• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Steering Wheel Questions? Tilt? Telescopic? Size? Material?

JN2Wheels

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nevermind on telescoping. Still not sure about Tilt (but that has to be the absolute least they can offer??!!) I found this quote from Elio in their facebook comments on Jan 11, 2013 .... So I hope things have changed since then!

There will be a hood that opens like we are used to to get at the engine and check the fluids/belts etc. The steering wheel will not extend. There will be a full complement of rear lights (brake, reverse, turn). Tire change effort will be very similar to what it is with a passenger vehicle today, with some nuance that will be easy to handle. Front seat is adjustable front to back (slide) and angle of chair back (tilt forward and backwards). Good questions, thanks
January 11, 2013 at 9:24pm · Like · 2

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
To those who have been in it, about what size is the steering wheel? Is it a tiny little wheel like in other econoboxes or is a normal size wheel that is roughly shoulder width?

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is a post from a person on Facebook that went to see the P4 today in San Antonio, TX.

Dave E LuellenYep, just got back from seeing it! Very impressed so far, now just waiting for a solid production date. There's plenty of room for the driver and passenger, 2 usb connections, tilt steering, roll cage, front wheel drive, airbags... what's not to love! Oh yeah, 0-60 in 9.7sec, 55hp 55torque, 0.9ltr engine, 1200 lbs.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is a post from a person on Facebook that went to see the P4 today in San Antonio, TX.

Dave E LuellenYep, just got back from seeing it! Very impressed so far, now just waiting for a solid production date. There's plenty of room for the driver and passenger, 2 usb connections, tilt steering, roll cage, front wheel drive, airbags... what's not to love! Oh yeah, 0-60 in 9.7sec, 55hp 55torque, 0.9ltr engine, 1200 lbs.
Thank you Cali Chris and Dave E Luellen!

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I sat in the P3 and was amazed at how roomy it was width wise and height. I imagine the P4 had similar dimensions. I think we have to be careful how many options we demand on the base model car. It could get to the point where you're only a couple thousand less than a Kia Rio or Nissan Versa or other traditional low cost vehicle that would seat 5 and get 40 mpg. One of the best "features" of this vehicle is it's low cost. They need to keep it that way. Not sure if I'd get one of these if I had to pay $10,000 for it. Well...yeah...actually I probably would. :)

GaPawn

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything on a tilt steering wheel option, or will it be a fixed "one size fits all"?

My '84 300D Benz doesn't have a tilt wheel, and I like it just fine, but it has a HUGE steering wheel that you can easily see the dash thru. My '89 S10 Blazer DID have tilt wheel, but it got so loose and sloppy in the joint, that it was scary to drive if you weren't used to it. :eek:

In the interest of keeping the cost down, and having a steering wheel that won't wiggle all over when you turn it (after a hundred K miles or so) I've got no problems with a fixed steering wheel, assuming they can mount it so that it doesn't block my view of the gauges and I have to crane my neck to see them..... :confused:

AND, for what it's worth, that HUGE steering wheel on the Benz would also be nice for leverage on the Elio, since it won't have power steering. That might be a good way to kill two birds with one stone.... :cool:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything on a tilt steering wheel option, or will it be a fixed "one size fits all"?

My '84 300D Benz doesn't have a tilt wheel, and I like it just fine, but it has a HUGE steering wheel that you can easily see the dash thru. My '89 S10 Blazer DID have tilt wheel, but it got so loose and sloppy in the joint, that it was scary to drive if you weren't used to it. :eek:

In the interest of keeping the cost down, and having a steering wheel that won't wiggle all over when you turn it (after a hundred K miles or so) I've got no problems with a fixed steering wheel, assuming they can mount it so that it doesn't block my view of the gauges and I have to crane my neck to see them..... :confused:

AND, for what it's worth, that HUGE steering wheel on the Benz would also be nice for leverage on the Elio, since it won't have power steering. That might be a good way to kill two birds with one stone.... :cool:
If I remember correctly (and contrary to some comments I am not always right) I asked about the steering wheel when I was in Portland. The response was yes there will be tilt steering wheel.

Now as for the large steering wheel? In my totally biased and not the least bit humble opinion, if it is anywhere near the size of the steering wheel I had to drive with in a school bus - forget it. That thing was huge and I'm short - not a good combination in trying to steer. Of course the Elio is also not a 66 passenger bus but still. . . . . . .:-) Z

Top Bottom