• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Speed Do We Have To Travel To Get 84mpg?

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elip has decided whether electric or belt-driven -- unfortunately, i don't remember which! But either way, speculation is useless, because the answer is already set in stone. If I have a chance, I'll see if I can locate the answer, but I'm incredibly busy just now. Wife has decreed a huge party on Saturday, so guess who has to do the prep work?

Belt driven. This came to light when the picture of the engine was finally displayed.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, I'm coming in around 225lbs and I actually prefer things on the cooler side (I'm the type of person who runs their A/C close to all-the-time) and I frequently drive 70-75mph down the freeway. So... still can't beat the price, I love the look, but if my situation completely destroys the MPGs, that's going to be a bit of a bummer. I realize part of the problem is me, but I just hope this thing is built well enough that if I still drive my way, I'll still be able to get fantastic MPGs. Perhaps not 84, but hopefully still above 70mpg.
Get the turbo upgrade. That ought to take care of part of the problem, anyhow. I'm planning on it for my own Elio :)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Elip has decided whether electric or belt-driven -- unfortunately, i don't remember which!

Belt driven. This came to light when the picture of the engine was finally displayed.

there was a lengthy discussion about it a while back and per the picture of the engine and corresponding comments from EM that as Bert notes it will be belt driven .... according to performance reports I've seen in various publications, today's AC systems are so efficient that using them (at interstate speed) yields better mpg than running with the windows down

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
there was a lengthy discussion about it a while back and per the picture of the engine and corresponding comments from EM that as Bert notes it will be belt driven .... according to performance reports I've seen in various publications, today's AC systems are so efficient that using them (at interstate speed) yields better mpg than running with the windows down
I sure hope you're right, because I like my AC! But frankly, if the darn car gets 70mpg or something like that, I'll be ecstatic.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
link to a pretty good report on this topic

even if it didn't, I'd be willing to lose a bit of mileage to enjoy the AC
Interesting. I notice that the SAE tests were done on monster engines: a full size SUV with an 8.1-liter V-8 engine and the other was a full-size sedan equipped with a 4.6-liter V-8 engine. The article found that at 55 mph opening the window cost you 20% on the SUV and 10% on the sedan, less below 40 mpg where aerodynamics aren't as important.

The efficiency loss for AC (at highway speeds) was 10% with those monster rigs, so I wonder what it would be with our teeny little power plant. The cited sources for the article all date between 2004 and 2009; I also wonder how much has changed since then (if anything).

I can't believe Elio would commit to killing the car's mpg for the sake of A/C. Maybe the unit they're using is so small and so efficient that it won't be that big a penalty.

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I live in the 3000 ft elevation and travel to the sea elevation several times monthly, around 43 miles one way.
My procedure is up hill...AC off......downhill AC on. Downhill, turning on the AC also is a good braking assist, especially with a small HP engine.
Saves on the front pads, 362 K miles and the front pads have been changed twice. I still have the original rear shoes on the vehicle, and they are good for another 100K.

Going uphill without Ac also lowers the Engine Coolant Temp..

Willie

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
don't you just love getting the chore of prep work
Elip has decided whether electric or belt-driven -- unfortunately, i don't remember which! But either way, speculation is useless, because the answer is already set in stone. If I have a chance, I'll see if I can locate the answer, but I'm incredibly busy just now. Wife has decreed a huge party on Saturday, so guess who has to do the prep work?

Reactions: Ekh

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Get the turbo upgrade. That ought to take care of part of the problem, anyhow. I'm planning on it for my own Elio :)
But a Turbo would destroy MPGs, wouldn't it? Every time you hit boost, it'll suck the gas down, just like any other turbo car, no?

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But a Turbo would destroy MPGs, wouldn't it? Every time you hit boost, it'll suck the gas down, just like any other turbo car, no?
Well, yeah. But a light foot won't engage the turbo all that much, and besides, if I'm going to be sucking gas, I might as well get some performance and fun. If the AC is going to be a drag on performance, the turbo fixes that -- but yes, makes the car more thirsty.

Top Bottom