• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Sondors Electric Car

TheAsterisk!

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Used Nissan Leafs and Chevy Spark EVs can both be had for under $9k, with ranges from 70-100 miles (depending on age/condition). In just a few more years, the first generation of production EVs will be in the same price range as your $1100 Civic, while still retaining an electric range from 60-90ish miles.
My earlier post, and this response with it, are not meant to 'make the case' against electric vehicles, nor is it meant to convince or persuade others to think like me. I'm a fairly obvious weirdo, and I know it, and I'm fine with my particular madness. I offer my comments as explanation of the reasoning behind my position, as it pertains to my use, no more.

As I get frustrated by the continued attempts to persuade me to get excited about current EV technologies, most of which are based on misunderstandings or hasty assumptions about my priorities and my goals with vehicles, the tone becomes somewhat adversarial below. I'm not ticked off at anyone in the thread so much as tired of revisiting the same topic in multiple media and fora, and it shows in my response. Hopefully, you all understand, and there will be no hard feelings. If not, then you have my apologies.

Accordingly, and due to its possible lack of utility to forum members with distinctly different automotive concerns and needs, the bulk of my response has been placed in spoiler tags to save some frustration and space.

Here be dragons...
My Civic could do about 440 miles. Even my crappier replacement, a Ford Focus hatchback, can exceed 300 mile range. I visit family in Wisconsin every couple of weeks (about 180 miles), and can't easily borrow a car. Refueling takes minutes, but a recharge even on a fast-charger takes significantly longer- nevermind standard household current.

I have no credit cards, which rules out most car rental agencies, too, since they freak out at my non-existent credit history. Outside of charters, flights don't happen, not unless you want to terminate your travel about an hour away from where you want to be, and only after connecting through Detroit or Chicago and paying close to $350 fare each way. Trains only go to Chicago, and a connection effectively makes travel a day-long affair, with eventual bus connections, with no time left to visit, all for about $200 round-trip. Buses are cheaper, but similarly overwrought and slow.

When gas was still close to $4/gallon, the Civic did it for about $35, round-trip, maybe $50 if I drove like I was really angry at the world.

An EV, at current state-of-the-art, isn't an option for this use-case.

Used car prices are also persistently and laughably inflated anywhere near Bloomington, IL, since it's State Farm's headquarters and they bring in people unaccustomed to their new (higher) pay rates, who rack up huge bills on credit, driving up market prices on durable goods around here. What I paid $1100 for was probably really worth about $1900-$2K, and around here would be more like $3K-$4K, easy. The Ford, at $1500 here, really should have been more like $900 most other places, given what work had to go into it right away to make it serviceable, and it was actually a little bit of a deal in the local market.

If I'm buying used, given my financials, we're talking about cars topping out at $3K, cash, else it isn't worth it. So far, I've spent a maximum of $1500 on any one vehicle, that being my most recent and most expensive one, mostly since it was bought in town here. To keep it in perspective, a good yearly income for me is maybe $24K, with $16-19K being much more typical. I have savings disproportionate to the norm for my income, but they are just that- savings. They are there for if and when things go sideways, not to facilitate wants in place of needs. Given the unsavory (to my sensibilities) terms of financing, any higher price isn't worth it to me unless I can get a new-manufacture car, with full warranty, for less than $11K, tops, more comfortably at $9k. I am not prepared to pay interest on, and pay under threat of repossession of, a marginally better but more expensive used car that gains me maybe two or three more years of reliable service, tops.

On a similar note to that, if I were looking at used cars for around $8-9K, like your hypothetical used Leaf or Spark (the latter of which I've never actually seen in the wild), I could get a similarly conditioned, boring-but-venerable little Toyota sedan or somesuch for somewhat less, with greater range and adaptability. Just because I have "x" dollars in my budget does not mean that I would pass up a chance to spend only "x-n" (where "n" is a positive number :) ) instead, given the chance.

