• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Weight Loss Thread.

OctoberGlory

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Today, I vow to place myself in a turkey induced coma. :rolleyes:
That will be all...;)

I just got a mental image:

911 Operator:
What's the nature of your emergency?
Caller: It's Bert
911 Operator: What's wrong with Bert?
Caller: He's not moving
911 Operator: Can you see Bert?
Caller: Yes, he's on the sofa.
911 Operator: Is Bert breathing?
Caller: No he's not.
911 Operator: Do you know how to perform CPR and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation?
Caller: You want me to do that to him???
911 Operator: Yes, I will talk you through it until an ambulance arrives.
Caller: I don't think I can do that.
911 Operator: Why?
Caller: He's not breathing, but he's snoring, he's got gravy stains all over his sweater and sweet potato pie all over his face.
911 Operator: Why?
Caller: Because he ate too much turkey! Please, please send help quickly - he started farting now!
911 Operator: Enjoy your Thanksgiving - goodbye.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I baked my pumpkin "pie" in an 8 inch square dish this morning because it will be easier to measure out servings. If I am the only one eating it it will yield 32 servings. This is the first time I have cooked my favorite recipe since before the gastric bypass surgery. One thing gbp does is decrease the desire for sweet so I reduced the number of stevia packets by 2. Not enough. It will take me a while to eat all 32 servings and the extra pumpkin is currently residing in my freezer. Once this pie is gone I will try again only I will decrease the stevia by a total of 6 packets. This time I will simply whip my cream without sugar or sweetener. I usually use only 1 tsp sugar in a cup of cream for whipped cream anyway because I have never liked it sweet which is why I make my own. LOL

The dressing is currently cooking in the roasting pan in the oven. This is also an experiment. I bought an oven browned, gluten free turkey breast from Costco. It can be cooked for an hour before serving if desired. I wasn't sure that would be long enough for my dressing since it is mostly diced raw vegetables so I am roasting them first and then will place the turkey breast on top for the necessary hour. I look forward to the end result because this is the first time preparing the dressing without matzo meal. I substituted one slice of gluten free birdseed bread chopped and 1/4 C Hemp Hearts. I'll let you know what I think after I taste it.

BTW, I just hope I am hungry by the time all this is done. I have had 1 Tablespoon peanut butter with a slice of apple before taking my iron, vit C and B12 early this morning. I tried to eat some soup before taking the rest of my vitamins 3 hours later. I simply was not hungry so had to make due with a few spoonfuls. I did try 1 piece of pie (1/32 remember LOL) and a couple of bites of apple while chopping it for the dressing. I'm still just so not hungry today. That is totally not fair! LOL :-) Z

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm quite pleased with the end results of my Thanksgiving dinner. In fact, I ate 2 servings over a 2-3 hour period. LOL The turkey breast was surprisingly good. The dressing was also but not as browned as it usually gets during the longer cooking time inside a turkey. The meat instructions said to add 1/2 C water and then cover and cook for an hour. I believe next year I will only add 1/4 C water because the vegetables in the dressing and the meat itself all produced some liquid. What I do miss is the gravy. I didn't have any turkey parts to use for cooking the stock for the gravy and I didn't think chicken stock would do the trick.

I mentioned earlier that the pie was too sweet for my taste. I also substituted allspice for cinnamon because I have developed (or possibly always had) a cinnamon allergy since the last time I made the pie. My recipe always gave two choices for the amount of spice and I used the lower amount for the alllspice but the higher amount for the rest. I probably should have used the higher amount for it all.

All in all a very good start for someone who has made so many changes in their eating life style. I have made notes on recipes so next year or next time I can try again. I'm very glad I took the time and effort to prepare this meal. It was very good indeed. I'm also glad I wasn't hungry earlier because I was able to enjoy my meal much more because I had eaten so little. I have not recorded anything but my weight in my journal today. I know I am way below protein levels and just about everything else since my dressing is 3/4 vegetables, 1/8 nuts and 1/8 bread/hemp hearts. Not a lot of carbohydrates there. I still have to sit down and figure the nutrition for the pie but am not worried since I can only eat 1/32 per serving and that not very often. LOL :-) Z

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My low carb sweet potatoes, wild rice, brown rice, quinoa dressing and low carb, no bake, pumpkin cheesecake were a hit with the family! :) They actually ate more of the healthy dressing, than the standard dressing today and everyone took home left over dressing and sweet potatoes. I actually walked away from the table feeling satisfied and not stuffed to the gills and I didn't have the after dinner coma either, like I have every year! I had a small helping of everything except rolls and had a sliver of each pie. I ate more bad carbs today than I have all week but it was worth every bite. I'll pay for it tomorrow on the treadmill. The weather was beautiful near 70 degrees.

Hope everyone had a great day! :) Today ( later ) I hit the treadmill for some extra time, to work off some of those tasty carbs!

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've already simmered and stripped the 2 carcasses ( yes 2 ) 6 quarts of turkey broth, about 2 pounds of turkey, and 3 dogs that won't leave the kitchen, even though I've already taken out the trash with the bones in it!

Top Bottom