• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is a small world and frankly there are not many choices out there. :) Z
I suppose not. While I was looking, I found a cute camper style that was a teardrop shape and opened from the rear - basically a large clam shell that had soft sides but it would only fit 5'10" person. I'm 6'3" and am not willing to make the necessary surgical change to make me under that height! LOL

Brian1362

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I doubt this will lighten the mood on the trailer or tow hitch debate but I thought this photo was kind of funny. "But I heard someone say Elio SAID I could tow a trailer"!!!!

View attachment 636
This is probably PRECISELY the type of "towing" Elio wants to avoid. considering the day I have had, it made me snicker, so THANKS!!

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My bad, honestly. I didn't realize you meant something like a teardrop or other trailer.
As i mentioned , I did not mean to sound rude.. I did not know there was any road worthy trailer of any type weighing less than 200 or 300 lb..Installing a car topper on it is a great idea..I did notice the one open road outfitters is offering , low weight but geez the price.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The Open road outfitters trailer is beautiful but I can't really justify the cost when I can build or buy a very lightweight trailer with a cargo topper on it for a fraction of the price. The little trailers will create aerodynamic drag which combined with the extra weight will hurt fuel economy however if I can cruise down the interstate and still get 50+ MPG it will be worth it.

Brian1362

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As i mentioned , I did not mean to sound rude.. I did not know there was any road worthy trailer of any type weighing less than 200 or 300 lb..Installing a car topper on it is a great idea..I did notice the one open road outfitters is offering , low weight but geez the price.
Not your fault, I misinterpreted your statement. Been one of those days.

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Open road outfitters trailer is beautiful but I can't really justify the cost when I can build or buy a very lightweight trailer with a cargo topper on it for a fraction of the price. The little trailers will create aerodynamic drag which combined with the extra weight will hurt fuel economy however if I can cruise down the interstate and still get 50+ MPG it will be worth it.
As I've stated before I'd rather get 60 mpg with one geared with ratios giving it some punch.. Hopefully 1 thru 4 will have balls and 5th will be the only whimpy one.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I love this. This information is so real!!! "Someone who was 'apparently' on a conference call with Paul." Yes, that is so reliable!! Name the person!
It Was Michael in an earlier post. Pay attention and you wouldn't have to make these posts that come across as fairly nasty. When I questioned the OP's statment Goofyone immediately stepped up to vouch for the fact that he did indeed participate in this call and vouched for his reliability.

Others elsewhere that were in on the call have backed up what the OP said.

I've argued more than once that EM should do away with this second hand news network but until they do this is what we have to deal with.

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I spoke with Neal, one of the Elio guys today in Nashville, about the hitch option. He said that when the final prototype comes out, Elio motors will evaluate how a trailer actually will effect the car and make a decision on what direction to go based on results of those tests. And yes, we will be able to flat tow the Elio behind another vehicle. So this is from a guy who knows the guy, best I have right now.

Top Bottom