• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

Stugotz

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
the Elio is being designed and built for high mileage .... my hunch is that its mileage will be cut by more than 50%, by pulling even a lightweight, aerodynamic trailer .... in addition, I suspect a tranny cooler will be needed and possibly an upgrade for the engine cooling system

Jim

I think the Elio can handle it,
[Broken External Image]
This one weighs in at 50lbs.
[Broken External Image]
http://mono-trail.com/trailers/tourmax/tourmax-single-wheel-motorcycle-trailer.html#.VAfRebkg_rc

The mono trail for example weighs about 75lbs with a 110lb capacity. Very low rolling resistance on one wheel. If a scooter can tow one I dont think it will be much of a problem for the Elio. There is a thread on the Insight forum where a member made his own hitch and tows a small 2 wheel trailer about 250lbs with no issue and hardly noticeable effect on car.

campi_trailer_3_448.jpg

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Aerodynamics can be strange. I once had a minivan that got better mileage pulling a small utility trailer than it did without. Back in the sixties we discovered an airscoop on the hood gave the best performance increase if you installed it backwards. Bottom line is you really don't know how much your mileage will suffer until you try it. I seriously doubt 50% unless you're towing an Airstream.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I love the single wheel motorcycle trailers and other extra lightweight alternatives however those are way too much money for my expected trailer use. My plan is to instead buy or build something similar to this for the extra cargo capacity I need for weekend camping expeditions and extended trips when traveling with two people on board.
Elio Trailer.jpg

This one is available from harbor freight for about $370 and weighs about 145 lbs empty.
http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-78-inch-tag-along-trailer-66771.html

I know that between the extra weight and added aerodynamic drag pulling this type of trailer would hurt my fuel efficiency however I seriously doubt I would lose more than 25%. Even if my highway number was lowered to 'only' 60 MPG it would still be worth it as that is much better than anything else available while carrying the same load.

Last edited:

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I love the single wheel motorcycle trailers and other extra lightweight alternatives however those are way too much money for my expected trailer use. My plan is to instead buy or build something similar to this for the extra cargo capacity I need for weekend camping expeditions and extended trips when traveling with two people on board.
View attachment 2452
This one is available from harbor freight for about $370 and weighs about 145 lbs empty.
http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-78-inch-tag-along-trailer-66771.html

I know that between the extra weight and added aerodynamic drag pulling this type of trailer would hurt my fuel efficiency however I seriously doubt I would lose more than 25%. Even if my highway number was lowered to 'only' 60 MPG it would still be worth it as that is much better than anything else available while carrying the same load.

Wow. So two wheels in the front 60 some inches apart. One wheel in the back, centered on the car. And now two more wheels, maybe three feet apart on the trailer. Can you imagine trying to dodge something in the road with all of that? Like playing twister!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow. So two wheels in the front 60 some inches apart. One wheel in the back, centered on the car. And now two more wheels, maybe three feet apart on the trailer. Can you imagine trying to dodge something in the road with all of that? Like playing twister!

Trying to dodge anything while towing a trailer is always a tricky proposition!

My crew-cab pickup or full size van pulling a 15' or 20' trailer do not react well to sudden movements either. This is one major reason why I recommend keeping the loaded trailer weight down to a reasonable level of 250-300 lbs maximum.

Last edited:

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Trying to dodge anything while towing a trailer is always a tricky proposition!

My crew-cab pickup or full size van pulling a 15' or 20' trailer do not react well to sudden movements either. This is one major reason why I recommenced keeping the loaded trailer weight down to a reasonable level of 250-300 lbs maximum.

Well at least in your truck/van and trailer combo, you still have the center to straddle whatever is in the road. This set-up is like a wall of wheels!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think the Elio can handle it,

I'm in no way trying to say an Elio can't tow such a trailer .... after 10+ years of working in RV sales I've seen way too many folks towing with vehicles that aren't designed for that purpose .... in all cases there is a mechanical price to pay for doing so .... that is not to say instant failure or destruction .... our 2011 Chevy has a trailer tow rating of 9,700 pounds but its gearing is designed for mileage .... running solo on an interstate she consistently delivers 20+ mpg ....with the 10' trailer hauling a GEM car that drops to 11 - 12 mpg on interstates , trailer only 12-13 mpg on interstate highways .... with our daughter's camper 9-10 mpg

leaving.jpg
131213 Farm Country CG 005.jpg

if/when we get an Elio we will most likely tow some type of small trailer for weekend or longer outings .... I really like the single wheel examples given .... until we get folks out there towing and report back the results we won't know how they perform

Jim

Last edited:

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 2452

My plan is similar, only using a cargo box like this:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sportrack-Auto-Rooftop-Cargo-Boxes-Your-Choice/22218859

At 76" long by 23.8" wide by 14" high and adding 16 cubic feet of storage. I plan to fab a single wheel trailer to mount it on. I think I can make it for under $500 in materials. With the narrow width and a "short tongue" It could be "tucked in" real close in the "slip stream." Estimated trailer weight of 100lbs and cargo weight of 200lbs, the tongue weight could be under 150lbs (loaded properly) with the heavy stuff to the rear.

That is the Idea. But as Jebar said,..."until we get folks out there towing and report back the results we won't know how they perform." :)

Top Bottom