• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Did 84 Mpg Come From?

gio

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I've seen a fair bit of talk from the Elio camp about how they're tweaking this or that trying their damnedest to get to 84 mpg. Don't get me wrong, gas mileage is a good thing and all that, but do we have any idea what's so magical about 84? I'd rather the car come out tomorrow with 75 mpg than see them experience delay after delay because they're hell bent on some arbitrarily chosen number.
You damn right Inigo93,I would rather get 75 or even a real 65 with the same body style they had on our tee shirts.The car that looked like a roadster is changing into a Mickey Mouse or a Tonka car with the ugly full front fender and the rear end...the headlight...they're gonna ask us for more money to have it like in those road shows,I bet you.

Brainmatter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is where my 2001 ST Explorer and I don't fit the model. I bought this truck new and have always gotten at least 18-20 mpg. It is advertised at 17/21. Of course my commute has always been 25 - 35 miles one way with one stop light and no express ways (or much traffic) on the route. I am looking forward to 84 mpg and avoiding deer (maybe they could jump me?) with the Elio.
The biggest drag on fuel economy is how one drives.
One of the biggest complaints I used to get from new car owners was poor fuel economy, can't get what the sticker says, not even close! Some guys would be super angry. So I'd hook up the equipment and take them for a road test, 20 miles. I'd get the claimed fuel economy from my stall, through and out of town every time. All the while I'd explain how I was driving. Halfway back I'd switch places and let the owner drive. They'd take off and as soon as they hit the highway if I had it up to 25mpg they'd have it dropped down to 19. Just because if how they drive.
I never had a comeback.

WAYNE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
100_1810.JPG
It appears we all have different reasons for buying an Elio.. I'm so friggin old ( but still cute) that I want something different to play with, others who are younger for economy reasons .But for us guys, just another toy to get chics attention..
A cute dog helps also.

Last edited:

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With three other males, I bought a fourth of a baby Bassett hound while in college...that was one bird retrieving hound. Girls would line up to kneel in front of me.

PhilGoings

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe 100 mpg is quite possible.

At one point many years ago someone had invented a carburetor believed to be capable on 100 mpg. The government bought the rights to it and it was never seen again. And this was in the day of the V8, this was shot down by those in power who made money on oil. So I guess anything is possible.

Last edited:

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At one point many years ago someone had invented a carburetor believed to be capable on 100 mpg. The government bought the rights to it and it was never seen again. And this was in the day of the V8, this was done by those in power who made money on oil. So I guess anything is possible.
I ain't smart nuff to know what you are getting at here but the government shows their ass daily..
I remember a drunk senator who met a con in a strip club who told him he was a scientest and needed a grant to harness the northern lights for energy,that was in the 80's, he got a 21 million grant to do so,,Ain't seen a lasso around um yet.

Last edited:

PhilGoings

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I ain't smart nuff to know what you are getting at here but the government shows their ass daily..
I remember a drunk senator who met a con in a strip club who told him he was a scientest and needed a grant to harnessthe northern lights for energy,that was in the 80's, he got a 21 million grant to do so,,Ain't seen a lasso around um yet.

Read drbob's post to see why I posted that.

Top Bottom