• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Nate_tx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Well checking in.. Let's see anything new on the Elio Engine? not really - seen it running - love it.
Anything new on the financing front - doesn't look like it.

I am pretty patient but gets too frustrating to check daily. Guess I will come back in 2 weeks and check again ;)

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well checking in.. Let's see anything new on the Elio Engine? not really - seen it running - love it.

I am pretty patient but gets too frustrating to check daily. Guess I will come back in 2 weeks and check again ;)
New,?
- engine nope, financing, got a new Wall Street whatever trying to squeeze some bucks.
to the plus had a good showing at the NY Auto Show, good press, and interest, updated reservation numbers since, have not been put up.
See ya in 2 weeks, seems to me as soon and/or if the money gets here everything is on hold for now.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Seems like a good idea to me. I try not to be too impatient too. BTW something seems to be attacking the top or your head in your avatar. wazupwidat?

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
in post 24 in this thread, WilliamH provided a link that included a Q&A with Paul in which he was directly asked about his decision to build his own motor .... agree or disagree with his line of thinking, he has provided a rational for his decision .... now that the engine exist, time will tell if it will live up to its expectations .... not having all of the engineering data that he has at his disposal and probably not being able to understand it if I did, I'm comfortable with his decision

"Q5
. Why go to the trouble of building your own engine? Why not make a deal with Honda or Suzuki or Polaris to get some Kei car or CARB-approved ATV engines?

The main technical reason for not using an off-the-shelf engine is that the Elio vehicle is much lighter than a standard vehicle. Meaning, the off-the-shelf OEM engine was designed to optimally operate at a different speed and load point than if it were placed into a lighter vehicle. Also, when a large carmaker designs a new engine, it is targeting multiple platforms. That often makes the engine good for all, but best for none. By having IAV design a power plant specifically for our vehicle, we can achieve our goal of 84 mpg. This is going to be a very slick engine."

The new engine was a done deal so there's no need crying over spilled milk! The biggest issue now is funding. So let's just say for a moment that if PE is to be believed and that he have every intention of bringing the ELIO to fruition, then I'm thinking why look some place else, why not let the 40,000 reservationists pay for their ELIO in full and in advance? Correct me if I'm wrong but if at least half or 20,000 of them multiplied by say a round figure,$10,000 (this is what I was thinking what I will pay if I have the auto trans, taxes, licenses and all fees plus a few options added) that would bring in $200 million- good enough to start production! Question is, can we trust our instinct and our money to EM that they can deliver our ELIO? Or worse scenario, he might come up short and announce that he needs $500 mil. because he under estimated the cost of inflation! This is purely based on my opinion only so go ahead and fire away with your own!;)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The new engine was a done deal so there's no need crying over spilled milk! The biggest issue now is funding. So let's just say for a moment that if PE is to be believed and that he have every intention of bringing the ELIO to fruition, then I'm thinking why look some place else, why not let the 40,000 reservationists pay for their ELIO in full and in advance? Correct me if I'm wrong but if at least half or 20,000 of them multiplied by say a round figure,$10,000 (this is what I was thinking what I will pay if I have the auto trans, taxes, licenses and all fees plus a few options added) that would bring in $200 million- good enough to start production! Question is, can we trust our instinct and our money to EM that they can deliver our ELIO? Or worse scenario, he might come up short and announce that he needs $500 mil. because he under estimated the cost of inflation! This is purely based on my opinion only so go ahead and fire away with your own!;)

all I have to go on is the info released by EM, most specifically from Paul .... funding issues were addressed in the same link given in post 1658 .... I highlighted/underlined the first line of his response to Q4 .... time will tell and until something comes along to prove otherwise, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt :

Q2. The latest news out of Shreveport seems to indicate that Elio Motors still needs to raise between $145 and $200 million. Is that accurate and, if so, how do you plan to raise the rest of the money you need?

That is the right range. We are completing a $30 million round, which will be sufficient for us to complete product testing. The remainder will be raised once product testing is complete. We are working on several independent, promising solutions, but for obvious reasons, we cannot be more specific.

Q4. Assuming you’re not able to raise the startup money, what happens to the deposits you’ve collected so far? What systems and safeguards are in place to ensure that your depositors get their money back?

First, we feel confident that the investments required to get us to production will be secured.

When we established the reservation business model, we wanted to make sure we did the right thing for everyone involved. A few years ago, we read an article in The Wall Street Journal that talked about the fact that other start-ups took refundable reservations and then spent the money in their business. It turns out that practice is legal, but the article questioned whether it was “right.” We feel strongly that it is not. That is why we created two programs: refundable and non-refundable. If someone makes a refundable reservation with us, the money is segregated and he or she can get it back any time. We use the non-refundable reservations very much like companies found on Kick Starter and other crowdfunding sites. As the name implies, these reservations are non-refundable.

Top Bottom