• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The "let's Argue Over Colors And What Elio 'said'" Thread

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
This is 5, maybe 6 years old, but gives us an idea of vehicle color and what % of cars sold are what color:

http://www.livescience.com/32718-whats-the-most-popular-car-color.html

Then it makes me wonder... is it so much that white, black and silver are the most popular, or that those are the colors that car makers make the most of, perhaps the least expensive paint colors? Which is the chicken and which is the egg?

Interesting: more than half of cars sold are white, black, silver or gray. We Americans are boh-ring on our car colors. Also interesting that yellow is lumped in with gold to come in 9th place at 2.3%, just ahead of "all other colors". :) Take that you yellow-mongers! (j/k)

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That was not actually a color selection process but a game to pass the time. The seven colors had already been chosen and EM added yellow back in for that game as they needed 8 colors to make an even number.

Yellow is out as overall very few yellow cars are sold and among the group of less popular colors it is the most expensive so it loses out.
Thanks for the clarification.

Mrtoycrazy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is 5, maybe 6 years old, but gives us an idea of vehicle color and what % of cars sold are what color:

http://www.livescience.com/32718-whats-the-most-popular-car-color.html

Then it makes me wonder... is it so much that white, black and silver are the most popular, or that those are the colors that car makers make the most of, perhaps the least expensive paint colors? Which is the chicken and which is the egg?

Interesting: more than half of cars sold are white, black, silver or gray. We Americans are boh-ring on our car colors. Also interesting that yellow is lumped in with gold to come in 9th place at 2.3%, just ahead of "all other colors". :) Take that you yellow-mongers! (j/k)
I think it also depends on what vehicle you look at as to most popular color.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
From the linked site
Although there are some variations across countries regarding which colors are the most popular, most countries seem to agree on what car colors they don't like. Worldwide, colors such as green, purple, pink and orange made up only a combined total of 14 percent of automotive market sales.

The more popular the color, the more likely a car is to be stolen, the Netherlands study also found. Researchers determined that thieves are almost 40 percent less likely to steal an unusually-colored vehicle, such as a lime-green BMW, because of its lower resale value. For example, none of the pink cars used in the study were stolen.

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I go through this dance with every car I buy . From experience , I always seem to select a color that I was not originally set on . When I first saw the palette, I thought Silver for sure . Now , I am thinking black or maybe blue . White is also top of mind as I think the contrast of the black fenders looks good . Sigh ......

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I go through this dance with every car I buy . From experience , I always seem to select a color that I was not originally set on . When I first saw the palette, I thought Silver for sure . Now , I am thinking black or maybe blue . White is also top of mind as I think the contrast of the black fenders looks good . Sigh ......
4072-65cff29550c86e9e387190994bb5012e.jpg I choose True Blue however I may change to Rocket Silver. My wife car is Chev Silver and my Suzuki motorcycle is Silver. o_O

Attachments

• dupont-car-colors-100714.jpg
    dupont-car-colors-100714.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,721

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've always bought used cars so I've never had a say in the color, aside from after a fender-bender in the Beetle and having the whole thing repainted instead of trying to patch 30 year old paint. But my favorite color is orange, so I'm definitely going with creamscile, just like I had the Beetle repainted orange!

That said, if anyone things that having a brightly colored paint job on your car makes you more visible in traffic, that really wasn't my experience with that Bug. :/

BearLakeSteve

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Personally, I am loving Jay3wheel's tight black, grey and red color scheme. Wondering if you found or created your avatar pic. I also love Palladin's blue and white color scheme. Would probably spring a few hundred extra for that one since I am a Principal of a school with blue and white mascot colors.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Personally, I am loving Jay3wheel's tight black, grey and red color scheme. Wondering if you found or created your avatar pic. I also love Palladin's blue and white color scheme. Would probably spring a few hundred extra for that one since I am a Principal of a school with blue and white mascot colors.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Top Bottom