I'm not here as an automotive enthusiast. In fact, I pretty much hate cars for the apparently obstinate way that they fail to lend themselves to easy maintenance. Even many of those tasks that are easy to do are only easy given a significant up-front investment in proper tools, and much of it still can't be done in- say- an apartment complex parking lot, at least not if you don't want the manager or landlord on your backside afterwards. I come from the utopia of PC builds, where parts are largely standardized and interchangeable across brands and models, and it's the Fisher-Price school of installation (square plug goes into the square hole, only fits one way, no real physical calibration needed, blue-to-blue, etc.), and cars' lack of such universal commonality are a byzantine nightmare to those sensibilities. I'm here because I'm one of those guys that Paul Elio talked about who will pay for the remainder of the car with the gas card because that's my only attractive choice. Knock down that balance to about $4K with a sizeable down payment (or just initial balance payment- depends how they do it), and it actually becomes something I can just tolerate in spite of my aversion to carrying debt.

I must stop saying "never" . It all started with ......I'll never drive a 6 cylinder , then I'll never drive a 4 and ultimately I would never drive a Hybrid . I mull these things over as I cruise in my Hyundai Sonata Hybrid ( 42 mpg)
So maybe there is an electric in my future . One never knows .....
I have no doubt that EVs will eventually meet and even exceed my demands. I will happily make use of them at that point. In the interim, I will not hamstring myself, financially or operationally, just because it's an EV.

If it meets someone else's needs, by all means. They don't meet mine. Once they do, I'm all for it. Electric drive is wonderful, but the energy storage/batteries are marginal at best, right now, though improving steadily and incrementally as time passes.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Show me ANY thread that has !!!! :p
Understood; that's why I included "I wonder if it can be done".
It would probably take restricted right to make it where only certain people can make entries; so you would have to submit your announcement to one of those that have the rights to enter it for you.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My earlier post, and this response with it, are not meant to 'make the case' against electric vehicles...

I trimmed the quoted response for easy reading, but be assured I did read the whole thing :)

But yeah, I'm sorry if I came off as trying to convince you into an EV or anything like that. You just said you hadn't seen any sub $9k EVs, and I was saying that they were out there :)

As to cars being an annoying device that you put up with out of necessity, I understand that completely. At the risk of sounding like an EV-angelist, the thing I like most about the Leaf is that I just plug it in at night and unplug it in the morning. No oil changes, no transmission that will ever break, no spark plugs or exhaust manifolds or any of that other junk. It's four years old, and still smells like a new car on the inside. As long as I keep it topped up on electricity every night, and stop by the gas station to pick up windshield washer fluid periodically, then it keeps on (silently) humming.

My whole life has been driving the sort of "disposable" cars you talk about. Our other car is a 2002 PT Cruiser that I picked up for $1000. It was sold cheap because it had an overheating problem that turned out to be just a rusted-out thermostat, so I saved about $600 on it versus market price for my area. It also needs some diagnostic work done on a faulty MAP sensor. The car it replaced had a completely detached muffler and was burning a quart of oil every two-to-three weeks. All of those are typical aging problems on gas cars.

Once we get our Elio, it will replace the PT Cruiser as our "long-distance" car. But aside from the occasional cross-country trips, we want to switch all our daily driving to EVs.

Again, not trying to convince you to switch or anything like that. Just sharing my personal experience with you all :D

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As to cars being an annoying device that you put up with out of necessity, I understand that completely. At the risk of sounding like an EV-angelist, the thing I like most about the Leaf is that I just plug it in at night and unplug it in the morning. No oil changes, no transmission that will ever break, no spark plugs or exhaust manifolds or any of that other junk. It's four years old, and still smells like a new car on the inside. As long as I keep it topped up on electricity every night, and stop by the gas station to pick up windshield washer fluid periodically, then it keeps on (silently) humming.

