• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The "let's Argue Over Colors And What Elio 'said'" Thread

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The P3 is silver and the stated color is silver so I would expect it to be along those lines however as far as I know the final colors will not be the exact colors we see in the prototypes but close to them. The biggest issue is that the current prototypes do not even use the same body material as the final vehicle as the prototypes use traditional fiberglass body panels instead of the fiber reinforced SMC composite panels the production vehicles will use.
I stand corrected on my statement " The only 2 colors we're sure of is the P-3 Rocket Silver and P-4 Creamcicle." :rolleyes: However I would still want to see the "real colors" prior to confirming our Elios color choice.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I stand corrected on my statement " The only 2 colors we're sure of is the P-3 Rocket Silver and P-4 Creamcicle." :rolleyes: However I would still want to see the "real colors" prior to confirming our Elios color choice.

I agree and believe most of us would like to see that. :)

Displaying colors accurately online is not really possible as there is a lot of variation in the colors shown on computer monitors. The easiest way to do it would be to send us all some paint samples. I am not sure how much that would cost them however I would even be willing to pay a reasonable amount for the samples. These samples would also end up being a pretty interesting item to keep as being part of this unique process. :cool:

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Displaying colors accurately online is not really possible as there is a lot of variation in the colors shown on computer monitors. The easiest way to do it would be to send us all some paint samples. I am not sure how much that would cost them however I would even be willing to pay a reasonable amount for the samples. These samples would also end up being a pretty interesting item to keep as being part of this unique process. :cool:
I am hoping that when they do the 'ride-and-drive events, they will have good samples there. But you're right, not everyone may be able to get to one of these events, so something may be needed. Although, two thoughts:
  1. If you've got money down, chances are you're going to go to a ride and drive event to actually test drive the vehicle.
  2. These colors are so wildly different, it's not like you would see a slight hue variation in the green and say "you know what? That's a little too green for me. I'll take orange." At least I wouldn't. If I like green, I'll get green. The actual tint probably won't sway me one way or the other. Though I see that more with the Blue, Green, Orange, and Red. Not so much with the White, Black, and Silver. Changes in tint there could make a difference
Oh, I don't know! o_O
I should probably think things through before I start typing.:rolleyes:

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I will venture a guess: Having the samples made, gathered, packaged & shipped (x 35,000) would cost in excess of $100,000...not counting time and labor.

A more efficient way would be to post a list of paint codes that we could go to an automotive paint supplier and ask to see. These (ten) color chips would not be compiled together on one page. Each "code" would have to be "looked up" one at a time.The problem with this method is, most people can not look at that (1/4" tall by 1/2" long) paint chip, and visualize what it will look like...on the vehicle. And, for many of us, the "40,000 other colors" in the book will just add to our indecision.

Arilea said it very well...
...."I have that same issue with the blue. Id like to consider blue but the blue I see online just sucks. But in person, on a real car may be a totally different experience. The silver is on the P3 and the P4, white and black all seem rather predictable and relative to the online images, but everything else could be very different. It will be a last minute decision for me, and hopefully I'll see some images from existing product before that.
I know very well that the color, tone and contrast changes the perceived persona of a car in very dramatic ways." (end quote)

I am content to let the experts ay EM make the color choices. I am sure that I won't "absolutely love" all of their choices, but I will still have trouble choosing from the 2 or 3 that I do like. :)

BADBOY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As stated in some other posts I am concerned about the gloss or brightness of the black and here is reply from EM and it is about a specific as you fill in the blank:

"Thanks for reaching out.
Our colors will not be as flat as they appear on our website, nor will they be as shiny as the P4. We will make the colors as beautiful as possible with our price point in mind.
Thanks again!"
Best,
The Elio Team

My problem is the black on website looks faded compared to others so I guess it will be better when produced?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Our colors will not be as flat as they appear on our website, nor will they be as shiny as the P4.

WOW .... talk about throwing a clod in the churn ..:confused:.. that's got to come as shock to folks who picked Creamsicle for the color of their Elio because of seeing the P4

Jim

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As stated in some other posts I am concerned about the gloss or brightness of the black and here is reply from EM and it is about a specific as you fill in the blank:

"Thanks for reaching out.
Our colors will not be as flat as they appear on our website, nor will they be as shiny as the P4. We will make the colors as beautiful as possible with our price point in mind.
Thanks again!"
Best,
The Elio Team

My problem is the black on website looks faded compared to others so I guess it will be better when produced?

That's interesting....."nor will they be as shiny as the P4.".....This makes me think that they will (might) be using "single-stage paint" instead of a two-stage "base coat / clear coat" system. That could certainly cut production costs as it would eliminate (at least) one step in the paint process.

This type of paint will still shine good if you keep it waxed. :cool:

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
That's interesting....."nor will they be as shiny as the P4.".....This makes me think that they will (might) be using "single-stage paint" instead of a two-stage "base coat / clear coat" system. That could certainly cut production costs as it would eliminate (at least) one step in the paint process.

This type of paint will still shine good if you keep it waxed. :cool:

I actually asked Jerome about this when we were discussing the 7 colors/7 paint booths and he said it would be a standard primer, color, and clear all applied 'dry' and baked on.

MASCMAN

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I think my point was missed about the p3...I know it is silver and looks good. It looks more like a brilliant silver code. If anyone saw it in person...was it metallic?

I am stating that the so called rocket silver actually looks grey on the site...I understand colors can look very different in person but I will bet that it will not look as nice as the p3 silver.

Top Bottom