• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not officially at least. I am sure they will be available via the aftermarket just like motorcycle hitches which are also not officially supported.
If Paul has said the vehicle will be unstable the can not be any factory support for such a product for liability reasons.

In fact since the top dog just declared it unsafe do you really think anyone will be stupid enough to market one?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
If Paul has said the vehicle will be unstable the can not be any factory support for such a product for liability reasons.

In fact since the top dog just declared it unsafe do you really think anyone will be stupid enough to market one?

Most motorcycle hitches come with big disclaimers that they are to be used at your own risk and could void your warranty yet they are routinely installed and used by many. Just because a manufacturer does not want to take the liability risk does not mean you can't assume the risk yourself as the vehicle owner.

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I don't care about towing something as much as I want a front tow bar to dingy(flat ) tow it behind my Jeep.. He could have a valid point about towing something behind it however a small receiver for a bike rack or little luggage rack shouldn't hurt..Where did you hear or read about the no hitch news?

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Most motorcycle hitches come with big disclaimers that they are to be used at your own risk and could void your warranty yet they are routinely installed and used by many. Just because a manufacturer does not want to take the risk does not mean you can't assume the risk yourself as the vehicle owner.
And just because they say that doesn't relieve them of responsibility in civil court. As far as I know current motorcycles do not recommend towing on the basis of mechanical reliability and wear and tear on the machine.

There's a huge difference between that and when you're CEO, head designer, chief cook and bottle washer has declared the vehicle unstable when used for towing. Now you're not only saying there is personal risk you're saying there's risk to everyone on the road around you.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't care about towing something as much as I want a front tow bar to dingy(flat ) tow it behind my Jeep.. He could have a valid point about towing something behind it however a small receiver for a bike rack or little luggage rack shouldn't hurt..Where did you hear or read about the no hitch news?
One of the other threads someone who was apparently on a conference call with Paul says it was put out that the programing in the electronic stability control won't allow for it.

PS it was the bike rack thread

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
And just because they say that doesn't relieve them of responsibility in civil court. As far as I know current motorcycles do not recommend towing on the basis of mechanical reliability and wear and tear on the machine.

There's a huge difference between that and when you're CEO, head designer, chief cook and bottle washer has declared the vehicle unstable when used for towing. Now you're not only saying there is personal risk you're saying there's risk to everyone on the road around you.

Paul Elio never said it would be unstable. He only stated that Elio Motors would not offer a hitch because they did not want to spend the money and time to program the stability control system to guarantee it works optimally while towing.

If you wish as an owner you could still tow anyway with the system on and take their chances that it or just disable it while you are towing.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What! No hitch for a bike rack, cargo platform, or trailer option. Disappointing to think the Elio is engineered to have less towing capacity and stability than a CanAm Spyder or most other Trikes that typically pull motorcycle trailers.

The excuse of not taking the necessary time to program the the stability control system lessens the functional value of the Elio and puts lives in danger of those that will tow anyway. Makes no sense. The hitch would have been my first purchase from the Elio option store so I could haul some extra camping 'stuff' on my cross country ride.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What! No hitch for a bike rack, cargo platform, or trailer option. Disappointing to think the Elio is engineered to have less towing capacity and stability than a CanAm Spyder or most other Trikes that typically pull motorcycle trailers.

The excuse of not taking the necessary time to program the the stability control system lessens the functional value of the Elio and puts lives in danger of those that will tow anyway. Makes no sense. The hitch would have been my first purchase from the Elio option store so I could haul some extra camping 'stuff' on my cross country ride.
Ditto that. I've always guessed that it would have a towing capacity of 300lbs. It's disappointing to see this part of the dream go down in flames.

Top Bottom