• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a semi automatic transmission in my Can Am Spyder and it is fun to drive having to up shift and never backing off the gas. Faster than anything I have driven. It is more costly to maintain and can't be push started. The Elio is not a speed demon and for me the manual is the best option.

I want the manual, too.

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Going to suck to save money on gas, just to spend 300 on each oil change at every 3K miles. Will definitely keep my eyes out on this with the first owners to see how there oil/tranny maintenance goes. I'm sure many will chose the "auto" so I'll have a lot of feedback.

John Higgins

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I intend to do my own maintenance but I understand many can't. It will be hard to get under without the proper jack and equipment. I have a Pitt Bull motorcycle jack with a turntable. I will be able to lift it 30" and spin it around. Works great on my Can Am Spyder or I would not be able to service it either.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Going to suck to save money on gas, just to spend 300 on each oil change at every 3K miles. Will definitely keep my eyes out on this with the first owners to see how there oil/tranny maintenance goes. I'm sure many will chose the "auto" so I'll have a lot of feedback.

I don't see the elio requiring any transmission filter every 3k miles.
Remember, the Spyder is a high performance motorcycle with high performance motorcycle parts and high performance motorcycle price.
The Elio is a economy car with economy car parts and economy car price.

3-5 quarts of 5w-20 (or something close) and a filter, that's it.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why in heaven's name would the Elio need a transmission oil and filter change every 3k miles just because the Can Am does? The only thing they have in common is their 3 wheel configuration, which dictates nothing with regard to the Elio's transmission maintenance. The Elio will use an automotive engine with an automotive transmission. Elio Motors would be insane to use a transmission that requires such high maintenance on a $6800 vehicle.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why in heaven's name would the Elio need a transmission oil and filter change every 3k miles just because the Can Am does? The only thing they have in common is their 3 wheel configuration, which dictates nothing with regard to the Elio's transmission maintenance. The Elio will use an automotive engine with an automotive transmission. Elio Motors would be insane to use a transmission that requires such high maintenance on a $6800 vehicle.

Since the BC5 and MC5 are the same units used in the Yaris, take a little time and look them up for transmission fluid changes. It looks like about every 30K to 40k.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since the BC5 and MC5 are the same units used in the Yaris, take a little time and look them up for transmission fluid changes. It looks like about every 30K to 40k.

That's probably for real slush box/cvt autos. Manual transmissions usually require little maintenance. Probably a fluid change at 100-150k miles

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's probably for real slush box/cvt autos. Manual transmissions usually require little maintenance. Probably a fluid change at 100-150k miles

The Pep Boys Automatic Transmission Fluid Exchange includes:

• Quality service by a professional Pep Boys technician
  • Introduction of quality transmission chemical flush designed to circulate through and clean your transmission system
  • Replacement of virtually all existing fluid with new, quality transmission fluid to manufacturers specification
  • Friction modifier (where specified)
  • Up to 12 quarts Dexron Mercon III fluid up to $6.49 per quart
  • Premium fluids (Dexron IV+ / Synthetics) additional
As low as $129.99

champsman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Pep Boys Automatic Transmission Fluid Exchange includes:

• Quality service by a professional Pep Boys technician
  • Introduction of quality transmission chemical flush designed to circulate through and clean your transmission system
  • Replacement of virtually all existing fluid with new, quality transmission fluid to manufacturers specification
  • Friction modifier (where specified)
  • Up to 12 quarts Dexron Mercon III fluid up to $6.49 per quart
  • Premium fluids (Dexron IV+ / Synthetics) additional
As low as $129.99

All this does not apply to the Elio transmissions, both are manual models with one useing electronic shift controls

Top Bottom