• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hell, there isn't enough water in it to get your feet wet.....at least not in Southern New Mexico. Only time it has water is when Elephant Butte Lake releases water for irrigation purposes. I crossed over it today and it was dry as an old bone. The border crossers just walk across a dry riverbed.
Of course, the importer they'd be crossing is the one between ... nope, it isn't the border anywhere in New Mexico. ;) Texas, yes. New Mexico, no.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will probably get a manual transmission. I would prefer a continuous variable transmission (CVT) but an automated manual transmission (AMT) is what is offered. I don't think I would like the sensation of gears changing and I not being the one doing it.

Dexter Henschel

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Have a 2013 Sentra with CVT (constant velocity trans.) and works very well. However would rather have a 5 or 6 speed auto trans in the ELIO. The CVT in a 3 wheeler reminds me of the centrifical clutches in an old Cushman scooter and am past that! As for this donor engine (Metro Geo) and its built in trans----why are they still using this set up? Where is the IAV engine? Why not install one now and see where the mileage estimates will be instead of guessing ? RB
I don't want a CVT, too much like the old, old Buick Dynaflow.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 207

Scott Berridge

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I went Aisin website to get info about various transmissions they have and read about what they appear to be using for the Elio. From the info i got it sure seems to be as close to an automatic without it actually being called automatic. It can make the shifts on its own or you can override and do them yourself. So what is going to be the difference between the "standard" transmission and the "optional automatic?"

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I went Aisin website to get info about various transmissions they have and read about what they appear to be using for the Elio. From the info i got it sure seems to be as close to an automatic without it actually being called automatic. It can make the shifts on its own or you can override and do them yourself. So what is going to be the difference between the "standard" transmission and the "optional automatic?"

A manually operated clutch [your left foot] VS a electronically actuated clutch [servo]. Same basic transaxle in all other respects.

Top Bottom