• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just can not see what is smart about a smart car.
40 mpg but requires 91 octane fuel that is about 60 to 70 cents a gallon more here
2104 Ford Focus is getting 32-38.5 on 87 octane and it seat 4-5 and rides pretty nice.
The Smart car just does not add up. Now if we could get the diesel version here, that would make a difference.

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is there any info on the automatic transmission?

I test drove a Smart Car a few years ago that has a CVT (continuously variable transmission). The Smart CVT is totally unacceptable because it produces a pronounced 'lurch' when it shifts. I actually felt a bit motion sick from just a short test drive.

Pleeeeeease tell me the Elio will avoid that ?!?!
Glad Ya decided to join the Elio Family Forum, after all this time. WOW, and WELCOME!

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Having owned a Volvo (which is a great car) with a CVT in the late 1980's, CVT's would have to had significant improvements before I would buy any car with a CVT
My Subaru Impreza has a CVT, and while it's not the most exciting thing to drive (not a WRX) I've never had any issues.
It takes some getting used to the complete lack of gears, but it does the trick just fine.
Plus, it's an AWD that gets 36 MPG highway :)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
This came up in another thread I thought it should be mentioned here. While we do not yet have official confirmation as this being the final selection we do know from Elio VP Jerome Vassallo that EM was in talks with Aisin to provide the transmission and he mentioned the new Maruti Suzuki Celerio AMT, sold in India, as having the AMT bolt-on package they were seriously considering.

From internet research it is easy to discover that the Indian Suzuki Celerio has a 1.0L 3-cylinder engine which is actually a descendant of what is sitting in the prototype, and which is also the basis of the IAV/Elio engine, and we know that the AMT package on the transmission is provided by Magneti Marelli. This system is actually Magneti Marelli's fourth generation of AMT and is compact, light, and inexpensive.

http://www.magnetimarelli.com/excellence/technological-excellences/amt

http://www.aventure.ac.in/automated-manual-transmission-eureka-moment-indias-automotive-scene/

This interesting paragraph from the above link also states why Elio Motors would be interested in this technology:
Interestingly, while there are many manufacturers of AMT – like ZF, GETRAG and WAPCO globally, Indian manufacturers unanimously have opted to use the technology from Magneti Marelli (a subsidiary of Fiat group). The reason, as stated by Maruti is that the Magneti Marelli system is an excellent balance between efficiency and cost, a formula that is tailor made for the Indian market.

We will have to see how well this fourth generation AMT works in comparison to older AMT generations. As the article points out tuning the transmission is the key to making these AMT's both smooth and efficient so we will just have to see how Elio Motors and their suppliers do using this technology.

Last edited:

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We will have to see how well this fourth generation AMT works in comparison to older AMT generations. As the article points out tuning the transmission is the key to making these AMT's both smooth and efficient so we will just have to see how Elio Motors and their suppliers do using this technology.
The use of an AMT is the sole reason I'm leaning towards manual until further notice.
Time will tell if their implementation is better than others, but it sounds to me like a typical characteristic of AMT is sloppy transitions at low speeds - and low-speeds is exactly when I would want an automatic most. 80-90% of my driving is at highway speeds with cruise control on, the rest is stop-and-go Baltimore traffic. If the AMT they come up with doesn't perform well in those low-speed scenarios, I'll pass.

Why are they going for an AMT anyway, is it a size thing? A price thing? They're already saying automatic is an option, so auto transmission selection isn't going to impact the base price...

cortsdad2

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Motors spokesman said the cost of the auto tranny will be under $1000.
Surveys indicate that very few will go for the manual. Try selling a car with a
manual transmission - it's mission impossible.
Except that this isn't just a a car... It's legally a motorcycle and as a Harley owner, I know you couldn't sell a motorcycle with an automatic! I'd prefer an Elio with a stick shift and I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only Elio "wanter" that will prefer a manual transmission! A stick shift makes a driver feel more involved with the adventure of driving!

Top Bottom