• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
These savings do apparently come at the expensive of some jerky upshifts, not surprising for an AMT focused on fuel efficiency, however apparently how you drive it does make a difference and there are ways to drive it smoothly which is good to know for anyone wanting or needing the automatic. It sounds like the AMT runs smoothly if you drive it like a manual in terms of easing on the throttle while in traffic and lifting off the throttle to upshift while accelerating. I think many people can adapt to this if it means better fuel efficiency at a lower price.

based on the belief that many will be ordered with the automatic transmission, it shouldn't take long after the test drive phase begins for reports as to smoothness and general operation to surface .... further reports of driver impressions will follow as folks drive their Elios home from the factory .... hopefully the designers and builders have it right

Jim

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This came up in another thread I thought it should be mentioned here. While we do not yet have official confirmation as this being the final selection we do know from Elio VP Jerome Vassallo that EM was in talks with Aisin to provide the transmission and he mentioned the new Maruti Suzuki Celerio AMT, sold in India, as having the AMT bolt-on package they were seriously considering.

From internet research it is easy to discover that the Indian Suzuki Celerio has a 1.0L 3-cylinder engine which is actually a descendant of what is sitting in the prototype, and which is also the basis of the IAV/Elio engine, and we know that the AMT package on the transmission is provided by Magneti Marelli. This system is actually Magneti Marelli's fourth generation of AMT and is compact, light, and inexpensive.

http://www.magnetimarelli.com/excellence/technological-excellences/amt

http://www.aventure.ac.in/automated-manual-transmission-eureka-moment-indias-automotive-scene/

This interesting paragraph from the above link also states why Elio Motors would be interested in this technology:

We will have to see how well this fourth generation AMT works in comparison to older AMT generations. As the article points out tuning the transmission is the key to making these AMT's both smooth and efficient so we will just have to see how Elio Motors and their suppliers do using this technology.
Goofyone, thanks for these great articles. I previously saw the Suzuki article and there is a great video of someone driving it here on the forum. Being a F1 fan I'm familiar with magneti marelli and this would be a great Cvt. The article also stated it costs less than a traditional auto trans which is good news for us too.

trock59

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The use of an AMT is the sole reason I'm leaning towards manual until further notice.
Time will tell if their implementation is better than others, but it sounds to me like a typical characteristic of AMT is sloppy transitions at low speeds - and low-speeds is exactly when I would want an automatic most. 80-90% of my driving is at highway speeds with cruise control on, the rest is stop-and-go Baltimore traffic. If the AMT they come up with doesn't perform well in those low-speed scenarios, I'll pass.

Why are they going for an AMT anyway, is it a size thing? A price thing? They're already saying automatic is an option, so auto transmission selection isn't going to impact the base price...
Nothing beats a stick in a small car- more work but tons more fun. Most people today prefer the automatic these days but a CVT or AMT takes getting used to.

champsman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A vehicle with a fully manual transmission will not roll when left in gear and the clutch petal is released as it has to spin the motor. It appears that AMT transmissions do not have the traditional PARK found in the automatic transmission. I assume the AMT clutches will be disengaged when the Elio is turned off and this would require the parking brake to be used every time. Is this the case or are there other options?

The AMT's made here for big rigs work very well, and you NEVER shut it off in gear, or call a mechanic to fix YOUR mistake as you are told upfront to never do this, but otherwise the work perfect and I would recomend them to any one. also fuel mileage was better than regular transmissions.
When shut off in gear you CANNOT restart it till in neutral.

Top Bottom