• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The P5: What Would You Change?

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nothing against the Elgin, but I would like some functional gauges instead of idiot lights. If something is going 'south', I want a little heads up before it gets to the border. Might have to fab some pillar gauges to satisfy my OCD about what's going on under the hood.

I also have OCD about what's going on under the hood.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There must be a huge stockpile of these Elgin clusters some place.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe the manufacturer was having trouble selling them and gave EM a "deal". Also, it may be that the labor cost to install them is low. At the EM assembly plant it might be that they will just have to stick one part (the Elgin) in the dash and connect a wire or two. With a conventional dash there are a lot more parts and time involved.

DanS

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. Maybe the manufacturer was having trouble selling them and gave EM a "deal". Also, it may be that the labor cost to install them is low. At the EM assembly plant it might be that they will just have to stick one part (the Elgin) in the dash and connect a wire or two. With a conventional dash there are a lot more parts and time involved.
I think if EM was concerned about people voiding the warranty they should offer an upgrade dash option. There are plenty of people that are not happy with it.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
sadly, that doesn't appear to be the case .... Paul has dug in his heels on this one ..... they believe (with reasonable certainty) that for those who don't like it, the Elgin will not be deal breaker and cost them sales ..... in my case, they would be correct

(tries to NOT foam at the mouth)

If options include Ground Effects and chrome gas door, then WHY THE F-.... *deep breath*
Why.....*exhales*... can't there be a classic, analog with red needles instrument cluster?

Some of us don't see numbers on the cluster on long distance driving, we see needle position.
(If the pretty little needle is pointing at the 1 or 2 o'clock position, I'm not speeding)
The peripheral vision lets me watch the road better.

Continuing with the rant:
Some sport planes have no instrument cluster, there is just a space for an iPad to clip in and it serves as instrument cluster and navigation panel. I would be willing to try that too.

(I mean Chrome Exhaust caps?!?!)
*grumbles incoherently*

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
sadly, that doesn't appear to be the case .... Paul has dug in his heels on this one ..... they believe (with reasonable certainty) that for those who don't like it, the Elgin will not be deal breaker and cost them sales ..... in my case, they would be correct
I could even live with the blankey-blank "instruments" but the bezel is beyond disgusting. Coss or somebody, help us out with bruled walnut bezels or something.

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am not sure which issue Elio addicts are more annoyed by .....

Elgin Dash or lack of Yellow ..... Without starting a poll , I am going to guess the Elgin dash is responsible for raising more neck hair .

Reactions: Ekh
Top Bottom