That was what prompted me to build an electric bicycle. A couple years back I wound up with a free weed eater. Wondering what to do with the motor, I ended up wanting to put it on my bicycle for a fun project. In my research I ended up diving into the wonderful world of motorized bicycles. I had no idea there was such a large community or that so many kits were available.

Once I finished my DIY weed eater bike, I sold that to buy a "real" 2 stroke motorized bicycle kit. That Chinese 2 stroke kit was a lot of fun but required weekly maintenance, adjustment, and tightening. There was always something that needed attending.

That began my journey into electrics. I use my motorized bicycle for errands around the neighborhood. Sure, pedaling would be healthier but motorized bicycling is so much fun. Quite a different experience than on a motorcycle. Fed up with all the upkeep, I sold off my 2 stroke bike piece by piece and built my electric bike with rear hub motor. Three years later, the only maintenance I have needed to do was top up the air in the tires and charge once per week. I built one for my wife too, zero issues.

BUT... my batteries are taking a noticeable dive in capacity. I went from easily going 15 miles between charges to a little under 10 miles now. When it comes time to replace them, at $300 to replace all of the packs I am not sure if I will replace the batteries or sell the gear and build a higher quality four stroke.

My point is, with electrics I found what I was looking for in reliability and ease of use. Just charge and go, but the battery replacement is not a negligible cost. Looking at used Leafs around here, I see a LOT in the 3-4 year old range around $9,000. But those are only a couple years from replacing a $5,500 battery.

So when (not if) I buy an electric vehicle to commute with I will take the money I would normally put into gas and oil changes and put them into a battery savings fund until I get enough to buy the inevitable replacement. Just one more thing to plan for, but if you are caught unprepared then would hurt pretty bad.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Okay, Coss. But you have to agree then that 1 million for a working prototype is a bit optimistic...
It depends on the final product target. So, let say difficulty translates into cost to prototype, plus also the cost to set production up.

It's easy to build a custom 3 wheeler for under 30k with your own labor. With mostly out sourced skilled labor, 100k.
Harder to build one that's intended to example a DIY kit, add time to play with design and costlier parts supply.

My tooling for the Atlantric has cost me $5k up to now. I'm 20% done. But fully outsourced labor to get a full set of molds, would be about $300k-$500k.

Harder still if a vehicle is to be "product safe", ie doesn't pinch (or break) you when you press a button or shift a lever.
And product safe is no where near street vehicle crash safe.
Add more cost if this is to be compatible with high volume production methods. And you need high production to hit a 'turn-key' sale price under $15k. That was for a gas engine drive. Add more for electric drive, between $5k and $25k, depending on the technology and range.

So will this guy hit a high production rate? Even if so, I hugely doubt he can produce this as electric for under $15k, even fully Chinese engineered and supplied.
At the low volume end we already have a smaller-similar vehicle that failed to continue at 25k, the Sparrow. The sparrow is about 70% of the vehicle that this Sondors represents.

So yes, I say the 10k price is 'pie-in-the-sky'.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I trimmed the quoted response for easy reading, but be assured I did read the whole thing :)

But yeah, I'm sorry if I came off as trying to convince you into an EV or anything like that. You just said you hadn't seen any sub $9k EVs, and I was saying that they were out there :)

My whole life has been driving the sort of "disposable" cars you talk about. Our other car is a 2002 PT Cruiser that I picked up for $1000. It was sold cheap because it had an overheating problem that turned out to be just a rusted-out thermostat, so I saved about $600 on it versus market price for my area. It also needs some diagnostic work done on a faulty MAP sensor. The car it replaced had a completely detached muffler and was burning a quart of oil every two-to-three weeks. All of those are typical aging problems on gas cars.

Once we get our Elio, it will replace the PT Cruiser as our "long-distance" car. But aside from the occasional cross-country trips, we want to switch all our daily driving to EVs.

