• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Safety : More Driver-side Impacts

JN2Wheels

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to clarify. This is not criticism. The Elio is what it is, and I want it. However, in promoting a Automobile-specific safety feature, the Elio invites comparison to cars. Comparing this to a motorcycle is not valid, legality aside. That's kinda the point. So, my post was mainly to point out a statistically significant thought that, in my mind, is an asterisks next to those 5 stars.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A five star rating in roll over and side impact for an Elio will provide you the same level of protection as a Cadillac Escalade or HUMV. This, physiologically, for those who look at this as a car, will be a major plus for EM and lessen any fears they may have about riding in something so narrow.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCwQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.safercar.gov%2FFAQ&ei=YjANU9XtMoXlyAHFsIHYBA&usg=AFQjCNHe5-BhqmyDRPUwqv4GTi6dvcEngg&bvm=bv.61965928,d.aWc

This is a PDF, it is safe. Your computer may ask you if you wish to open.

Last edited:

R

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I don't know much all this star rating which I am sure is always all good...I just know I want an Elio regardless, also because of the other 3 factors (cost/American made/mpg) aside from the star rating

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd still like to be pretty well safe since the car is still pretty small and lightweight so I'd like to see a crash test done asap

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd still like to be pretty well safe since the car is still pretty small and lightweight so I'd like to see a crash test done asap

The testing agency will purchase, in secret, 5 or so cars after they start production and the cars are on the road. There will be no testing or rating before production.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just to clarify. This is not criticism. The Elio is what it is, and I want it. However, in promoting a Automobile-specific safety feature, the Elio invites comparison to cars. Comparing this to a motorcycle is not valid, legality aside. That's kinda the point. So, my post was mainly to point out a statistically significant thought that, in my mind, is an asterisks next to those 5 stars.
This is basically an enclosed tricycle with car amenities. Elio motor is trying to pass this as a "car" so no helmet is necessary and in all fairness, if you have to compare the Elio to a car, at least pick one with the same 3 wheel setup and then see which one passes the crash test with 5 stars!!! Otherwise, if you're afraid of it then this is not the car for you! Bottom line is, as soon as you get in your car, the chances of being involve in an accident, your fault or not is never in the driver' favor that's why automobile insurance is a billion dollar business so if you want to feel safe, I suggest you stay indoor or buy a tank!:D

Last edited:

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For those that still wants the Elio but wants every safety feature that can be installed on it, there's a company that transform an ordinary vehicle into literally an armor, they will install run flat tires, armor plate the whole car, install roll cage and install an 8 cylinder engine...at your expense of course. Then again by the time they're done...it won't resemble an Elio!:D

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For those that still wants the Elio but wants every safety feature that can be installed on it, there's a company that transform an ordinary vehicle into literally an armor, they will install run flat tires, armor plate the whole car, install roll cage and install an 8 cylinder engine...at your expense of course. Then again by the time they're done...it won't resemble an Elio!:D
YMMV,
23609886_BG1.jpg

Top Bottom