• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Did 84 Mpg Come From?

EZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
typical "ISLAND CAR"

SUZUKI VITARA

IMG_4316.JPG

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Island Living …

Mi Casa …
300 sq/ft

View attachment 3136

View attachment 3138

You know we are all green with envy.
No sarcasm intended. I think it's great that you were able to plan your retirement and are now living your dream. On the other hand, we are all very aware of the risks involved with the role we play in this endeavor, and that is, lay our money down and wait. We are also aware of our choice of "Refundable deposit" or "all in"...our choice.
You are right, Paul Elio Is not a minister or a god. If he was, there would be no need of our support. He is an intelligent engineer and a "geek" who has a gift for getting folks to work together for a greater goal.
I can't help but wonder tho, if maybe you aren't a bit green...probably wont be cheap or practical to have one of these shipped to your little paradise. :(

Motowarrior

Reaction score
Current 250cc motorcycles with around 20 hp and 300 lbs in weight get around 70-80 mpg at 65 - 70 mph. Hard to see how a 60 hp "motorcycle" that weighs over 1200 lbs is going to get 84 mpg on the highway, even with far better streamlining. A reasonable goal would be 60-65 mpg, and it would still be well over double the current mpg average for cars and cost less than half the price of an econobox.

EZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
YES !
I have my deposit down just like everyone else.

I am hoping Paul Elio is 100% successful !

I would love to see these little three wheelers all over the Islands !

The Suzuki was the vehicle of choice out here for many years, now all the rental companies have full size JEEPS ! after five years , by LAW, they are forced to sell the rentals and buy new vehicles, and the Jeeps go out into the residents fleets.

we drive on the LEFT side of the road, with no guard rails. The Islands are MOUNTAINOUS, going from Sea Level to 2000' then back down.

it would be SOOO COOOL to see these all over.

just for the FUN factor.

I pass along the info to everyone I know, I WANT THIS TO SUCCEED !!

I am prepared to put down the $6800. IMMEDIATELY

will these three wheelers help the "WORLD" ??

they take up the same space as a normal vehicle ..so easing congestion , in my opinion, is NOT a big factor ..

I would LOVE to see these as EV's, as most of the 450 homes on the Island have solar panels, and with sunshine 365 days/year, an electric version would be glorious ! we do pay $5.00 a gallon for gas, but with max distance only 13 miles from end to end, the expense of gas is NOT an important factor.

I just want a BRIGHT YELLOW !!!!

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Current 250cc motorcycles with around 20 hp and 300 lbs in weight get around 70-80 mpg at 65 - 70 mph. Hard to see how a 60 hp "motorcycle" that weighs over 1200 lbs is going to get 84 mpg on the highway, even with far better streamlining. A reasonable goal would be 60-65 mpg, and it would still be well over double the current mpg average for cars and cost less than half the price of an econobox.
virago004.jpg

This gets 74mpg city and close to 80mpg highway.
It's not hard to see how the Elio will get close to, and possibly even achieve, 84mpg.
What you're not taking into account is that almost all MC engines, including this one, are horribly inefficient.
The mpg of motorcycles has been considered to be "good enough" by mfgs and the public alike for almost a century.
Consequently, motorcycle manufacturers have nothing to gain by, nor any interest in, developing more efficient engines.
The US federal government is mandating (forcing) gradual increases in mpg for new cars up to some pretty lofty goals for 2025.
Most of the mfgs are putting thier eggs in the expensive hybrid and EV baskets to achieve that on the usual status quo behemoths.
My opinion is: Let's at lease give EM the chance to show us what they've come up with.
It may not reach 84mpg for everyone, but I'll bet it's going to be very close.
I'll also bet that I'll be able to get 84mpg with the same driving techiques that I use with this bike.

Last edited:

EZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ps I have 9 =300 watt solar panels with grid interconnect (underground net metering)

in Vermont I had three 10KW wind generators

24 65 watt 24volt panels

batteries inverters

etc

the whole package

my DREAM was to have the Corbin Sparrow three wheeler being filled every day by the sun ..

i use about 5 gallons of gas PER MONTH !

yes PER MONTH

MY HONDA Element sits here wrapped in tarps used ONLY to carry my dogs (15) to the Vet if there is an emergency …

we walk to the beach so they can swim every day, ..

a very very simple life !

afternoon naps are a requirement !

in bed at 7pm

simple life

a Paul Elio Mobile with a good working a/c to do shopping to the next island {St Thomas) would be awesome !

IMG_4807.JPG

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Vetter fairing has been known to put a 250cc bike over 200mpg and better.
http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/470MPG/high mileage fairing.html
I've always felt that 84mpg was quite reasonable given I know of 1200lb sociable 4wheelers that get up to 110mpg on national highways.

A lot of this tech is like a 3 legged chair, you need to match all three legs to raise it up any. In this case it's 4 legs, the engine, the gearing, the aero, and the weight(and the tires and ... ).

There are plenty of 50cc mini-bikes that don't get over 50mpg at any respectible speed.

Last edited:

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ps I have 9 =300 watt solar panels with grid interconnect (underground net metering)
in Vermont I had three 10KW wind generators
24 65 watt 24volt panels
batteries inverters
etc
the whole package
my DREAM was to have the Corbin Sparrow three wheeler being filled every day by the sun ..
i use about 5 gallons of gas PER MONTH !
yes PER MONTH
MY HONDA Element sits here wrapped in tarps used ONLY to carry my dogs (15) to the Vet if there is an emergency …
we walk to the beach so they can swim every day, ..
a very very simple life !
afternoon naps are a requirement !
in bed at 7pm
simple life
a Paul Elio Mobile with a good working a/c to do shopping to the next island {St Thomas) would be awesome !

View attachment 3141

Man EZ, you got it made in a lot of ways. I would not mind at all to be in your shoes. A tropical island and my sailboard and maybe a cold one after a great session on the water as the sun sets.....
But, then there's the wife and kids and life gets MUCH more complicated. All the priorities shift, and the next thing you know, the warm sand is a memory, the sailboard has been in the garage for 5 years covered in dust, and I'm looking over the inevitable abyss of another northern Michigan winter.
Here in the north, solar power is inefficient, and electric cars doubly so. Batteries don't work so well in the cold, running a heater on batteries would drain them in nothing flat, and the distances to ANYTHING are a huge problem. An ICE vehicle can go short OR long distances, instead of only short. And for the long distances fuel efficiency reigns supreme. I hate putting half my discresionary income into the gas tank, and I also hate having the carbon footprint of burning a small lake of gas per year just getting to work and back.
It would be an interesting project to get hold of an Elio and retro it into an EV as a proof of concept vehicle. Then if the results are good, maybe an EV division of Elio, or a small custom company could be set up to make Elio-EV from rolling chasis purchased from Elio. Just a thought, and I'm sure someone out there could do it. Just not someone with my limited resources.
Enjoy a little warmth for us poor s.o.b.'s up north. I'll be happy to build a snowman for you. :-)

EZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
hang in there !

come down to St John and visit, I will give you a bike to ride to tour the island !

Top Bottom