• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Speed Do We Have To Travel To Get 84mpg?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately many of us will need a straight level road, no wind AND loose a few pounds to meet the prerequisite spec for the 84 mpg.
I'm one of those 6' 170lbs people too; the hard part I'm going to have is the straight level road.
I live in Western Washington and I don't think there are very many level roads around here; Puget Sound is worse; you're either going up hill or down hill, the longest stretch of level is maybe 2 miles near Kent on Hwy 167
Puget Sound Highways.gif

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm one of those 6' 170lbs people too; the hard part I'm going to have is the straight level road.
I live in Western Washington and I don't think there are very many level roads around here; Puget Sound is worse; you're either going up hill or down hill, the longest stretch of level is maybe 2 miles near Kent on Hwy 167 View attachment 6533
Price you pay for living in a lovely part of the world. Let us know what your Elio actually gets!

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Be aware, a long time ago, the ads for the ELIO were changed to read "Up to 84mpg."
Which I think was a good move.
I have talked to the reps at three different showing about that.

Even in my G1 Insight use of the AC does KILL the mpg. More so at slow speed/rpm than at a higher rpm/speed.(But not by much)
The AC is not on ALL the time, it cycles on and off, once the desired temp. is reached.
This is based on years of experience with the G1.
.Bottom Line:
(Tighten up the loose nut on the steering wheel and your MPG will improve.)

Willie

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I used to commute in a Geo Metro with the 3 banger and AC going. Was it sluggish ? you betcha.

But it could still get anywhere I wanted it to without hesitation.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think an electric compressor might be helpful when working with the battery to sustain current to the compressor and eliminating demand spikes. I used to work with variable-displacement hydraulic pumps and they were far superior to constant-displacement or gear pumps, allowing demand to dictate flow in a "closed center" configuration, and almost "freewheel" when fluid was not required. That might turn out to be the best solution for efficiency and cost effectiveness.

One thing overlooked in this discussion is the tiny size of the cabin. With decent insulation it shouldn't take much to cool. There is the question of heat transfer through the glass and plastic body panels as air passing over it continually "wipes" over it.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I hope this is not a case where in order to get 84mpg we have to do 55mph down the highway with no A/C on. Do you think it's possible we could travel at the speed limit (70mph) with A/C on high, and still get 84mpg?

I believe (but have no factual info to back it up) that EM will follow the Federal Standards as closely as is possible .... the same is true for crash testing ... for the results to seem valid to the general public, they will have to

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think an electric compressor might be helpful when working with the battery to sustain current to the compressor and eliminating demand spikes. I used to work with variable-displacement hydraulic pumps and they were far superior to constant-displacement or gear pumps, allowing demand to dictate flow in a "closed center" configuration, and almost "freewheel" when fluid was not required. That might turn out to be the best solution for efficiency and cost effectiveness.

One thing overlooked in this discussion is the tiny size of the cabin. With decent insulation it shouldn't take much to cool. There is the question of heat transfer through the glass and plastic body panels as air passing over it continually "wipes" over it.
Elip has decided whether electric or belt-driven -- unfortunately, i don't remember which! But either way, speculation is useless, because the answer is already set in stone. If I have a chance, I'll see if I can locate the answer, but I'm incredibly busy just now. Wife has decreed a huge party on Saturday, so guess who has to do the prep work?

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, I'm coming in around 225lbs and I actually prefer things on the cooler side (I'm the type of person who runs their A/C close to all-the-time) and I frequently drive 70-75mph down the freeway. So... still can't beat the price, I love the look, but if my situation completely destroys the MPGs, that's going to be a bit of a bummer. I realize part of the problem is me, but I just hope this thing is built well enough that if I still drive my way, I'll still be able to get fantastic MPGs. Perhaps not 84, but hopefully still above 70mpg.

Top Bottom