• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Did 84 Mpg Come From?

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
here on the Island my "everyday" transportation is a Yamaha TW200

it holds 1.2 gall gas

gets about 70 mpg

all I care about is when the engine sputters I have to flip the fuel petcock up to the reserve position, and know I have to get gas sometime (within about 20 miles ?)

that is my "reference"

any vehicle weighing 1200# is going to get 50 MPG

do I REALLY care if it gets 84 ? NOOOOOO !

if it only got 35 would I care ?

NOOOOOOOOO !

i would adjust my "reference" point to realize when I needed to find a gas station ..

we are all SPOILED ! WHO REALLY CARES ABOUT GAS MILEAGE ??

blah blah blah

saying you can drive cross country on one tank of gas ? WHO CAN SIT IN A SEAT FOR 3000 MILES ?? just stupid advertising

I realize they need some "hook" to get those magic reservation numbers up up up, so they can secure more financing !

probably the only REAL NUMBER they need is 100,000 reservations ! something to help secure more funding..

i would expect in another two years there be an announcement that they are ready to start production, and they need 50% down payment on every reservation, with the other 50% before the vehicle leaves the factory..

maybe even 100% down payment up front !

THAT will be the line that will thin out the herd …they will be losing money on the first 10,000 vehicles, and THAT will be the big hurdle to overcome ..
just my thoughts this Saturday Morning from here in the Caribbean …

:)View attachment 3126
Now I get it! You're in St. Thomas, USVI - 31.23 sq. miles or 80.91 km. Hahahaha! Oh yeah, I won't care about gas either if I live where you live!!! I can just run from end to end of your island and be back before sunset...and I'm not even a runner! Or do I dare drive it for what....less than 20 mins??? Hahaha! No wonder you don't care! Or why your cars look mint! Wake up man, it is not what it is here in mainland USA! ;) Here's another one for you...my wife's Honda Civic 2003, 216,000 miles, the only major service done, timing belt change. My Toyota Corolla 1999, 256,000, major service done, clutch disc replacement! Your 1990 Audi w/ 50,000, in here we call it "almost brand new"! In your island, you can call your vehicles as toys, because you don't really need it! Here, we take our cars seriously! 'Just sayin. ;)

Last edited:

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
here on the Island my "everyday" transportation is a Yamaha ....

all I care about is when the engine sputters
we are all SPOILED ! WHO REALLY CARES ABOUT GAS MILEAGE ??........

just my thoughts this Saturday Morning from here in the Caribbean …

:)View attachment 3126
Wow EZ, I'm not sure what to make of that. That's like a satire right? Just kidding? I'm assuming you can't be serious, right? Can ANYONE be that far removed from reality?

EZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
St JOHN, USVI

13 miles long x 3 mi wide

the Island is 3/4 a NATION AL PARK ! FOR REAL ! NO DEVELOPMENT

ISLAND SPEED LIMIT IS 25 MPH

DONKEYS AND GOATS ROAM WILD

NO STOP LIGHTS

NO RADAR

DRINKING AND DRIVING IS OK AS LONG AS YOU HAVE YOUR SEAT BELT ON AND DO NOT GET IN AN ACCIDENT !

I have driven the HOV lanes in California

I have zipped along I95 on East Coast of Florida doing 95 MPH

I used to drive five times a month from Vermont to Boston Logan Airport

204 miles EACH WAY !!

now 63 retired to the Islands

Paul Elio IS NOT A MINISTER !

HE IS A BUSINESSMAN !

make NO MISTAKE, why are the deposits NOT REFUNDABLE ??

just got turned on to the POLARIS SLINGSHOT

funny there are people on THAT blog who have deposits on the ELIO !

the Slingshot DOES NOT MENTION MPG

WHO CARES ! THAT THREE WHEELER ALL ABOUT

FUN !!

but they are already IN PRODUCTION AND BEING DELIVERED !

after two years !

price is $20,000. base model $24,000. fancy tires and wheels

engine is a Ford Ecotec Engine

it is all about burning out the rear tire !!

FUNNNNNNN !!

I think anyone with a deposit down for an Elio needs to keep an OPEN MIND, and watch what is happening with other three wheelers in production !

go on Yahoo and join the Grinnall Scorpion Group

join the Slingshot Blog

Join the Trihawk Blog

the Paul Elio three wheeler is just ONE MAN's vision to an economical vehicle, which happens to use the loophole for three wheels being a motorcycle ,

it is NOT a UFO

it is NOT a miracle machine

just one POSSIBLE solution to create an inexpensive transportation getting good GASOLINE MILEAGE (NOT AN EV)

at an economical price

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Reality is mainland anywhere.
Removed from reality is any tropical paradise.;)
I guess when you have the money to live in a tropical paradise you probably DON'T care about mpg OR the price of gas. I personally am one of the large majority of people who are NOT rich. 10% of my income goes into the gas tank, and I figure the Elio would save me about $2500 per year in gas alone. That's money that SHOULD be going home to my family, and it would mean a LOT to us. Where I come from that's called being a grown-up and doing basic math. Some of us who live in that place I like to call the real world, have to go to where the work is, and that might not be around the corner, despite whatever relevance "average" is supposed to have. We're certainly not ALL spoiled.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I guess when you have the money to live in a tropical paradise you probably DON'T care about mpg OR the price of gas. I personally am one of the large majority of people who are NOT rich. 10% of my income goes into the gas tank, and I figure the Elio would save me about $2500 per year in gas alone. That's money that SHOULD be going home to my family, and it would mean a LOT to us. Where I come from that's called being a grown-up and doing basic math. Some of us who live in that place I like to call the real world, have to go to where the work is, and that might not be around the corner, despite whatever relevance "average" is supposed to have. We're certainly not ALL spoiled.
I agree with you.

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
His little corner of this globe does not equal the world, or even reality.

EZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
reality is all about!

REALITY ??

i was not born here !

I was an Airline Pilot for 28 years, commuting to work.

I drove 204 miles Vermont to Boston

I drove 265 miles Vermont to JFK

I drove 95 miles to Albany NY then got on an airplane and commuted 850 miles WEST to Chicago so I could fly 12 hours EAST to Europe ..

Same deal to Miami so I could fly 12 hours to Rio !

I have driven coast to coast about 20 times

with just ONE GAS STATION ON ISLAND I drive 45 minutes to get gas

groceries requires a 45 minute drive to the Ferry Dock then a 30 minute boat ride to STT then 30 minutes to get to the grocery !

REALITY ….Paul Elio did NOT try to create an EV !

we all know of different companies that have tried and failed at that endeavor !

my little Freeway (packed away in storage) gets 100 MPG with a Tecumseh 18 HP motor…

1975 technology

it worked

the ONLY THING THAT REALLY MATTERS, WILL THE PAUL ELIO MOBILE EVER GET BUILT !

GAS MILEAGE
SPEED
PRICE
COLOR
DEPENDABILITY

ALL MEANS NOTHING if it does not get manufactured ...

Last edited by a moderator:

EZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
spoiled ?

I WORKED 28 YEARS AND PLANNED TO RETIRE IN THE Caribbean !

my house is 300 sq/ft !! yes 300 sq/ft !

no a/c
no heat

i collect rain water on my roof into my cistern

I drive a 200 cc Yamaha TW200 motorcycle EVERY DAY !

75 MPG

IMG_4673.JPG

my grocery shopping vehicle !

MY REALITY !!

Top Bottom