• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The "let's Argue Over Colors And What Elio 'said'" Thread

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I understand colors can look very different in person but I will bet that it will not look as nice as the p3 silver.

I've never seen the P3 and do understand your concern .... a short time ago, the info was released that the Creamsicle production units will not look as shiny (read that as nice/pretty) as the P4 that has been touring the country in their marketing tour .... I understand that the P4 is a demonstration vehicle and it was built for show so as to attract customers .... hopefully when they get around to actually picking the paints to be used (I have no clue why something like that is taking so long) folks should be better able to make a color selection

Jim

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
(Snipped) .... hopefully when they get around to actually picking the paints to be used (I have no clue why something like that is taking so long) folks should be better able to make a color selection

Jim

Jim, The truth is not that EM has not made paint selections it is that they have not finalized the paint selections.

One important thing I have learned from chatting with Jerome at various events is that like any well run project EM actually does have a complete timeline and a very good idea of what exactly will go into this vehicle however most of the information is written in pencil, as this is an ongoing project, and will stay that way until EM locks everything down ahead of production. They do not generally share the information that is penciled in because the general public suffers from herd mentality issues and is not understanding when things change which is to be expected from a project of this magnitude.

From my understanding the engineers and designers working with EM pretty much know exactly what they are planning to do and what parts they are planning to use for every aspect of this vehicle however until EM is ready to enter production and these parts contracts are locked down EM does encounter issues with parts availability, price changes, and they will find more issues when they undergo physical testing. All of this can and does have a ripple effect where the need to change one part can lead having to change other parts and/or upset cost goals which may need to be balanced out by even further changes to the plan as this is all a fluid and everything is interconnected.

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Jim, The truth is not that EM has not made paint selections it is that they have not finalized the paint selections.

that is interesting .... their website, all the literature I've seen, Facebook replies, and pictures posted on the tour display indicate that the 7 colors (not the specific paint) have been locked in .... I have seen where they may offer special runs of a color somewhere down the line

Jim

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
that is interesting .... their website, all the literature I've seen, Facebook replies, and pictures posted on the tour display indicate that the 7 colors (not the specific paint) have been locked in .... I have seen where they may offer special runs of a color somewhere down the line

Jim

That is a true statement, the 7 colors are locked in and not the specific paint.

That does not however mean that the designers haven't already selected paint based on the paint budget they expect to have. Knowing what paint(s) are penciled into the plan is of course how they already know the final Creamsicle paint will not look as shiny as on the P4. :)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That is a true statement, the 7 colors are locked in and not the specific paint.

That does not however mean that the designers haven't already selected paint based on the paint budget they expect to have. Knowing what paint(s) are penciled into the plan is of course how they already know the final Creamsicle paint will not look as shiny as on the P4. :)

OK, my point being, if they know the exact color why do they continue to publish pictures not Photoshopped accordingly .... we see post after post from folks who want Black asking if it is a gloss black or mat black .... the same is true for folks concerned about the tints of the blue and red .... we based our choice on the color of the P4 but uncertainty is setting in

Jim

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, my point being, if they know the exact color why do they continue to publish pictures not Photoshopped accordingly .... we see post after post from folks who want Black asking if it is a gloss black or mat black .... the same is true for folks concerned about the tints of the blue and red .... we based our choice on the color of the P4 but uncertainty is setting in

Jim
But are you basing whether you're going to purchase an Elio on the colors offered?
Sure, it'd be nice to see the actual colors offered, but right now, we've got a decent idea of what they will be like, and we have a lot of time left to make the final decision about the color of our own vehicle.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
But are you basing whether you're going to purchase an Elio on the colors offered?
Sure, it'd be nice to see the actual colors offered, but right now, we've got a decent idea of what they will be like, and we have a lot of time left to make the final decision about the color of our own vehicle.

negative .... I'm not basing the purchase on color, just trying what color to purchase .... we really like the looks of the P4 but they are saying the production Creamsicle color won't be the same

Jim

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
negative .... I'm not basing the purchase on color, just trying what color to purchase .... we really like the looks of the P4 but they are saying the production Creamsicle color won't be the same

Jim
As a person who has worked with color a lot, albeit in an unrelated field, I might be able to shed a little light on this subject. It is safe to say the colors have been selected but the exact hue and tone have not. Also I believe the P4 is routinely cleaned with a special finish to keep its shiny appearance. Considering what it has gone through since its release last January I can honestly say I am impressed with whatever it is they use. EM cannot lock in the exact "dye lot" at this time because they have nothing to apply it to. My guess is once production is close they will be able to say to the manufacturer this is what we want; can you provide it in the quantities and at the price we need. Since that point is a good 9 months away, it is way too early to be worrying about what really is the small stuff.

When I read questions about whether the silver will be metallic I wonder if the price of paint has changed dramatically enough in my lifetime to make that a reasonable question. In the past, metallic paints were very expensive so unless this has changed, the silver is going to be silver, not gray, but it is not going to be metallic. I also suspect the other colors are going to be at levels of glossiness currently in vogue. Of course this is strictly speculation but it makes sense to me. I have seen the rare flat black vehicle and thought it very ugly. Most cars and trucks are what I would call a cross between gloss and semi-gloss. Then are those that have a high gloss and others the flat or matte.

Of course since I am totally biased and not the least bit humble about my opinions, I totally trust EM to know what they are doing. :-) Z

Top Bottom