Again, not trying to convince you to switch or anything like that. Just sharing my personal experience with you all :D
You convinced me! :) I've been fascinated by EV's for a long time.....waiting on one that meets my personal needs. Assuming reliability, I like the idea of the low to no maintenance factor of owning and driving an EV in the very near future.......and NMG.

The Elio would serve as a functional $7300 range extender, how ever, everything regarding Elio is based on personal assumptions since there is no Elio and no real world testing.

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
...daily driving to EVs.

I believe what would change the EV market is a switch to marketing the battery pack separate from the vehicle. To do this there should be some kind of mileage meter on the pack. Then the risk/value/price could be more accurately assessed.
Then the new normal would be saving a bundle on not replacing your car, and instead spending for battery packs.

But the industry seems dedicated to a tightly bundled pack-and-car, forcing a full vehicle replacement. I think they are hurting themselves not taking the opportunity in after market packs.

It may mean some surprise car company could steal the game, being the first to seize the new business model.

This is the place Elio is in, at the threshold of a new business model that could scope out a huge market place, stealing some of the energy from the regular car market, to include EV's.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It depends on the final product target. So, let say difficulty translates into cost to prototype, plus also the cost to set production up.

It's easy to build a custom 3 wheeler for under 30k with your own labor. With mostly out sourced skilled labor, 100k.
Harder to build one that's intended to example a DIY kit, add time to play with design and costlier parts supply.

My tooling for the Atlantric has cost me $5k up to now. I'm 20% done. But fully outsourced labor to get a full set of molds, would be about $300k-$500k.

Harder still if a vehicle is to be "product safe", ie doesn't pinch (or break) you when you press a button or shift a lever.
And product safe is no where near street vehicle crash safe.
Add more cost if this is to be compatible with high volume production methods. And you need high production to hit a 'turn-key' sale price under $15k. That was for a gas engine drive. Add more for electric drive, between $5k and $25k, depending on the technology and range.

So will this guy hit a high production rate? Even if so, I hugely doubt he can produce this as electric for under $15k, even fully Chinese engineered and supplied.
At the low volume end we already have a smaller-similar vehicle that failed to continue at 25k, the Sparrow. The sparrow is about 70% of the vehicle that this Sondors represents.

So yes, I say the 10k price is 'pie-in-the-sky'.
Not pie, when you consider the low volume production msrp of the SRK @ $11,900 and the new and improved Sparrow SOLO @ $15,500. Mass production could bring pricing on these concepts down considerably. Along with higher range lower cost battery packs. Sonders has a chance only if market acceptance demands mass production. EM states market acceptance as a risk factor.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe what would change the EV market is a switch to marketing the battery pack separate from the vehicle. To do this there should be some kind of mileage meter on the pack. Then the risk/value/price could be more accurately assessed.
Then the new normal would be saving a bundle on not replacing your car, and instead spending for battery packs.
For some reason, YouTube lists this commercial all over the place, but only in non-existent playlists. I could only find it once with a Polish title:

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's a Saturday Night Live skit: the Mercedes "AA Class". I like the rapid release system for dumping the dead batteries. :p

The idea of a standard, interchangeable battery pack is a good concept. Not sure that any manufacturer would be willing to take that chance until something better than lithium batteries comes along. Too much liability from cheap battery packs. We're not talking about your shiny new iLaptop or Galaxy S99 phone. We're talking about a *very* expensive car. Having that battery pack melt down would be a hell of a lot more energetic than a 3000 mAh phone battery.

But really, the free market itself will take over once battery tech becomes safe enough and enough cars are built with some specific battery style. Once you've got a couple million of the same battery on the road, the economics of developing and marketing a third-party replacement battery become a whole lot different than if there are only 30,000 on the road.

Of course, you have to find a battery manufacturer willing to stop selling the proprietary (i.e. expensive) battery packs to the OEMs long enough to sell batteries to an aftermarket supplier. I don't see that happening any time soon.

Top Bottom