• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Ever Falling Hp Of The Elio.... :(

How slow are you willing to go 0-60 mph?

• the faster the better!

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • under 8.0 sec

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • under 9.0 sec

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • under 10.0 sec (original Elio claim)

Votes: 89 58.9%
  • As slow as necessary to ensure 84 mgp hwy

Votes: 26 17.2%

• Total voters

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Once you run out of rpm the vehicle"s ecu is set for your speed will end. It all about gearing. My G1 has the gear ratios so that it will go just as fast in 3, 4, or 5th...based on the "redline" of the engine. Basically it is OD in 4th and 5th.
A close ratio 4 speed with a 5th overdrive is desirable for excellent mpg, once cruising.

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Top speed and 0 to 60 are very different things. One measures how fast a vehicle is and the other how quick. Same thing you say, well not so fast now . No they are not. A time slip from a drag strip will have both. Top speed through the speed trap near the end of the run. And elapsed time (ET) how quickly you got there. Things like needing to shift just before 60 slow things down for that number but that is fairly moot for the car we are all waiting for.

Bamdalam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Under 9 sec for our ELIO is possible with it's 5 speed manual. Half a car, half the weight, UNDERweight driver, on a relatively calm, zero wind weather, use of premium unleaded, I'll make it to 9 under!:flame::D
You mentioned premium fuel. From what I understand, a higher octane rating has more resistance to combustion from compression than the lower octane ratings, and not much difference in the fuels besides that. Most high performance vehicles need that since most have high compression engines. Do you think premium pump fuel boosts performance? I've always thought it wouldn't. Just something needed for higher compression engines to keep the gas from igniting before the spark plug fires.:confused:

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You mentioned premium fuel. From what I understand, a higher octane rating has more resistance to combustion from compression than the lower octane ratings, and not much difference in the fuels besides that. Most high performance vehicles need that since most have high compression engines. Do you think premium pump fuel boosts performance? I've always thought it wouldn't. Just something needed for higher compression engines to keep the gas from igniting before the spark plug fires.:confused:
You're most probably right! I've always used 87 octane on my 4 cyl. because it's cheaper and my car does not required premium but on occasion when gas is cheap, I load up on premium and I do notice better acceleration!

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, if you drive off a cliff then how much you press the pedal down shouldn't matter anymore. You will either accellerate until you begin aerobraking at terminal velocity, or else you will begin lithobraking.
You will definitely reach terminal velocity and PUFF.....you enter another time! Without the use of capacitor of course! That's why I always wanted to own a Delorean!:D

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You're most probably right! I've always used 87 octane on my 4 cyl. because it's cheaper and my car does not required premium but on occasion when gas is cheap, I load up on premium and I do notice better acceleration!

If your car is not designed for 87 octane and you have not messed with the tuning/programming or raised the compression, a higher octane gas would only help if you are currently having problems with pinging or pre-detonation and your car is pulling back the timing. In this case, a higher octane gas might make a difference. But for a healthy motor designed for regular grade gas, premium would only have a placebo effect.

How many miles do you have on your car?

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If your car is not designed for 87 octane and you have not messed with the tuning/programming or raised the compression, a higher octane gas would only help if you are currently having problems with pinging or pre-detonation and your car is pulling back the timing. In this case, a higher octane gas might make a difference. But for a healthy motor designed for regular grade gas, premium would only have a placebo effect.

How many miles do you have on your car?
254,000+ miles on my 1999 Toyota Corolla. Never seen the dealer since I bought it because I do all the maintenance and it's got stick shift! Only major worked done on it was a replacement of clutch disc. Only power I have is windows. But my 1.8 engine still go way over 100+ miles easy when I want to on a long strip of freeway w/ and will do better than 9sec to 60 faster than I can shift the stick!:D

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
254,000+ miles on my 1999 Toyota Corolla. Never seen the dealer since I bought it because I do all the maintenance and it's got stick shift! Only major worked done on it was a replacement of clutch disc. Only power I have is windows. But my 1.8 engine still go way over 100+ miles easy when I want to on a long strip of freeway w/ and will do better than 9sec to 60 faster than I can shift the stick!:D

My dad got his 1987 (I think) Corolla to over 400,000 miles(!) before he sold it. The reason he sold it? Something wrong with 3rd gear. I was young at the time, so I don't quite remember the complete issue, but I think he could skip 3rd and it drove fine.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Fantastic! Then yes, you probably have some hot spots from carbon in your cylinders that cause pinging so your ECU retards the timing. The higher octane gas does not spontaneously ignite as easily and can tolerate those hot spots. That would explain you actually getting more power from premium and probably a little better gas mileage too!

My dad got his 1987 (I think) Corolla to over 400,000 miles(!) before he sold it. The reason he sold it? Something wrong with 3rd gear. I was young at the time, so I don't quite remember the complete issue, but I think he could skip 3rd and it drove fine.

That is some excellent longevity. Probably a synchro issue on 3rd? I remember my first car, a 1987 Ford Rustang with the wimpy 2.3L motor had an issue going into 2nd and 4th by the time I sold her.

Top Bottom