• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Did 84 Mpg Come From?

KaziQaleph

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen a fair bit of talk from the Elio camp about how they're tweaking this or that trying their damnedest to get to 84 mpg. Don't get me wrong, gas mileage is a good thing and all that, but do we have any idea what's so magical about 84? I'd rather the car come out tomorrow with 75 mpg than see them experience delay after delay because they're hell bent on some arbitrarily chosen number.

You have to understand how many legal hurdles and red tape this company is facing. They are fighting to secure the LA plant and start production.

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I heard about it, but then again, if you subscribe to Government Conspiracy Theories, you hear much.
I despise all the ways the government comes up with to separate us from our money. Unfortunately, I think this is closer to a reality than a conspiracy. If it happens, I hope it happens after 2015. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hope they keep the Elio listed as a motorcycle. If you drive an Auto. the Fed. Gov. is working on a plan to charge you a tax on the miles you drive in a year. Autos only. Has anyone else heard about this tax?

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/159397-obama-floats-plan-to-tax-cars-by-the-mile

http://capoliticalnews.com/2014/03/28/proposed-socal-tax-would-charge-drivers-based-on-miles-driven/

http://myfox8.com/2014/04/02/north-...-be-charged-by-the-mile-ncdot-hears-proposal/

So far just an idea, but that's how all things start.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
+tolls, +fuel surcharges, +sales tax(on the Elio), +DMV fees........ How many times can we get charged for our transportation we drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's four. If there is a milage tax that would bring it to five. Then what, an oxygen tax for combustion and a carbon dioxide tax for emissions…? They will always find a way.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
LOL... I just read that they are trying to toll the Inerstate highways but get rid of the .185 per gallon tax that currently funds roads. As cars get more efficient or, in the case of electrics, use no gas, where will the funds to repair roads come from? Just a question I have... there's no good answer.

PhilGoings

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But why is that important? There is a very profound reason for this and it has nothing to do with fuel economy or aerodynamics. It has everything to do with marketing a product to the American public. It is what directly ties three of the four must have together.

One of those three has nothing to do with the thread topic here and that is safety, but still important. Americans drive large SUV's, trucks and cars because they give us a since of safety. That is why the five star safety rating is so important.

Back to our thread topic though. Why is 84 mpg so important? This is tied directly to the $6,800 price tag. By achieving 84mpg a commuter can literally use the savings in fuel to purchase the car. Paul wants to make it undeniably obvious that it would be ignorant to NOT purchase his product. You can still own your large suv, truck or car and buy this car with no additional out of pocket cost. It is like Elio Motors is giving you a free car. WHAT?! A FREE CAR?! That's why I made my deposit. If someone is going to offer me a free car, I'm not going to turn them down. That is what Paul Elio has done. I can do what I do now and pay $200-$220 a month in gas or I can pay $180-$200 a month for a car payment and gas, keep my existing cars and own/ drive a brand new car. How could you say no? I'm netting a $20 profit every month and it only gets better the sooner I pay it off. NO BRAINER! That's why 84mpg is so important.

Very well said Cali Chris, that should help people while we are waiting for the Elio. I have two cars one is a 2014 Buick Lacross, this is our family car and the one my wife drives, she will probably never ride in my Elio just as she never rides on my motorcycle. I have an SUV on a lease coming of lease 7/5/2015 I had a business doing CPR and First aid training. The SUV was needed to haul manikins and supplies for the classes. I have since left the business and don't need a big car any more. It gets 25-27 mpg. around town and over 35 on the highway, now I just run around town to go for coffee and motorcycle club meetings when it is not good riding weather. I also have a bike that gets 44-53 mpg. for summer motivating. It doesn't have to be said how much I could save on gas every year, as said in Cali Chris's post. One more thing, as far as safety I ride a bike around 7000 miles a year and the Elio is much safer than a bike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom