But I'd also love a BRG color, with yellow trim. Or even a very sophisticated dove grey with black trim. Truly, I'd love to find a way to actually have one of Silas Sunday's designs come to life. But I'll never have the money for that without winning the lottery, especially after having my Elio retrofitted with a turbo! (Note my signature line: hasn't changed since the day I joined the forum, and maybe I'll actually have my wish list!)
Obviously, I'm thrilled that the P5 will be red. I've had red cars since 1964 including (Fords, Dodges, Chevy's. I found that if you keep them cleaned and waxed you won't have a problem with oxidation or fading.

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree, there are so many reds :embarassed: and depending on the shade of red in both daylight and artificial lighting it changes. But the same goes for any color. There are some colors that look good in artificial light, but take it outside and it's so-so. I hope they have a red that's true to it's name; Red Hot :car:
:boink:I believe most cars are seen outdoors, i.e., daylight conditions.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
:boink:I believe most cars are seen outdoors, i.e., daylight conditions.
True, sort of, think about the lighting at evening/night.
Street lights, headlights and the such would all be artificial lighting.
The P5 will be seen in a number of indoor sites along with the outdoors.
For the production versions will be a different story; and while a color can be made to look great indoors it might not work outdoors and vice versa.
I live in the NW and in the winter we only get 8 to 9 hours of daylight (December it's light at 8:00am dark by 3:30)
That's why I had said both types of lighting.

Top Bottom