• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So I guess we need to know what Pepboys charges for a Manual trans fluid change, so we can compare.:)

So I guess you need to know what Pepboys charges for a Manual trans fluid change....... As compared to what?
Incidentally, in one of the things I read I believe they said 2 pints of W75/90. They mentioned some specific brands which I cant recall for about $25.
You might want to do a google search on "toyota yaris automatic transmission fluid change".
You will even find some Youtube links.

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
2002 Nissan Sentra...
300000.jpg

My wife's car. Bought it used at about 60,000 miles for $5000 in 2005. 90% highway miles. Changed the oil every 7500-8000 miles using Walmart Supertech 10-30. Changed the transmission fluid at around 160,000. It now uses about a quart of oil every 4000 miles. My 2001 only has 220,000 miles on it.. We love our Sentras.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As compared to Post# 642, where Kuda posted The costs of auto trans service at Pepboys :D

Auto trans service is much more expensive than manual trans service.
MC5 and BC5 are both forms of manual.
Check the cost of a fluid change in a Yaris manual transmission for comparison.
Also note... no filter to change.

larryboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't see the elio requiring any transmission filter every 3k miles.
Remember, the Spyder is a high performance motorcycle with high performance motorcycle parts and high performance motorcycle price.
The Elio is a economy car with economy car parts and economy car price.

3-5 quarts of 5w-20 (or something close) and a filter, that's it.

I will bet that the filter will be the most common (cheapest) small filter made so that Paul can save a dime or so on each. I am expecting to spend right around $10 on an oil change. I am sure that the consideration of economy that is the driving force at Elio motors will extend to service costs as well. I have a Dodge truck with the diesel engine. I noticed that the thermostat was sticking and went to the dealership to buy a new one. They wanted $100!
The parts guy saw the look on my face and offered to give me the wholesale price. Only $75! I went to an parts store and got one for $25. In retrospect that was probably too much and I could have found one for less. The last thermostat I bought cost about $3. BTW the way I found out that the thermostat was sticking was by looking at the temp gauge. I don't think an idiot light would have been much help in figuring that out. I will have to figure out a temp gauge and volt meter as add ons.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will bet that the filter will be the most common (cheapest) small filter made so that Paul can save a dime or so on each. I am expecting to spend right around $10 on an oil change. I am sure that the consideration of economy that is the driving force at Elio motors will extend to service costs as well. I have a Dodge truck with the diesel engine. I noticed that the thermostat was sticking and went to the dealership to buy a new one. They wanted $100!
The parts guy saw the look on my face and offered to give me the wholesale price. Only $75! I went to an parts store and got one for $25. In retrospect that was probably too much and I could have found one for less. The last thermostat I bought cost about $3. BTW the way I found out that the thermostat was sticking was by looking at the temp gauge. I don't think an idiot light would have been much help in figuring that out. I will have to figure out a temp gauge and volt meter as add ons.

I'm with you on the need for gauges, larryboy! Probably going for some pillar mounted Auto Meter's or the like. A descent quality HUD that displayed all of the 'vitals' would be even sweeter!

Top Bottom