• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Directly from the Elio Motors' site (I changed only the text color):

What does IAV supply to Elio Motors?
IAV is the engine designer for Elio Motors. They will design and develop the entire powertrain for the vehicle (engine, transmission, powertrain control system? Including performance, emissions, validation and endurance testing.

They may decide to use an Aisin transmission, of course, and I've seen that name floated around but I don't think it is in stone yet.

When I talked to Jerome in May he said 'Aisen'. Cost number has floated from
no difference back in '13 to not over $1,000. most recent...............
[Broken External Image]

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If I understand this now, iAV will not be doing the manufacturing of the engines--some other company will be producing ~700 engines a day (second year).

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
They still haven't picked a tranny supplier. The tranny will be a single-clutch transmission, but no clutch pedal. In the automatic version the computer chooses the shift points; in the manual version the driver does it by moving a selector lever.
Not having a clutch pedal would likely be a deal breaker for me!!! :confused:o_O:eek::(

What PE said in the Town Hall is that the gearbox is the same in both which will allow for flat towing in neutral. The manual transmission will still have the usual manual clutch pedal and gearshift while the automatic removes these and replace the gear shift with a drive mode selector and adds electro-mechanical actuators and a computer to control the clutch and gear changes. This is why the automatic is an extra cost option as it does cost extra money to add the actuators and computer to control the transmission.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
If I understand this now, iAV will not be doing the manufacturing of the engines--some other company will be producing ~700 engines a day (second year).

Do you know where you heard this information? I have not heard anything about an outside company actually building the engines however what has been discussed is that the castings would be produced by an outside firm as Elio Motors would not set up their own foundry and Comau is providing all the equipment and tooling needed to machine and assemble the engine along with engineers to support the process. From what we have heard all this work would happen in the plant in Shreveport with Elio employees doing most of the work.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What PE said in the Town Hall is that the gearbox is the same in both which will allow for flat towing in neutral. The manual transmission will still have the usual manual clutch pedal and gearshift while the automatic removes these and replace the gear shift with a drive mode selector and adds electro-mechanical actuators and a computer to control the clutch and gear changes. This is why the automatic is an extra cost option as it does cost extra money to add the actuators and computer to control the transmission.
If so, I'd need to test drive the automatic to make sure it wasn't a dog. But I would really prefer not to go back to a 5-speed at this point in life.

dgruis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is a deal-breaker if the transmission does NOT offer "BOTH" forward and reverse,. Otherwise as long as it is reliable, I don't really give a flyin'-flippity-flip what tranny it uses.

It would be a 'plus', if the wheels to turn to a perpendicular position, so the Elio could move side-to-side. I would pay another $1 for this option; maybe more if it could travel side-ways at highway speeds.

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is my understanding IAV doesn't build anything. They provide the engineering design in this case to foundry to cast the blocks, heads, cam covers etc. The foundry then ships all components to Shreveport for machining and assembly.

In that case, they are an outsourced subassembly contract manufacturer.

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do you know where you heard this information? I have not heard anything about an outside company actually building the engines however what has been discussed is that the castings would be produced by an outside firm as Elio Motors would not set up their own foundry and Comau is providing all the equipment and tooling needed to machine and assemble the engine along with engineers to support the process. From what we have heard all this work would happen in the plant in Shreveport with Elio employees doing most of the work.

Let me restate my quote...
If I understand this now, iAV will not be doing the manufacturing of the engines--some company other than iAV will be producing ~700 engines a day (second year). That other company may well be Elio at Shreveport.

Sorry for the confusion. I was just emphasizing my understanding that iAV will not be the manufacturer.

Top Bottom