• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Speed Do We Have To Travel To Get 84mpg?

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is still my #1 question about the Elio. This is definitely one I'd love to speak with them about if I can ever get to a live event, but it's always on my mind.

I'm hoping this isn't a case of 55mph, no A/C, 150lbs max in order to make 84 mpg. I'd love it if we could hit 84mpg while going 70mph with the A/C on while weighing a real weight.

If that were the case, I wonder if we could then hit 120mpg with no A/C driving 55mph? :p

good hearing from ya again
and include a driver that weighs less than 100 lbs. With some chunks out here topping in over a 1/4 of the E's weight.!!!
Wouldn't we all love 84mpg at 70mph w/ a.c. uphill, and a headwind -dream on. I'd be happy w/ 50mpg @ 70, what am I saying,?? I'd be happy just driving mine

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
good hearing from ya again
and include a driver that weighs less than 100 lbs. With some chunks out here topping in over a 1/4 of the E's weight.!!!
Wouldn't we all love 84mpg at 70mph w/ a.c. uphill, and a headwind -dream on. I'd be happy w/ 50mpg @ 70, what am I saying,?? I'd be happy just driving mine
I'd be happy to see one being tested for mpg. Although, happier to see you driving yours.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is still my #1 question about the Elio. This is definitely one I'd love to speak with them about if I can ever get to a live event, but it's always on my mind.

I'm hoping this isn't a case of 55mph, no A/C, 150lbs max in order to make 84 mpg. I'd love it if we could hit 84mpg while going 70mph with the A/C on while weighing a real weight.

If that were the case, I wonder if we could then hit 120mpg with no A/C driving 55mph? :p

They have said before its @65mph with ac. My guess is 100 mpg+ could be possible with hypermiling. We should create a contest to see who can get the highest MPG in a stock Elio.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The design intent is for the Elio to deliver its rated miles per gallon at 65 miles per hour. In part that is what dictated the need for a high torque engine, which in turn dictated the need to design their own. That is what Elio told me back in 2014 and it hasn't changed since.

Last edited:

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They have said before its @65mph with ac. My guess is 100 mpg+ could be possible with hypermiling. We should create a contest to see who can get the highest MPG in a stock Elio.

Hyper-miling is the "other" reason that I want a standard, 5-speed trans...the "first" reason is "simplicity"/ long term cost of ownership. With such good aerodynamics, (even on a light grade) it should be fun to push the clutch and kill the engine...uh, but because that would be illegal, I wouldn't do such a dangerous thing. :decision::bounce:

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The big problem with a highly efficient design is your starting out at the point of diminishing returns. Any additional increase will will come at great time and expense. Will it really be worth $300 to get 1/4 of mile per gallon increase? From a practical standpoint of course it's just not worth it. From a fun standpoint it's worth every penny.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hyper-miling is the "other" reason that I want a standard, 5-speed trans...the "first" reason is "simplicity"/ long term cost of ownership. With such good aerodynamics, (even on a light grade) it should be fun to push the clutch and kill the engine...uh, but because that would be illegal, I wouldn't do such a dangerous thing. :decision::bounce:
That's what I'm talking about! Heel and toe driving is what real driving is all about! It keeps me awake and alert! I don't have time or the patience for automatic to shift gears for me! :D

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The design intent is for the Elio to deliver its rated miles per gallon at 65 miles per hour. In part that is what dictated the need for a high torque engine, which in turn dictated the need to design their own. That is what Elio told me back in 2014 and it hasn't changed since.

So at 70-75mph I wonder if we'll still be able to hit 70+mpg?

Top Bottom