• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wheels & Tires

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Trouble is, a dresser motorcycle is normally owned by an enthusiast who is proud of his machine and wants everything to be perfect. The Elio is designed to appeal to the masses, many of whom just want a cheap method of transport. For many people, routine maintenance doesn't get done.

In UK cars need an annual road worthiness/ safety check, known as the MOT test. Many drivers allow their car to fail because there is a defective lightbulb or two, or no fluid in the windscreen washer bottle. If they let this happen, checking tyre pressures is probably not their most pressing concern, especially so if the tyre valves are inaccessible.

nthawk68

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Trouble is, a dresser motorcycle is normally owned by an enthusiast who is proud of his machine and wants everything to be perfect. The Elio is designed to appeal to the masses, many of whom just want a cheap method of transport. For many people, routine maintenance doesn't get done.

In UK cars need an annual road worthiness/ safety check, known as the MOT test. Many drivers allow their car to fail because there is a defective lightbulb or two, or no fluid in the windscreen washer bottle. If they let this happen, checking tyre pressures is probably not their most pressing concern, especially so if the tyre valves are inaccessible.
I remember those tests, and used to cuss each year I had to get them done, but in retrospect they were a good safety check.... You Blokes do some things right LOL

Oldfarmer

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the front tires will be motorcycle tires, made specifically for the Elio. That seems like a bad idea. First, motorcycle tires do not have the tread life of a car tire, and second, if we have to buy a proprietary tire for the front, doesn't that fly in the face of off-the-shelf parts philosophy? Motorcycle tires are designed to keep traction when you're leaning...the Elio will not lean, thus no need for cycle tires. Cycle tires will not last as long as a car tire. Seems a car tire in a readily-available size would perform just fine, but might cost a couple of mpg. Any feedback from our learned members?
Absolutely right. I'm lucky to get 5000 miles on a set of MC tires. But at the cost of replacing tires that often, a better car tire would be worth the lost mpg's.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Absolutely right. I'm lucky to get 5000 miles on a set of MC tires. But at the cost of replacing tires that often, a better car tire would be worth the lost mpg's.
Depends on the tire and maker Current ones on my RGU get 20-21K rear and over 30 on front. Dunlop.
My softail gets about 6000 on rear a softer tire and it is ridden a bit different.

Top Bottom