• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Is The Status Of The Atvm Loan?

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is a lot of Republican opposition to any program that might make President Obama succeed at ANYthing, and a more generalized GOP hatred of alternative vehicles or tech of any sort, coupled with a religious hatred of any government involvement in any business other than oil. The back pressure on giving loans to startups is paralyzing.

Ditto to what William said!

Fiscal Conservatives support this type of forward looking movement!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I hope this is the last warning I'm going to issue on the necessity to limit political commentary and to make sure that any such commentary stays within the bounds of common courtesy .... I'm speaking directly to a few members who seem to have a penchant for steering conversations into a political direction designed to generate controversy ....

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Worry keeps any business competitive, I'm guessing EM is worried too.

Small cars like the Smart are not well received by USA drivers. That may change with EM's marketing commuter & strategy and the Elio's autocycle platform. Big Auto will follow suit with their three wheeler autocycles if Elio is widely accepted. Elio will maintain the advantage of being the pioneer providing the Elio meets our expectations. I like the idea of competition particularly with the option of evs, luxury, and high performance three wheelers.........oh and tilting for that real feel motorcycle lean.
I at least hope ELIO taps a different market than the smart. Some I know that would not even look at the smart are wide eyed over the ELIO.
Of course if some for smart crowd would like to come over they are welcome.
Elio buyers may be about more than just low cost.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I at least hope ELIO taps a different market than the smart. Some I know that would not even look at the smart are wide eyed over the ELIO.
Of course if some for smart crowd would like to come over they are welcome.
Elio buyers may be about more than just low cost.

A while back I was driving from San Antonio to Junction, TX. There's an upgrade just east of Kerrville. About a mile long and a 300 ft uphill elevation change east to west ... 75 MPH speed zone. There was this man driving a Smart car. Definitely driving white knuckle as the wind was gusting and every time an 18 wheeler went past him he was being blown to the edge of his lane. I was really feeling sorry for the man in that car.
I suspect he would have done a lot better in an Elio.
Thing is, the magnetic sign manufacturers will have to come up with a new temporary sign to put on Elios.

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am hoping that the development of the P5 will light a fire under a few folks and show that this baby's for real.
To do this it has to be a real working machine just like the loan will enable Elio to produce. It needs to be as close to what the public will get as possible.
I think then the power of the people will be felt. Demand will climb off the chart. The government will cave to the pressure. And paul get his loan.
MK

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio has a more lateral surface than Smart, it looks like. So side winds for a 1500 pound vehicle could be fun.

Just for reference I got these dimensions........

Smart 4 2
Wheelbase 1,810 mm (71.3 in)
Length 2,500 mm (98.4 in)
Width 1,510 mm (59.6 in)
Height 1,500 mm (61 in)
Curb weight 1,610 lb (730 kg)

Elio
Overall Length: 160.5″
Overall Height: 54.2″
Front Wheel Track: 66.8″
(center rim to center rim)
Wheelbase: 110″

The Elio looks (to me) like it would handle the gusty crosswinds and turbulence from trucks a lot better on the open road.
I could be wrong.........

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio has a more lateral surface than Smart, it looks like. So side winds for a 1500 pound vehicle could be fun.

One bike I have weights 780lbs the other about 1000lbs while not a lot of fun I have ridden both in 40 mph cross winds . I would thnk the air would flow over and around the ELIO better. The Smart is a box no air flow on the sides

Top Bottom