• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Safety : More Driver-side Impacts

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The testing agency will purchase, in secret, 5 or so cars after they start production and the cars are on the road. There will be no testing or rating before production.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think EM is going to pay a independent testing facility to validate the safety of it before production starts. As I read it, it is standard practice in the automotive industry to do this. That way you known where your vehicle rates before NHTSA does there testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I haven't seen one in person, but from all the photos it looks like it is very spacious inside. From the photos I would guess that there is more room between the driver and either side wall of the car than is normally between the driver and the driver side wall of a traditional car. Either way it is far safer than my 2001 Mazda Miata which received a three star crash rating if memory serves me correct. I think that injuries in a crash can be attributed to many things. My wife was rear ended last year in our lifted 2000 Jeep Cherokee. Nothing happened to our Jeep but a scratched bumper. The other car was annihilated, I could not even tell what kind of car it was. Ironically that girl walked away with no injuries and my wife's back and neck have not been the same since. The other girls car dissipated the force of the collision where our Jeep transferred the force to my wife's body, causing more injury. There are many scenarios that we can try to predict, but no matter what you are driving there is probably something else bigger and heavier that could potentially hit you. There is always risk, but this car will be safer than both of the vehicles that we currently own and drive.

Jerry Greif

Elio Addict
Reaction score
TO be honest I don't care about side impact or rollover ratings. I don't plan on driving upside down or getting in a wreck. If I was concerned about getting in a wreck I would stay off the road. Drive defensively, Drive within the speed limit and enjoy the road with your Elio. (A 50 caliber gun on the roof would make me feel a lot better on my daily commute to work.)

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
(A 50 caliber gun on the roof would make me feel a lot better on my daily commute to work.)
Probably wouldn't be good for the aerodynamics. I'm thinking it would reduce fuel economy. More importantly, to stay relevant with the thread. Do you think that would increase your safety in a side impact collision?

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think EM is going to pay a independent testing facility to validate the safety of it before production starts. As I read it, it is standard practice in the automotive industry to do this. That way you known where your vehicle rates before NHTSA does there testing.

You may be correct. My mistake, I ment the NHTSA.

Jerry Greif

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Probably wouldn't be good for the aerodynamics. I'm thinking it would reduce fuel economy. More importantly, to stay relevant with the thread. Do you think that would increase your safety in a side impact collision?

I really wonder why anyone would be concerned with the side impact rating, its a motorcycle, think about it!

JN2Wheels

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really wonder why anyone would be concerned with the side impact rating, its a motorcycle, think about it!
While I understand the legal classification of this vehicle, I'm not sure any other topic hits as close to the point of the elio. It has nothing in common with a motorcycle. Really, not a single thing. Arguments like this miss the point of this vehicle. Elio sure knows this, which is why the safety of the thing is one of its primary selling and dicussion points.

Top Bottom