• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

Scott Berridge

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
This may make a difference in my decision to go for the true automatic transmission.But I guess i will just have to wait until Elio (or an independent source allowed to test drive) puts out some driving impressions. It would be interesting of one of the 25 E vehicles is built with an automatic trans so a true comparison can be made.

CROSSBOLT

Elio Fan
Reaction score
There seems to be both ignorance and contempt (before investigation) of the CVT. It has been mentioned that the CVT is continuously variable and does not shift which is true. It is always in the correct "gear" so there is no hesitation. "Scooter-like" these days will leave you at the light and last to the next light in the 300 cc and larger categories.

Karl

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There seems to be both ignorance and contempt (before investigation) of the CVT. It has been mentioned that the CVT is continuously variable and does not shift which is true. It is always in the correct "gear" so there is no hesitation. "Scooter-like" these days will leave you at the light and last to the next light in the 300 cc and larger categories.

Karl

CVT
It's what my brother has in his Mule.
It's what some of my friends have in their Rangers.
It's what I had in my snowmobile over 30 years ago.
Still don't want anything to do with them.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Karl

I must admit my ignorance about the CVT. Tho, I do understand the "principal" behind it, For the Elio it is really a moot point. There isn't a CVT in (automotive) production that is physically small enough (or lightweight enough) to work with the Elio.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I must admit my ignorance about the CVT. Tho, I do understand the "principal" behind it, For the Elio it is really a moot point. There isn't a CVT in (automotive) production that is physically small enough (or lightweight enough) to work with the Elio.
Agreed. Let's get it straight: Elio has said nothing about using a CVT in the vehicle. In fact, quite the opposite. In both the vehicle specs from the Elio website (http://www.eliomotors.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/ELIO_P5_SPECS.pdf) and the offering circular, the company has been very explicit about the transmission -- it will be either a "5 speed manual or automatic transmission." Since a CVT, by definition, has an infinite number of gear ratios, it cannot be a 5 speed anything, manual or otherwise. Further, while an automated manual transmission has been mentioned on this forum as a possibility, an AMT also is not a CVT. It is a manual transmission that is shifted automatically by the vehicle, thereby rendering as superfluous having a clutch pedal for the driver to use. As such, a 5-speed AMT would meet the "5 speed manual or automatic transmission" requirement.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At last report Elio is using two transmissions.
A manual comes standard.
An automatic is optional at an extra cost, guesstimated at $700 to $1000 extra.
Manual transmission is an Aisin BC5. (what's in the P5)
Automatic transmission is an Aisin MC5.

Last edited:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I want a manual transmission but the wife will need to move the vehicle from time to time and she has no aptitude for shifting .
Automatic will be more diplomatic .

Just a guess, but unless it involves moving it on the LIE or the Belt, she should probably be able to handle it.
But hey! It's your $800 to $1000.

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just a guess, but unless it involves moving it on the LIE or the Belt, she should probably be able to handle it.
But hey! It's your $800 to $1000.

Wow , I like that you know the terrain .....But she won't drive the LIE even in a Hummer . I doubt she will move the Elio off the drive way if she has to shift .

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I want a manual transmission but the wife will need to move the vehicle from time to time and she has no aptitude for shifting .
Automatic will be more diplomatic .

This is my same reason for being interested in the Multi-Mode Manual. If she needs to move it she can just put it into "E", but during normal operation I can still pick and choose my shift points. It'll still be a bit of a learning curve compared to driving an automatic, but I think she'll be able to learn the Electronic shifting without too much hassle. :)

Top Bottom