• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The E-series Build.

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Motors has commented several times they would be starting the E series build later this month, presumably if it takes 4 to 6 weeks to build them we would be looking at the end of June or start of July to begin testing, this remains consistent with what EM outlined in their SEC filing for timeline last year making this one of the most consistent stretches of EM's projected timelines I can think of over the past several years.:eek: Not to jinx EM's slow and steady progress, we know that Nemak it EM's partner for casting the engine block, has anyone seen any reference for when the engines in vehicles to be tested with an engine (assuming not all vehicles technically need an engine for some of the tests) will be completed, before, after, the same time as the E series build? Presumably before? If before, would there be any testing on them before being dropped into the chassis? We've heard very little about the engine for quite some time now.
I agree, it has been a while since we have heard anything about the engine. I would think they could set one up on a dyno and run it through it's paces until it failed. Running an engine 24/7 would certainly show it's strengths and weaknesses.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree, it has been a while since we have heard anything about the engine. I would think they could set one up on a dyno and run it through it's paces until it failed. Running an engine 24/7 would certainly show it's strengths and weaknesses.
There's a specific test for that ... and I believe they did it for Engine #1. Engine #2 is in the P5. Basically, you decrease the volume of oil in metered steps and observe temperature changes. Then you finish removing the oil and wait to see how long it takes until the engine locks up or otherwise self-destructs. I've forgotten what the target is, but it is some astonishingly long stretch with no oil whatsoever. Not recommended for your Elio!

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wait, so will the 25 E-series vehicles (to be destroyed) be built in December? Or is that the 100 pre-production models? (If the 100 are in December, then when are they building the 25 E-series)?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Wait, so will the 25 E-series vehicles (to be destroyed) be built in December? Or is that the 100 pre-production models? (If the 100 are in December, then when are they building the 25 E-series)?
They are doing the E series build in June, the Fleet vehicles are in December.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Coss is there information out there about more than one E-series vehicle being done in June?
There's not; you can pick up bits and pieces about it from the recent news letters and blog entries.
It will be more that one; EM said "they are being built by 8 man teams" so it appears it will be a few at a time, one right after the other.
They've never said how many "8 man teams" there are, but being "Teams" leads me to believe it's more than one.
EM is letting a lot more information out, they're just not doing it one big chunk.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I really thought it said "an 8 man team", as in just 8.

Take a look at the press release from April 21st:
The E-Series vehicles will be hand crafted at the Pilot Operations Center by a seasoned, eight-person build team.

Team, singular. From EM Blog.

Then I stand corrected then; I was doing it from memory, not from having it handy.

But 8 people on one Elio would have them crawling over each other; I'm going to guess and say 2 people per vehicle would be a good way.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Then I stand corrected then; I was doing it from memory, not from having it handy.

But 8 people on one Elio would have them crawling over each other; I'm going to guess and say 2 people per vehicle would be a good way.
Well... Maybe.
I'm thinking possible state DOT worker methodology here...
2 supervising, 2 discussing, 2 watching and 2 working.

Top Bottom