• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

interloper07

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Elio's at 81.4 mpg and thinking they can get 84. Go for it !

I read that article too. Is 81.4mpg a failure? Is $7300 a failure? I don't think so. This thing will still be a game changer, even with those numbers. This thing needs to happen, and hopefully we'll continue to see forward progress.

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I read that article too. Is 81.4mpg a failure? Is $7300 a failure? I don't think so. This thing will still be a game changer, even with those numbers. This thing needs to happen, and hopefully we'll continue to see forward progress.
I think Paul will meet the goal and beat it!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Imo they shouldn't spend one more minute trying to beat it. Spend that time on getting it to the market....if they really plan on getting it there

just as a pure guess, I doubt that working to raise MPG or lower cost are holding up anything at this point .... while I have no reason to believe that they are happening, funding, motor testing, building prototypes, crash testing, setting up the assembly line, hiring/training workers and so are what seem to be holding up production .... they need to get money coming in so it seems reasonable to me to believe that they will put it into production as quickly as they can and when that happens the MPG and price will be what it will be

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Imo they shouldn't spend one more minute trying to beat it. Spend that time on getting it to the market....if they really plan on getting it there
Then why create goals? Why dream when "close" is good enough. If I decided to become a doctor and someone offered me a position as store manager... Are you saying I should stop school? That is since my basic goal is to make money and some money is good enough?? If I wasn't doing good in school then it may be something to consider before the education loans get too big. This is just an example and there can be many more. Goals are to push yourself and the envelop. How close is good enough? Is Paul Elio's goal just to get a car (autocycle) on the market? I say and think the answer is no. It is to get the Elio out with all the "4 Must-Haves".

I have not seen Paul Elio miss any goal to this point. Just because it isn't in the time frame that we all want doesn't mean that Paul has missed his mark or it will never happen. I think Paul should press forward if he is able, to the full extent until it is clear that he cannot meet a goal based on current technology, cost and finances. This doesn't appear to be the case currently.

Last edited:

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I feel we will know soon how good the engine will be about March of this year after the engine testing is finished. Then we should know the actual MPG. It is exciting to see it all come together. Once all the pieces come together the production efforts will fall in-line quickly. I believe the engine is the final piece. Wahoo!

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
just as a pure guess, I doubt that working to raise MPG or lower cost are holding up anything at this point .... while I have no reason to believe that they are happening, funding, motor testing, building prototypes, crash testing, setting up the assembly line, hiring/training workers and so are what seem to be holding up production .... they need to get money coming in so it seems reasonable to me to believe that they will put it into production as quickly as they can and when that happens the MPG and price will be what it will be

Getting extra mpgs and saving that 500 DOES take time or man power. That also turns into money being spent.

For businesses, saving money usually costs money. Obviously if it costs more to save less then it isnt worth it.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Then why create goals? Why dream when "close" is good enough. If I decided to become a doctor and someone offered me a position as store manager... Are you saying I should stop school? That is since my basic goal is to make money and some money is good enough?? If I wasn't doing good in school then it may be something to consider before the education loans get too big. This is just an example and there can be many more. Goals are to push yourself and the envelop. How close is good enough? Is Paul Elio's goal just to get a car (autocycle) on the market? I say and think the answer is no. It is to get the Elio out with all the "4 Must-Haves".

I have not seen Paul Elio miss any goal to this point. Just because it isn't in the time frame that we all want doesn't mean that Paul has missed his mark or it will never happen. I think Paul should press forward if he is able, to the full extent until it is clear that he cannot meet a goal based on current technology, cost and finances. This doesn't appear to be the case currently.

Very far stretch with the doctor thing and schooling.

NO ONE HITS EVERY GOAL THEY SET! A lot of goals are put in place to make you strive for better even if you cant hit them.

You know whats worse than Elio not hitting the 84mpgs?....not being made at all. You can always get the product out there and upgrade the next model or year.

And Elio's main goal should be to get the car to the market.

And Elio HAS missed goals. Those deadlines were goals...weren't they? They were missed.

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
warm-milk.jpg

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Very far stretch with the doctor thing and schooling.

NO ONE HITS EVERY GOAL THEY SET! A lot of goals are put in place to make you strive for better even if you cant hit them.

You know whats worse than Elio not hitting the 84mpgs?....not being made at all. You can always get the product out there and upgrade the next model or year.

And Elio's main goal should be to get the car to the market.

And Elio HAS missed goals. Those deadlines were goals...weren't they? They were missed.
Funny thing about goals... They can and do change. The date wasn't changed because Paul Elio decided to go a on a trip, hiatus or said he was tired of hearing all the negative rhetoric and character defamation. The date (which was never a goal or a deadline - it was a delivery projection based on what Elio knew at that time) changed to obtain the main goals of the "4 Must Haves". There is no point in producing a "car" that no one wants after release because of issues or things overlooked in the design and development just to get it on the market. At the very least, the poor quality will create a negative perception. And it will be very difficult to overcome this perception with improvements. Without sales there isn't money for MODs or improvements. Would you invest in a company/car that is on the market that is junk with the promise that it will get better if you buy one??

This date slippage is very acceptable because it is for a better purpose, better components, and ultimately a better autocycle/product.

Top Bottom