• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Did 84 Mpg Come From?

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I fine it very difficult to understand why anyone would reply or share information in these threads. It seems if you post something folks spend more time trying to discredit your answer or source than offering a counterpoint. Oh well what can you expect when no official news if forthcoming, all that left is to argue. It is sad but it is human nature. Although I have over thirty years in the Auto Industry you folks seem not to need my insights on questions, I have not made up my mind yet if I will continue using the forums.
Don't go anywhere man, we can always use your 30 years experience in the auto industry! Heated exchanges is a healthy thing! Challenges your brain to defend your position. Fortunately there's a lot of knowledgeable people here that knows what they are talking about based on their experiences in auto industry, engineering, etc. so we gained insight on a particular subject. I can be testy and nasty too at the same time but I know when to shut up if I need to learn than argue. A must if you choose to stay in this forum....you can't have onion skin!;)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But why is that important? There is a very profound reason for this and it has nothing to do with fuel economy or aerodynamics. It has everything to do with marketing a product to the American public. It is what directly ties three of the four must have together.

One of those three has nothing to do with the thread topic here and that is safety, but still important. Americans drive large SUV's, trucks and cars because they give us a since of safety. That is why the five star safety rating is so important.

Back to our thread topic though. Why is 84 mpg so important? This is tied directly to the $6,800 price tag. By achieving 84mpg a commuter can literally use the savings in fuel to purchase the car. Paul wants to make it undeniably obvious that it would be ignorant to NOT purchase his product. You can still own your large suv, truck or car and buy this car with no additional out of pocket cost. It is like Elio Motors is giving you a free car. WHAT?! A FREE CAR?! That's why I made my deposit. If someone is going to offer me a free car, I'm not going to turn them down. That is what Paul Elio has done. I can do what I do now and pay $200-$220 a month in gas or I can pay $180-$200 a month for a car payment and gas, keep my existing cars and own/ drive a brand new car. How could you say no? I'm netting a $20 profit every month and it only gets better the sooner I pay it off. NO BRAINER! That's why 84mpg is so important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know that. And that's why I'm getting one. Well, that and the fact that I want to support someone who is going to help raise the average fuel economy. In fact, your argument is the VERY SAME argument I used to get my wife behind the Elio as well. Well, not exactly, but pointing out how the fuel savings alone (in my case) will make it like Elio is paying me every month to drive one. since I spend $320 a month on Diesel fuel and the Elio should only cost me $57, I'll come out quite ahead.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But why is that important? There is a very profound reason for this and it has nothing to do with fuel economy or aerodynamics. It has everything to do with marketing a product to the American public. It is what directly ties three of the four must have together.

One of those three has nothing to do with the thread topic here and that is safety, but still important. Americans drive large SUV's, trucks and cars because they give us a since of safety. That is why the five star safety rating is so important.

Back to our thread topic though. Why is 84 mpg so important? This is tied directly to the $6,800 price tag. By achieving 84mpg a commuter can literally use the savings in fuel to purchase the car. Paul wants to make it undeniably obvious that it would be ignorant to NOT purchase his product. You can still own your large suv, truck or car and buy this car with no additional out of pocket cost. It is like Elio Motors is giving you a free car. WHAT?! A FREE CAR?! That's why I made my deposit. If someone is going to offer me a free car, I'm not going to turn them down. That is what Paul Elio has done. I can do what I do now and pay $200-$220 a month in gas or I can pay $180-$200 a month for a car payment and gas, keep my existing cars and own/ drive a brand new car. How could you say no? I'm netting a $20 profit every month and it only gets better the sooner I pay it off. NO BRAINER! That's why 84mpg is so important.

This exactly my situation as well. We figured that gas plus car payment with the Elio would be cheaper than gas alone on my SUV. Keep the SUV for family drives. It is really a no brainer.

Brian1362

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know that. And that's why I'm getting one. Well, that and the fact that I want to support someone who is going to help raise the average fuel economy. In fact, your argument is the VERY SAME argument I used to get my wife behind the Elio as well. Well, not exactly, but pointing out how the fuel savings alone (in my case) will make it like Elio is paying me every month to drive one. since I spend $320 a month on Diesel fuel and the Elio should only cost me $57, I'll come out quite ahead.
I wonder why T. Boone Pickens, of "Pickens Plan, " an oil man who is turning to green energy, isn't on this wagon? Seems like he would be all for it.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Well said.

Marine 7

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope they keep the Elio listed as a motorcycle. If you drive an Auto. the Fed. Gov. is working on a plan to charge you a tax on the miles you drive in a year. Autos only. Has anyone else heard about this tax?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder why T. Boone Pickens, of "Pickens Plan, " an oil man who is turning to green energy, isn't on this wagon? Seems like he would be all for it.
I don't know. Some people think that to get us out of our oil deficit, the only solution is "zero emissions". Well, how about this... the Elio will cut my fuel consumtion by 82%... That's a good start... At least for me, it is. Reminds me of the story of a little girl walking on the beach with her Dad... there were starfish all over the beach and she'd go up and throw them in the water as they went along. The Dad said "There are millions of Starfish. You can't possibly make a difference." She throws another one in the water and says "Made a difference to that one."

Top Bottom